Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/19/2017, 11:06 PM   #2126
Punchanello
Registered Member

Great thread!

I've read through a lot of it and am confident about setting my quarantine system up. My only question is about biological filtration.

I'm using a HOB filter with ceramic rings and some floss. It will be a permanent QT. I expect there will be a steady stream of fish going through quarantine for a period of time but there will also be periods without fish so no waste to feed the denitrifying bacteria. Is this an issue? Should I dump a prawn in there every week it runs fallow?

My tank build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2647315
Punchanello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2017, 09:28 AM   #2127
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchanello View Post
Great thread!

I've read through a lot of it and am confident about setting my quarantine system up. My only question is about biological filtration.

I'm using a HOB filter with ceramic rings and some floss. It will be a permanent QT. I expect there will be a steady stream of fish going through quarantine for a period of time but there will also be periods without fish so no waste to feed the denitrifying bacteria. Is this an issue? Should I dump a prawn in there every week it runs fallow?
You should break down the tank and clean everything thoroughly between tank inhabitants. As far as setting the tank back up for new arrivals and having enough biological filtration I use this product religiously and have never had a issue.https://www.tlc-products.com/startsm...w-tank-set-up/
Use frag20 for 20% off

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s
Dmorty217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2017, 06:54 PM   #2128
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia12 View Post
Thanks for some really amazing suggestions here. Jbtw I'd also like to add mine suggestions here. I think you guys should go for it and get some really amazing filters and other aquariam stuff over there. https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/...ic.php?t=41771
I referenced a saltwater product that actually works, you are pushing a freshwater forum or something similar on a saltwater forum...

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 200g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 2 MP60s

Last edited by Dmorty217; 10/20/2017 at 07:12 PM.
Dmorty217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2017, 01:18 PM   #2129
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Is there any difference, pro/con, in using a powerhead vs an air stone (I'm assuming one needs a pump for the air stone too)?

I picked up a 20 gallon tank and a HOB filter for QT down the road.

Is a 50 Watt heater enough for QT, or better to just get a 100-150 Watt heater and have an extra for back up on main DT?
(Main DT is 150 gal)

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2017, 01:37 PM   #2130
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
Is there any difference, pro/con, in using a powerhead vs an air stone (I'm assuming one needs a pump for the air stone too)?

I picked up a 20 gallon tank and a HOB filter for QT down the road.

Is a 50 Watt heater enough for QT, or better to just get a 100-150 Watt heater and have an extra for back up on main DT?
(Main DT is 150 gal)

50watts not enough to heat a 20 gallon. If you put a larger heater it will heat up the tank faster and shut off earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2017, 02:39 AM   #2131
Tastee
Registered Member

Hi, I am a long time freshwater aquarist but new to the saltwater hobby. I’ve been going through this thread which has absolutely fantastic information about QTs. I have a question about a choice of tank for the QT I would love some feedback on.

My DT is 40 gal (200L) with a 10g sump (40L) - Red Sea Reefer 250. Currently stocked with 2 clownfish, one anemone (not yet adopted), 6 corals and 2 hermit crabs. All healthy with no sign of parasites or disease. It has been running for a little under 3 months and I am planning for the next phase in stocking. Filtration is ~60 lb live rock in the DT, the standard Red Sea sponge, Marine Pure, Polyfilter and Torque skimmer in the sump.

I want to setup a QT for the upcoming livestock and also for use as a HT if and as needed. Due mostly to space limitations in our house I plan to keep to a single tank, and not having it running permanently - run initially whilst stocking, convert to HT if needed and then take it down, clean and rebirth as HT or QT as needed in future. I plan to keep ceramic and other media in the sump seeded and ready to go to reduce cycling in the QT/HT.

I am considering two tanks for QT/HT and would like opinions as to which you would recommend. Both are easy to source in my region (Sydney Australia).

1. Aqua One 320T 36L (9 gal)
2. Aqua One Reflex 35 35L (8 gal)

The former has a hood which appeals to me to reduce evaporation, the latter is open top, making an auto top up more important. Different filtration setups also.

I currently have an older version of the Aqua One 380 which is a similar design to the 320T as my freshwater tank and it is a very robust and reliable tank with good simple and effective filtration, which also leans me towards to the 320T.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Brad.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2017, 02:59 AM   #2132
Tastee
Registered Member

QT question tank links

Here are links to the tanks.

320: http://www.aquaone.com.au/product-ra.../2950-52090gwh

For some reason Aqua One donít have the 320T on their site - it is simply a taller version of the 320.

Reflex 35: http://www.aquaone.com.au/2015-04-16...s-aquarium-35l

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2017, 07:02 AM   #2133
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastee View Post
Hi, I am a long time freshwater aquarist but new to the saltwater hobby. Iíve been going through this thread which has absolutely fantastic information about QTs. I have a question about a choice of tank for the QT I would love some feedback on.

My DT is 40 gal (200L) with a 10g sump (40L) - Red Sea Reefer 250. Currently stocked with 2 clownfish, one anemone (not yet adopted), 6 corals and 2 hermit crabs. All healthy with no sign of parasites or disease. It has been running for a little under 3 months and I am planning for the next phase in stocking. Filtration is ~60 lb live rock in the DT, the standard Red Sea sponge, Marine Pure, Polyfilter and Torque skimmer in the sump.

I want to setup a QT for the upcoming livestock and also for use as a HT if and as needed. Due mostly to space limitations in our house I plan to keep to a single tank, and not having it running permanently - run initially whilst stocking, convert to HT if needed and then take it down, clean and rebirth as HT or QT as needed in future. I plan to keep ceramic and other media in the sump seeded and ready to go to reduce cycling in the QT/HT.

I am considering two tanks for QT/HT and would like opinions as to which you would recommend. Both are easy to source in my region (Sydney Australia).

1. Aqua One 320T 36L (9 gal)
2. Aqua One Reflex 35 35L (8 gal)

The former has a hood which appeals to me to reduce evaporation, the latter is open top, making an auto top up more important. Different filtration setups also.

I currently have an older version of the Aqua One 380 which is a similar design to the 320T as my freshwater tank and it is a very robust and reliable tank with good simple and effective filtration, which also leans me towards to the 320T.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Brad.
bigger the better, having a hood over the tank will increase heat inside the tank and water and also reduce air exchange which could lead to low oxygen and low pH.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2017, 08:28 AM   #2134
Jeramirez85
Registered Member

Gmtagging along as I will be setting up a quarantine as well. Good post

Jeramirez85 is offline   Reply With Quote