Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2012, 03:28 PM   #1
TonyGolato
Registered Member

TMC LED Lighting

I searched but could not locate a recent answer on the subject so I'll try here. If I missed it please advise.

I am looking into upgrading my reef lighting and LED's appear to be an interesting option. The TMC brand (Aquabeam 1000) is pushing improved performance as a result of using patented technology. TMC claims that "EcoTech uses older generation emitters since they do NOT have patent rights. As well most EcoTech Radions use a cool white emitter, which is a poor PUR choice for marine aquariums".
The cost for the TMC LED's seems to be more reasonable than the EcoTech Radions but is the "real" performance?

Would anyone be willing to please share their thoughs or experience?
many thanks,
Tony

Last edited by TonyGolato; 06/14/2012 at 03:39 PM.
TonyGolato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2012, 08:19 AM   #2
TonyGolato
Registered Member

Red face TMC LED Lighting

any info?

Unread 06/18/2012, 12:03 PM   #3
TonyGolato
Registered Member

TMC LED Lighting Qustion

Is TMC an obscure brand and not many know about the product?

Unread 06/18/2012, 12:52 PM   #4
sfbayview
Registered Member

http://aquariumdigest.wordpress.com/...t-more/#others

Seems to be similar to the rest just uses 9k white cree's

Seem overpriced because of the patent; similarly to the radians (looks like 900 for 120 watts)

I agree that leds do change spectrum depending on if they are dimmed or not etc but the amount is not going to kill our coral per say; Look at all the t5 fixtures heavy in blue; thats seems to be the most important for healthy coral ... all other bs is just nick picking efficiency and color preference.

If you want the best get a book on led's; and DIY.

sfbayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2012, 02:04 PM   #5
iereefer
Registered Member

TMC Aquaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGolato View Post
I searched but could not locate a recent answer on the subject so I'll try here. If I missed it please advise.

I am looking into upgrading my reef lighting and LED's appear to be an interesting option. The TMC brand (Aquabeam 1000) is pushing improved performance as a result of using patented technology. TMC claims that "EcoTech uses older generation emitters since they do NOT have patent rights. As well most EcoTech Radions use a cool white emitter, which is a poor PUR choice for marine aquariums".
The cost for the TMC LED's seems to be more reasonable than the EcoTech Radions but is the "real" performance?

Would anyone be willing to please share their thoughs or experience?
many thanks,
Tony
I have used these. I would continue to buy thm if not for the cost. What i have is a HD1000 tile. The emitter used where patented and developed by cree specificly for TMC. Thats why it cost so much. Its an excellent beautiful bright fixture. HD1000 are made for deep tanks 24" or more or you would have to mount/hang them at 8-12". For the price a controller would be nice. Im currently using it for my fug. If i can afford it i would more with a controller. Hope this helps

iereefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2012, 10:03 AM   #6
TonyGolato
Registered Member

TMC Aquabeam 1000

Many thanks for your responses! Agreed that LED's are costly but what drew me to the TMC's were the lower price. The TMC Aquabeam 1000 is $290 as opposed to the EcoTech Radion, which are $750. TMC's appear to be less than half the price.
I gotta be missing somethin' Please clarify....

Unread 06/19/2012, 10:23 AM   #7
sfbayview
Registered Member

The TMC has 10 3 watt crees the radion has 34; thus 3 times the cost; you also have to factor in the tmc does not have a controller.

The tmc uses 2 leds to get the correct spectrum the radion uses 5; but in the end they will both grow coral and have the correct spectrum ... just the radion will the same brightness as the 3 tmc; but not necessarily the same coverage.

If cost is an issue look in the Chinese 4g lights with controllers if you don;t want to diy

Last edited by sfbayview; 06/19/2012 at 11:22 AM.
Unread 06/19/2012, 10:31 AM   #8
seti2020
Registered Member

I have LED's made by Epistar. They have 55 3-watt led. They are set to 2-watts, so they dont overheat the LED's. They are 1/2 white LED, 1/4 Blue, 1/4 royal blue. They work great, nice coloration out of corals. I have SPS growth with these units. Only cost $160. Plus low heat output.

Hope this helps.

seti2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2012, 11:07 AM   #9
TonyGolato
Registered Member

sfbayiew-many thanks for the clarification regarding the cost difference, it makes more sense now. Having said that, if the end result is the same why pay and extra $450 for the Radions? UNLESS the controller accounts for the balance.
seti2020-was your EPISTAR LED unit a DYI or do they offer a specific model? If so please provide the model#.

Unread 06/19/2012, 11:34 AM   #10
seti2020
Registered Member

They are a complete unit ready to go. Not a DIY. I bought mine from ebay. Name of the store is "peaktop outdoor". They are now $176.89, but that also include free shipping. One thing to note, you can not adjust intensity, they are either on or off. For me this has not been a problem, but just wanted to let you know. I have mine mounted about 8" above tank.

"Epistar New 120 Watt Led Aquarium Grow Light Blue White Coral Reef Tank Black"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epistar-New-...item256ca62201
This is the one I bought

Unread 06/19/2012, 11:41 AM   #11
seti2020
Registered Member

I have two of these Epistar units mounted over a 210 mixed reef that is 6 feet long by 2 feet wide and 29 inches tall. Started the tank around the beginning of March. Not all corals added at the same time. They produce alot of light to cover the tank with light very well. I have monitporas and birdsnest at the top of my tank which have doubled in size. LPS are in the middle of tank and they have split a few times. Zoos are at the bottom of tank and thriving and growing.

Unread 06/19/2012, 11:43 AM   #12
TonyGolato
Registered Member

Thanks seti-appreciate the info. Adding the set to my list.

Unread 06/19/2012, 11:48 AM   #13
seti2020
Registered Member

Here is a picture of mine hanging over my tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120614_125117.jpg (87.0 KB, 125 views)
Unread 06/19/2012, 12:27 PM   #14
TonyGolato
Registered Member

Looks great- a lot of progress in just 3 months!

Unread 06/19/2012, 02:02 PM   #15
pwreef
Registered Member

So where's the patent number? What about Cree press release? Or are these some super secret LEDs that are only produced for this TMC?
Personally I see a lot of marketing BS on that website. :-)
BTW you should be aware that a company called Orbitec holds the patent for ALL LED aquarium lighting and any manufacturer selling in US where the patent is enforced pays royalties. Search. It was discussed here many times.

Unread 06/19/2012, 03:39 PM   #16
TonyGolato
Registered Member

pwreef- Are you saying that the TMC claims are bogus? In other words, not worth pursuing?

Unread 06/19/2012, 04:47 PM   #17
pwreef
Registered Member

If there is not a Cree data sheet that shows these magic emitters nor a publicly available patent then these claims are not true. 10 LED fixture with no controls for $290? No thanks.

Unread 06/19/2012, 06:22 PM   #18
sfbayview
Registered Member

http://aquarayusa.com/led-spectra-aquabeam.pdf

That is the image they claim; even if is is true it just looks like a white diode shifted more towards the lower 400nm spectrum; Not all that special ...

Unread 06/20/2012, 01:13 AM   #19
mr_bigl
Registered Member

What size is your tank. I have a 48" with 3 1000HD tiles and 4 beams. Gets kinda pricey if you want great coverage. I have sps from the top to the bottom of my tank. Everything is growing nicely . It been about two months but I'm happy. I read about par and pur. Aquaray says they have great pur. I haven't measured it with any type of equipment but if coral growth is an indication then I'd say its true. I am not knocking AI or the Radions . But my decision was made when I compared what the lfs tanks looked like with the other two. And living in so cali there's are lots of them. Just my 2 cents .

mr_bigl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2012, 11:23 AM   #20
TonyGolato
Registered Member

Very interesting......I requested a data sheet and patent# for the Cree emitters from TMC. This is what I received (see attached link) ....not sure if any of the licensing actually addresses TMC and/or emitters. http://www.cree.com/about-cree/licen...nsing-programs.
This statement was also included in the e-mail I received from TMC. Otherwise most of this information is not open to the general public..

In any case I have a 55 gallon (23" deep) Hexagon reef/fish tank and am considering the switchover from 175 watt M/H to LED. Would like the ability to add SPS'. Been running the tank for ~14 years. Just looking of an adequate and cost effective solution.
Your feedback is truely appreciated!!!
Kindest regards,
Tony

Unread 06/20/2012, 12:09 PM   #21
RAY in PA.
Registered Member

LEDs

I'm in my third week of running an Led system (replacing a fixture with three 175 watt MH and two 40 watt actinics). I purchased a diy kit from reefledlights.com and I saved a few bucks. I'm acclimating my corals 5% increase per week and my tanks looks great. I'm using three phoenix 45 kits over a 180 gal 6'x2'x2' tank. There's a lot of information on the website and I assembled the kits easily (it is time comsuming). So far so good with my corals and I intend to add more leds as my corals acclimate. Maybe moonlight too. I'm using an apex for sunrise/sunset dimming.

RAY in PA. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2012, 01:34 PM   #22
TonyGolato
Registered Member

Thanks Ray- I prefer to buy a complete system as opposed to a DIY as for some reason, in the end the DIY seems to cost more....at least for me. But if I cannot find what I need I will take the DYI route. I am currently in discussion with the folks from reefledlights.com.

Unread 06/23/2012, 08:31 AM   #23
mr_bigl
Registered Member

Tony
IMO you could use 2 tiles and a controller for your tank and grow anything you want. The controller is pricey but you'll have extra ports if you decide to go larger. Plus the rails that are made for aquaray are sweet. And easy to move tiles or beams to the right spot. Hope that helps.

mr_bigl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2012, 11:35 AM   #24
Smiless
Registered Member

TMC are the No1 wholesale livestock vendor in the UK, comparable to Quality Marine in the US. They moved into equipment around 6-7 years ago, first with budget skimmers and then calcium reactors, ph monitors and so on.
They got on the LED bandwagon pretty early, although their first LED strips (aquabeams) were expensive, underpowered and unreliable. I had them on my reef tank in the UK. They've since upped their game, and as it happens my LFS in socal has the tiles over their show tank. They are powerful, and with the controller do lightning storms etc, but he uses them just for the whites and has other led strips for the blues. They're a decent option I'd say but not the best or the cheapest out there IMO.

Smiless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2012, 04:49 PM   #25
TonyGolato
Registered Member

I am seriously considering the Phoenix DIY unit from reefledlights as mentioned by Ray in PA. It sounds like a pretty nice setup and is upgradable.

I am still perplexed at the cost of >$500.00 and I must assemble it myself and it does not include a controller. I am letting the thought settle for a while.