Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2012, 11:50 PM   #1
icex2010
Registered Member

250w Metal halide?

http://www.amazon.com/4x24w-Aquarium...lide+reef+tank

Anyone ever used these? I'm wanting to use two on a 75 gallon tank. I am going to be getting a bubbletip anenome soon and some corals later on. If these won't work, does anyone have suggestions for lighting? Thanks

icex2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2012, 08:45 AM   #2
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

It looks like an Odyssea brand, the cheapest, crappiest fixture you can buy, it is a Chinese import. There is no warranty listed because there is no real warranty. If the light dies in a month you get to buy it all over again. The bulbs in it are not very good, the reflectors in it are not very good and the ballast that powers everything is not very good and the wiring inside is not up to standards. It will work, right up to the moment it doesn't, the problem is you never know how long that will be, could be a few years, could be a few weeks.

A well built and safe fixture does not cost 145 bucks and those cheap ones are always a gamble. Look for a Geismann, AquaMedic or Hamilton brand fixture.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2012, 09:21 AM   #3
icex2010
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
It looks like an Odyssea brand, the cheapest, crappiest fixture you can buy, it is a Chinese import. There is no warranty listed because there is no real warranty. If the light dies in a month you get to buy it all over again. The bulbs in it are not very good, the reflectors in it are not very good and the ballast that powers everything is not very good and the wiring inside is not up to standards. It will work, right up to the moment it doesn't, the problem is you never know how long that will be, could be a few years, could be a few weeks.

A well built and safe fixture does not cost 145 bucks and those cheap ones are always a gamble. Look for a Geismann, AquaMedic or Hamilton brand fixture.

How about a coralife? I've used them before and liked them. Is 3.5 Watts per gallon good enough, or do I need 5-6 wpg?

Unread 09/01/2012, 09:28 AM   #4
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Coralife is a little better, forget wpg, it doesn't apply. It is ok to buy used if the fixture is a quality one, it will serve you well. The three brands I listed have been the most durable and safe over the years, and they have an actual warranty should something happen. The good news is with all of the people going to LED you can pick up a quality fixture for cheap these days. There is no reason to buy a cheaply made fixture. Don't skimp on lighting, it is one of the main parts of a successful reef. You need a total of 50 meaningful posts to see the for sale section, so you are halfway there. :-)

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2012, 09:30 AM   #5
downbeach
Registered Member

I think you'd be better off going with a couple of those 120W Chinese LED's.

downbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2012, 10:50 AM   #6
JAustin
Acropora Nut

Go to the for sal forums. Lots of great deals on metal halide stuff.

Unread 09/01/2012, 02:15 PM   #7
icex2010
Registered Member

I'm trying to buy it from amazon since I have a credit card with them. Lighting is confusing thats for sure!

Unread 09/01/2012, 03:36 PM   #8
grigsy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
it looks like an odyssea brand, the cheapest, crappiest fixture you can buy, it is a chinese import. There is no warranty listed because there is no real warranty. If the light dies in a month you get to buy it all over again. The bulbs in it are not very good, the reflectors in it are not very good and the ballast that powers everything is not very good and the wiring inside is not up to standards. It will work, right up to the moment it doesn't, the problem is you never know how long that will be, could be a few years, could be a few weeks.

A well built and safe fixture does not cost 145 bucks and those cheap ones are always a gamble. Look for a geismann, aquamedic or hamilton brand fixture.
+1

grigsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Truck54
Moved On

Metal halide

I have used them, they worked but got really hot! I would just spend more and get better quality.

Truck54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2012, 05:05 PM   #10
downbeach
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex2010 View Post
I'm trying to buy it from amazon since I have a credit card with them. Lighting is confusing thats for sure!
If you have to stay with Amazon, here's a possibility:

http://www.amazon.com/Watt-Aquarium-..._sim_sbs_lg_14

If you have a 4ft tank I'd go with two units, and dim them to your needs.

Unread 09/01/2012, 05:39 PM   #11
icex2010
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downbeach View Post
If you have to stay with Amazon, here's a possibility:

http://www.amazon.com/Watt-Aquarium-..._sim_sbs_lg_14

If you have a 4ft tank I'd go with two units, and dim them to your needs.

Ok, those look good, it is a 4ft tank. However, is there anyway to sit them on the tank instead of hanging them? I don't have anyway to hang them above the tank

Unread 09/01/2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Mouse
UnRegistered Member

Check the for sale section here, or Craigslist. I just picked up a 2X250 PFO complete with bulbs for $120. Be paitent and keep your eyes and your mind open, this hobby isnt cheep but that doesnt mean it has to be that darn expensive.

Current Tank Info: 125g > < this close to being set up
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 06:26 AM   #13
downbeach
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex2010 View Post
Ok, those look good, it is a 4ft tank. However, is there anyway to sit them on the tank instead of hanging them? I don't have anyway to hang them above the tank
Here's a possibility:

http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Ha..._petsupplies_3

Or, you could just go to Lowes or HD and buy some 1/2" conduit, a few pipe straps and do a DIY.

Unread 09/02/2012, 10:12 AM   #14
wineman
Registered Member

Here is a good link to make your own light hanger

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/diy/index.php

As already stated...you should be able to find a used halide set up cheap...there are so many people changing to Led.....the used market is flooded.

Try your local reef club sales board.

wineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 05:58 PM   #15
SSprince
Registered Member

I've read mixed reviews on those lights

SSprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2012, 11:19 AM   #16
icex2010
Registered Member

I'm thinking about building a light hanger out of 1 inch pvc pipe. Good idea or no?