Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Jon.peak
Registered Member

Bio pellet reactor... tank crashing

need help ever since i added my biopellet reactor i have lost 4 fish. Hair algea everywhere.... cycno.... did i cause this adding the reactor or could my water be bad... I was thinking maybe my RO DI needed new filters.... I just ordered some today and a TDS meter. Is there a reason why the bio pellets could of caused this and should i turn it off.

_________

75 Gallon Reef, 14 Gallon Biocube
Coralife Light 4-T5HO ATI bulbs, 3 LED Par38 bulbs
Reef Octopus 160 Protein skimmer
Coralife 18watt UV
20L sump/fuge
2-Hydor Koralia 750gph

Jon.peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2012, 07:47 PM   #2
FIREFISHPAT
Registered Member

I think you should test your nitrates and phosphate. How much pellets did you start. Less than half the dose should you started with. Than in a few weeks add a little more at a time. Ro/Di won't cause death to fish. But could add phoshate which will let hair algea grow. You could of introduced a bactica bloom that could of killed your fish with pellets if not skimmering. I would removed the pellets and test your water and do a water change too.

FIREFISHPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Toadally
Registered Member

How long have you had the pellets online? It takes over a month or sometimes longer for them to get started. If you have GHA it's probably due to water quality issues and there may be other parameters out of wack. Check all your parameters especially your ammonia level.

"Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here,
and drink whatever comes out?"

Reef Aquarium Society of Charlotte (RASOC) Treasurer

Current Tank Info: 57gal. Illuminata, Bubble Magus Skimmer, Tek Elite 6x39w, 40gal. Breeder, 2x A150w Kessil LED
Toadally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2012, 11:49 PM   #4
karsseboom
Registered Member

Bio pellets would have no effect on you fish I would look into something else.

karsseboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2012, 08:15 AM   #5
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

If a bacterial bloom occured , spurred on by the pellets and/or an ammonia spike , oxygen depletion would kill fish. Is/was the water cloudy?

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote