Reef Central Online Community
The Filter Guys

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/09/2017, 11:22 AM   #1001
iced98lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe1055 View Post
that crazy with the bad batch calcium

Yea it's very unlike my other experience with 30+ boxes of Fritz so I'm going to assume it's a just a batch that slipped through. That said I'll be testing mixed up salt water for Calcium and Alk prior to turning back on AWC for the week.

I've had AWC off since Friday and the tank has drifted down to 516ppm calcium with 8.4dkh alk, so I'm pretty happy with where it is settling in. Once it drifts to about 480 or so I'll turn AWC back on and see if I can use this batch of high calc salt to effectively dose calc to keep it around 480. I can easily adjust number of gallons per day changed to hit that target (assuming it's not more than 5 or 6 gallons/day).

Growing GHA right now like it's my DT's job wth no AWCs going on. Since I don't run GFO etc the ATS + water changes were doing the majority of the nutrient export battle against GHA. The ATS is growing in better now, so hopefully it'll start working to combat it.

Coral are looking great though, growing well and coloration continues to improve so that is of course the goal. I glued down some coral into their final homes, so I'll document a few of those next week hopefully.

This is the 1000th reply to this thread. I'll be honest and say I was hoping by now this tank would be filled with beautiful SPS colonies and I'd be contemplating an upgrade but that was not to be. I've learned a ton so far on this build and feel like I'm really on the right path, so I hope the tank continues to get better. Thank you to the folks who answered questions and made great suggestions along the way. This has gone from a use case to build a controller to a great piece of my home office.

180 Gallon In Wall

Last edited by iced98lx; 11/09/2017 at 11:56 AM.
iced98lx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 03:48 PM   #1002
iced98lx

Pulled my skimmer out and it's in a nice vinegar soak. Long over due cleaning. Also pulled GHA out of the DT and am catching up on ALK dosing after being gone for a long weekend. I am going to really enjoy either a doser or a calcium reactor one of these days.

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 11/17/2017, 04:28 PM   #1003
iced98lx

Arrrghhh

My female clown must be sick, or possibly not eating the flake i've been feeding. I found her attached to the side of one of my MP40's. She's been with me since the start. I put her in an acclimation box to see if she can catch her wind and fed some of her favorite pellets, but she did not bother to eat. I fear she will not make it. Her and the male came up to eat when I put flakes in and of course for frozen but she seems very weak.

Finding a dead fish (or not finding a fish) is a terrible feeling but having a sick fish with no ability to fix it is much worse for me. Hopefully the acclimation box will let her rest and regain some strength.

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 11/21/2017, 09:14 PM   #1004
jmsilhy
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that, how is she?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmsilhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2017, 09:56 AM   #1005
iced98lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsilhy View Post
Sorry to hear that, how is she?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lost over night last night sadly. Cause is unkown, no exterior spots. Stopped eating.

Depressing.

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 11/22/2017, 10:07 AM   #1006
jmsilhy
Registered Member

Oh man, I feel you. Very sorry for your loss, but keep up the amazing work and your other babies so happy.

Happy Thanksgiving!

jmsilhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2017, 04:18 PM   #1007
iced98lx

Some photos

IMG_5847 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5850 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5852 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5865 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5862 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5866 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5864 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5839 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5836 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5841 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 11/22/2017, 04:19 PM   #1008
iced98lx

IMG_5830 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5828 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5819 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5814 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5813 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5810 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5808 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5800 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

IMG_5796 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 11/24/2017, 12:06 PM   #1009
iced98lx

Couple shots I took trying some new techniques today, these are under T5 only:

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 11/26/2017, 09:00 PM   #1010
iced98lx

Some level checking tonight, Calcium has drifted down to 450 and I've got ALK holding steady at 8. My NSW in the bin is at 7.4 ALK and 515 Ca since there was still 50 gallons of 560ppm Ca water in there before I added from the new box. I'll keep changing water and dosing ALK until I mix water that is lower in Ca then I'll probably start dosing Ca until I get a suitable CaRX setup. Ordered BRS's 2 part dosing kit with pumps over black friday, should help hold me over.

Tank wise, I moved the Torch to the far right of the tank and pulled some more GHA. That and feedings were it over the long weekend. I have noticed with winter here and the furnace running my pH has been holding lower than previous. Not worried about it but noting it anyway.

Cleaned the ATS and the growth was good, much better than before, no yellow slime and solid attachment. Hoping that continues and starts to battle the GHA in the tank.

Replaced the two CoralPlus T5 bulbs. Can't believe the T5's have been up 8 months already! Was shooting for every 6 months, woops!

AWC is on, 5 days a week.

180 Gallon In Wall

Last edited by iced98lx; 11/26/2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11/26/2017, 10:02 PM   #1011
N8C
Registered Member

Hey Chris,

I don't post often. I just spent the majority of the day (in between water changes and acclimating fish and zoas, and doing chores) reading this thread from start up to now.

Thank you. For your time. For your story.

I very much appreciate your contribution to the forum. Good on ya.

N8

N8C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2017, 11:20 AM   #1012
iced98lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8C View Post
Hey Chris,

I don't post often. I just spent the majority of the day (in between water changes and acclimating fish and zoas, and doing chores) reading this thread from start up to now.

Thank you. For your time. For your story.

I very much appreciate your contribution to the forum. Good on ya.

N8

Thanks N8, much appreciated. The time has flown and I realized today that it's nearly 3 years of having saltwater in this tank. Crazy how fast it can go. I have many of those "page turner" threads bookmarked that have taken several hours of my life, it gives me a big smile to know that this thread was one for you.

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 11/30/2017, 09:28 PM   #1013
iced98lx

Been a boring few days. I ran out of ALK solution mixed up in my temporary container, then waited to make more until my BRS kit arrived so ALK dove a bit. I mixed as described so I have a gallon of "standard" BRS alk and a doser ready to go once I get it brought up to the level I want it at (8.5->9). Now I need to mix my calcium jug up and check that. The pH has been low, while I'm not concerned by that it makes me feel better that I'm using soda ash.

I don't have good mag kit, I might just lean on my LFS to check mag once a month and add as needed since I have the stuff to bolster it now.

Pulling lots of GHA from the DT still but coral are showing good color and great growth so while I'm complaining in my head I'm not saying anything out loud.

I want to add fish in the worst way right now but I'm going to wait it out and see if the female clown was something in the tank, no sense adding fish to have the die.

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 12/04/2017, 05:35 PM   #1014
iced98lx

Got my 2 part dosers set up and running. Will continue to check ALK daily until it's stable. Won't be dosing Ca until I finish this batch of salt as the daily water changes are keeping it high since the incoming water is at 500+.

Getting close to breaking point on the GHA, I don't want to put GFO back online as the coral color suffered but will if the elevated ALK and ATS can't knock it down before Christmas.

Livestock update: everyone is eating and doing well after the female clown perished. I am feeding a little more aggressively so I'm sure that's not helping the GHA. Coral are looking good. Ever so slight fading on my JF Sour Twist but I'm watching it closely. The newest additions appear to be doing well. The Torch seems to be OK with it's new home but only time will tell I guess.

Clam still growing so that is probably the biggest win for me.

the Purple cap has decided to absolutely explode with growth, 1/2 inch growth ring all the way around right now. Will lead to another round of pruning I suspect.

I'll try to get photos of coral tomorrow despite the GHA.

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 12/04/2017, 05:54 PM   #1015
iced98lx

Potato FTS:

1204171747 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

Purple Growth:
1204171748 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 12/04/2017, 05:57 PM   #1016
iced98lx

1204171755b by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

1204171755 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

1204171754a by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

1204171755c by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 12/08/2017, 03:08 PM   #1017
iced98lx

Spent some serious time pulling GHA today. Sadly it doesn't appear the Skimmer + ATS is sized properly to deal with my tank load or whatever might be leaching from the rocks. I put some GFO online to see if I can slowly start winning the battle. I absolutely hate to make this change as everything otherwise is looking good and growing fast and I have strong disdain for GFO and carbon reactors due to their upkeep.

Been dosing ALK so checking daily and adjusting my dose as needed. started low and have been slowly adding to the dose until I see a bit of a flatline then I will bump the ALK to where I want it and have the doser maintain. So far so good.

I switched my light timers to WiFi controlled smart outlets. I wouldn't typically trust those for any equipment but in this case for lights I'm almost always in the room when they turn on and off so it's easy to spot some sort of failure. So far they've been spot on. That freed up an electronic outlet timer for the dosing pump.

I'll try to get the big camera out and snag some photos once everything clears from the GHA pullfest.

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 12/11/2017, 10:06 AM   #1018
iced98lx

Well what a depressing Monday.

Was sitting here working away and looked over to see the remains of my orchid dotteyback floating across the tank, being eaten by the Yellow wrasse.

Yesterday it was eating, swimming and acting totally normal.

Bleah, really puts a damper on my mood regarding the tank.

What is left of the fish list:
  • Yellow Wrasse
  • 3x Lyretail Anthias
  • Bangaii Cardinal
  • Scopas Tang
  • B&W Clown
  • Midas Blenny
  • Yellow Watchman Goby

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 12/11/2017, 02:01 PM   #1019
Turtles
Registered Member

Looks like bryopsis to me from the closeups, not GHA. Take a look at flucanozole. I had a huge algae problem in my 90g. Dosed Flucanozole and it killed every bit in about 2-3 weeks. Didnt effect any fish, coral, inverts, clams or anything else. Great stuff.

Turtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2017, 05:49 PM   #1020
iced98lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtles View Post
Looks like bryopsis to me from the closeups, not GHA. Take a look at flucanozole. I had a huge algae problem in my 90g. Dosed Flucanozole and it killed every bit in about 2-3 weeks. Didnt effect any fish, coral, inverts, clams or anything else. Great stuff.
Thanks for the input but upon close inspection it's definitely not bryopsis

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 12/13/2017, 09:46 AM   #1021
iced98lx

Finally getting ALK where I want it and stable.

Going to change GFO today as I'm sure it's exhausted by now. I keep pulling GHA and hope the GFO starts to help soon but I don't want to strip the water and cause coral issues.

Got out the Hanna ULR Phosphorus meter yesterday, it read 0 of course.

Coral all looking good and growing still so the march continues.

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 12/17/2017, 10:57 AM   #1022
iced98lx

I curse the day I decided to use any salt that had organics in it. After several hours of trying to clean out my 110 gallon vertical tank I think I have it 80% better than it was. It'll have to suffice.

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 12/17/2017, 03:34 PM   #1023
iced98lx

in progress shot, mostly as clean as it will get:

2017-12-15 15.51.53 by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

180 Gallon In Wall
Old 01/05/2018, 10:47 AM   #1024
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Hey Chris, sorry to hear of your orchid dottyback, sucks losing a fish to unknown causes.

How’s your GHA battle going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2018, 11:29 AM   #1025
iced98lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
Hey Chris, sorry to hear of your orchid dottyback, sucks losing a fish to unknown causes.

How’s your GHA battle going?
Thanks. The fish loss hit me hard, especially the female clown. They had been laying eggs with regularity for a year plus already. The GHA battle rages on. I've been running GFO and very carefully watching my feedings. Seems the GHA has taken a liking to my sand as well, so I suspect it's just nutrient build up. Just changing GFO, cleaning the ATS (which is really growing strong) and watching the coral grow. I may have just broken the system down and replaced the rock by now except the coral continues to have good color and grow quickly so I'm just sort of holding on hoping the GFO eventually catches up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvez View Post
una pena lo del pez
~~ "a shame about the fish" Thank you.

January 2018 update
No more fish loss, no coral loss. Clam is growing, will have to do some before/after shots. Need to document coral growth but it's tough to want to take photos with all this GHA in the way.

180 Gallon In Wall