Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04/29/2012, 10:47 PM   #1
iced98lx

180 Gallon In Wall Build

Hi all! Taking a break from my other passions (cars) to take on a new hobby. I work from home and spend 10+ hours a day in my office, and have always wanted a fish tank. I had a fresh water tank while in college, and have a cat and a dog now, so I wasn't exactly looking to start a big tank, but the opportunity presented itself!

I snagged a 180 RR tank locally for a great price, and then a 50 gallon sump for an equally good price. Part of the plan is while finishing my home theater I'll be re-doing the two bedrooms in the basement and flip flopping which room my office is in. The tank was originally going to sit in the theater, but with the amount of light it will put off and how little we're in the theater doing anything other than movies and TV I thought building it into the office was a great idea.

Other bennies include that the tank will be sitting in the utility / laundry room so it'll have plenty of room fro stuff and will have a drain & water hookups right there, etc.

Here you can see the tank hanging out, waiting for parts to arrive. I just got in my dual TDS meter, and my RO/DI unit should arrive later this week along with some collection barrels to get started making water in. This will be a slow build and a multi-phase project as I'll be re-doing the room it's going into, plus building the stand and tearing a hole in the wall as we go along.

Anyway, getting some ideas put together for plumbing etc. The end goal is a mixed coral tank with a few fish to keep the action going. I'll probably start with rock/sand and a couple fish while I build my lights.

I'm new, so I'm always open to suggestions and feedback. I don't believe anything in this hobby happens quickly, so I'm not in any rush to get water in anything or buy fish or anything, but I am excited to get things going!

My sump is a 50 gallon tank, and I'm thinking another 40 or 50 gallon split in 1/2 for a QT & refuge.

Some concerns I have right away: plumbing schematics- I can put it together but it looks like it'll be quite a bit of work by the time you plumb in the refuge side of another tank, the sump setup, ATO, plumb for easy water changes, etc. How big of a pump am I going to need? Can I plumb to avoid needing a bunch of 'wave makers' or 'powerheads' in my DT while still keeping enough flow for my coral??

So, lots of questions incoming, i've been doing a *ton* of reading so everytime I read something more questions come up!

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2012, 07:42 AM   #2
mrbee2828
Registered Member

Sounds like a plan. I work from home as well and started with a 55g tall cichlid build to break back into the hobby after a long break. I placed it right be hind my desk so when I'm debugging code or having a creative block I can swing around and stare at it. I setup a SW build in my garage to experiment and now I want to flip the FW build into another reef

mrbee2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2012, 08:42 AM   #3
niteowl03
Registered Member

My tank sits behind my desk at home as well. Definately makes for a great distraction.!

niteowl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2012, 09:29 AM   #4
iced98lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbee2828 View Post
Sounds like a plan. I work from home as well and started with a 55g tall cichlid build to break back into the hobby after a long break. I placed it right be hind my desk so when I'm debugging code or having a creative block I can swing around and stare at it. I setup a SW build in my garage to experiment and now I want to flip the FW build into another reef
Quote:
Originally Posted by niteowl03 View Post
My tank sits behind my desk at home as well. Definately makes for a great distraction.!
exactly. As a software architect, I need the distraction!!

Old 04/30/2012, 09:57 AM   #5
iced98lx

Old 04/30/2012, 10:02 AM   #6
laredo300c
Registered Member

Congratulations, the perfect size tank in my opinion.

laredo300c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2012, 10:02 AM   #7
iced98lx

New home from the office side:

New home from the utility room side:

Old 04/30/2012, 01:33 PM   #8
iced98lx

That whole rack is getting downsized to this:

To Make room. I'm also pulling a fresh 20 am run for the home theater equipment and two more 20's on individual breakers for the fish tank stuff.

Old 05/01/2012, 11:49 AM   #9
iced98lx

Started sketching the plumbing. Am I insane to want a closed loop with no powerheads??

Old 05/02/2012, 05:59 AM   #10
thor109
Registered Member.

Your crazy for wanting you own personal ocean.....just kidding.
I think its cheaper to use power heads. Purchase price and operating costs. It also gives you more components so if one fails your not in trouble. It's nice not have things like power heads in your tank. I reverse the flow in my tank every 30 minutes to keep things stirred. Its harder to do that with a closed loop.

thor109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2012, 09:24 AM   #11
iced98lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor109 View Post
Your crazy for wanting you own personal ocean.....just kidding.
I think its cheaper to use power heads. Purchase price and operating costs. It also gives you more components so if one fails your not in trouble. It's nice not have things like power heads in your tank. I reverse the flow in my tank every 30 minutes to keep things stirred. Its harder to do that with a closed loop.
LOL!

10-4. I think based on my controller selection I'll want power heads, something I can control with the reefangel.

I picked up the Sump last night, ever wonder what a 55 gallon tank looks like in a JEEP?

Plenty of room.

Old 05/02/2012, 09:50 AM   #12
iced98lx

Woohoo. RO/DI showed up today. One more piece of the puzzle taken care of. Plan is a 55 gallon drum for fresh and a 55 marked for 50 to mix salt in.

Old 05/02/2012, 12:05 PM   #13
pbhere
Registered Member

Wow! This is gonna be great Iced. I'm building mine into the wall in my theater room. My theater room is in the basement and I painted the rafters and duct work black so it's plenty dark and hopefully the light from the tank won't be too much.

Anyway, before you hook up that RO unit directly to your ATO, please read this article.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/ml/index.php

Good luck with the build!

pbhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2012, 12:55 PM   #14
iced98lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhere View Post
Wow! This is gonna be great Iced. I'm building mine into the wall in my theater room. My theater room is in the basement and I painted the rafters and duct work black so it's plenty dark and hopefully the light from the tank won't be too much.

Anyway, before you hook up that RO unit directly to your ATO, please read this article.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/ml/index.php

Good luck with the build!
Thanks, the Tank is going in a wall that is in the office, it's just sitting in the theater room for now. Originally it was going where the photo was, but this way it sits where I sit the most (in the office) I Will be plumbing my RO/DI into a holding container, which will ATO my sump, not directly in, promise!!

Also, since you're a theater guy, I do enjoy the movies:

(excuse the crappy cellphone pic)

here is a build thread on AVS for the theater:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1296907&page=2

Old 05/04/2012, 07:32 AM   #15
bikeboss11
Registered Member

The tank looks sweet... What are you going with for circulation

bikeboss11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2012, 10:42 AM   #16
iced98lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboss11 View Post
The tank looks sweet... What are you going with for circulation
Not 100% yet still in the planning stages but there will be some powerheads/wavemakers and likely some decently high turnover. Plumbing diagrams and pumps are next on the list now that I have the sump.

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 05/08/2012, 03:26 PM   #17
iced98lx

In case you thought this thread was coming to a slow halt, NAY!

I cleaned up the 55 gallon sump I got from a local reefer and thought I noticed a small leak (after the ride it took in the jeep, I wouldn't have been surprised) so I scrubbed it down and filled it up to leak test:

Dry as a bone.

Old 05/12/2012, 01:47 PM   #18
iced98lx

Working on plans for a big ATS and how to support a mandarin without having to suppliment pods a ton... started a fish list, female wants a blue starfish at some point as well. Working on plumbing schematics currently.

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 05/13/2012, 09:48 PM   #19
nine8taco
Registered Member

Man this makes me sad I want my 48x48x24 build to kick off! I'll post a thread when I do. Great looking tank I'm subscribed looking forward to seeing the progress

nine8taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/14/2012, 09:06 AM   #20
iced98lx

More progress! Nothing to show

I've got my ATS design in mind, now to go check it with the ATS gurus and work out how it will work on a fresh-start-tank. Should be good during the various blooms. Bought a pump for the ATS, originally was going to feed it off the overflows but I think that's asking for trouble.

I've got a couple projects to finish in the theater (rear speakers into the ceiling, paint a few things) and in the near future the tank will get moved into place (without a hole in the wall) for storage. Once the theater is "done" we'll start building the final stand, and get to making some holes! I've been contemplating a custom sump, so I can get some more room in it.

Old 05/14/2012, 09:07 AM   #21
iced98lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine8taco View Post
Man this makes me sad I want my 48x48x24 build to kick off! I'll post a thread when I do. Great looking tank I'm subscribed looking forward to seeing the progress
That is an awesome size. Can't wait to follow along with that!

Old 06/27/2012, 02:02 PM   #22
iced98lx

So we went from this:

to this:

and now the tank is there:

Old 07/01/2012, 12:08 PM   #23
iced98lx

One step closer. I left room to the right for the BRS Dual DI upgrade once I exhaust those dinky canisters on top.

Old 08/02/2012, 12:14 PM   #24
iced98lx

I know things have ground to a halt here, but it's because we've been hard at work getting our 29g Bio Cube up and going. I've been laying a lot of groundwork for the big tank, just collecting and documenting and ideas.

So far, it looks like LED Multi-Chip pendants are the way I want to go for lighting. Probably do three 100w pendants to start with, and take a look at coverage and go from there.

Return Pump (W/Manifold): I'm looking at a Reeflo Snapper/Dart hybrid, in Snapper mode for now, might have to switch over to Dart mode when the manifold gets full of stuff.

Nutrient export: ATS. Probably no skimmer from the start, if we need to add one, we'll cross that bridge then.

Reactors: I'll be leaving room for carbon & GFO in the setup

Controller: Reef Angel Plus. Hopefully handle ATO/Lights/Flow/Water Change/All monitoring/Feeding with this

Heating: Two 300W Finnex Titaniums

Flow: Two MP40es'

Rock: http://www.liverockranch.com/catalog...52/7495242.htm (175 pounds of dry rock, seeded by what's in my biocube)

Sand: Undecided

The Fiance and I are excited about getting things going this fall and winter, and getting everything up and running. I'm working on a budget / sub-project sheet that breaks everything out equipment and build wise.

Old 02/13/2013, 02:44 PM   #25
iced98lx

Time for an update!

Controller: Building my own - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2250389

Lights: Building Multi-Chip Pendants - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2250389

Heating: two 300W Finnex titanium tubes, controlled by controller

Nutrient Export: Skimmer (SRO 2000) and Turf Scrubber

Reactors: Calcium and GFO

Return pump: Velocity T4

The tank is getting re-build a bit. Tearing out the dual corner over flows. using the holes in the bottom as returns (will go up above the water line to avoid siphon issues) this way there is no plumbing on the back of the tank.

Overflow is a weir style across one end, with a beananimal return to a 150 gallon rubbermaid trough as the sump.

Just ordered all the bulkheads today, so they should be here soon so we can get the tank re-drilled and the stand finished up.