Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/07/2012, 10:48 AM   #1
reefbud
Registered Member

Automatic Feeders

Do they really work? I would really like to rely on one rather than train someone every time we leave town. What model and type of food have worked best for automating this task?

I would likely use it somewhat routinely to ensure it really is working so that when I need it, I will already have plenty confidence in it.

reefbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2012, 11:17 AM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

I've used an Eheim autofeeder several times over the years and they work great. I did build an acrylic holder that has a tube that extends down below the waterline so the food sits in the tube until saturated and then sinks. This prevents food from being sucked into the overflow before it can be eaten by the fish.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Donkeykong
Registered Member

Yes many people do use them for when they are gone or to suppliment feed for pickier fish that benefit from multiple small meals a day. Ehiem has a good one. But it should not be your primary form of feeding, I know you said just for when your out of town but I feel I have to mention this incase others read it. It is not a good idea to use a auto feeder as your primary feeding tool, it is important to feed your fish manually, this will give you an opportunity to observe your fish. It gives you a chance to make sure all are eating and see if anybody is getting bullied, this will also give you a chance to see if more or less food is needed. Also back to the actual feeders, one thing that alot do is create some sort of stand that has a tube that goes below the surface of the water, or else the food just hits the surface and floats around ending up just getting sucked into the overflow.

Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2012, 11:42 AM   #4
aleonn
Registered Member

The Eheim autofeeder is the most popular choice on RC, and is considered to be reliable and a reputable company.

I use the Aquarium Super Feeder (ASF-1) from super-feeder.com, which plugs into my controller outlet. That way, I have more control over feedings. I auto-feed small portions 3 times a day to spread out feedings. The unit also comes with a feeding funnel so that the food doesn't go directly into the overflow.

The best foods for an autofeeder are dry flakes and pellets. Except for the feeding for the middle of the day, I try to observe the fish when they eat. For the evening feeding, I either add Nori seaweed or a few cubes of mysis to add variety.

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2012, 05:43 PM   #5
reefbud
Registered Member

Great feedback...many thanks. I'll go with Eheim $30 now...but since I have a controller I'll prolly regret it later and try the Super Feeder

Old 06/09/2012, 11:53 AM   #6
aleonn
Registered Member

With an Eheim, at least you save an outlet for the controller

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Butchhe
Registered Member

You can also get the Eheim feeders for turtles. I have 1 fish model and 2 turtle models and they are the same. The turtle ones are cheaper too.

Old 06/10/2012, 03:43 PM   #8
reefbud
Registered Member

Thegrun, I like your feeder add-on. I was curious to an approach where the feeder deposits to Return stage of sump (fine flakes). Hence, food is pumped into DT underwater. I'll post a new thread to see if others have used this approach.