Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Terryz_
Registered Member

Severity of a sting from scorpionfish/waspfish

I am having a 3 Paracentropogon longispinis waspfish, and 1 Sebastapistes strongia scorpionfish.. I have been hesitanting to put my hands too deep into my tank.. The waspfish are fine as I can see them at the corner where they alway hang out.. It is the scorpionfish that I am worried about as it is always behind the rockworks and it is small so it is difficult to spot it before..

Is there any precautions that I can take, would letax gloves work?

And in a event I got stung, other than immersing my wound in hot water, what can I do before going to the hospital?

Terryz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2012, 09:32 PM   #2
FMarini
10 & Over Club

in general terms, getting stung hurts, alot.
Im not sure what to tell you except keep your eyes on the fish and make sure you dont get too close.
Should the worst case scenario happen, expect the S strongia to pack more punch, as it has shorter more rigid spines, and in the scoprionfish world, more venom delivery= more intensity.
However,there is no reason i can think of why you should be getting stung, unless your careless.
Lastly, as "what to do", first off- dont get stung.
second, yes immerse the site in hot non-scalding water for a minimum of 30 min, it will reduce the severity of the sting, but will only slightly reduce the intensity. AS for going to the hospital, thats up to you.
Lastly, no latex gloves wont help, there are needle proof gloves that surgeons wear when suturing under pools of blood, these might bring relief, but then again, no guarantees

Unread 09/04/2012, 06:20 AM   #3
nirvanaandtool
Registered Member

Can you have a friend be a spotter if you need to do serious work on the tank? Maybe have them watch the wasps and scorp for you as you are working. A second set of eyes can't hurt.

Current Tank Info: 90RR Wrasse FOWLR
nirvanaandtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2012, 08:31 AM   #4
likefish
Registered Member

While diving a year ago I kneeled on a scorpionfish. The intitial sting hurt but then the pain began!

He "stung" my under my kneecap. The injection site was sore but then i started to feel a cramp move up my leg and my hip began to hurt then REALLY began to hurt. At this poing fearing an allergic or anaphylactic reaction i went back to the boat.

The nest 30 minutes were the longest of my life. I vomited several times from the pain and could get no relief. The pain was again focused in my hip, deep in the joint. it slowly subsided and after about an hour i was able to functino normallya gain. The injection site became slightly swollen, sore and stiff. It ached for about 3 months.

These little critters are no joke! Just my 2cents. O-yea, a latex glove will offer no protetion.

likefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2012, 09:15 AM   #5
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

That's cool that you found a specimen of S. strongia...they don't show up often in the trade.

About the only thing you really need to worry about is putting your hand down on one of the fish, as IME with both species, they pretty much hunker down and stay put, even if you get close. Just take note of the fishes' locations when you start work.

FWIW, waspfish venom is actually more potent than scorp venom (drop for drop), but as Frank pointed out, the AMOUNT of venom delivered makes a big difference, as does the duration of exposure as well as where on your body you take the hit.

Don't worry...just be mindful and you'll be fine. Do your work in a non-threatening manner so the fish don't spook, and both you and the fish will get used to each other (one of our waspfish (a cockatoo) actually perches in my hand every so often if I let her do so).

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Terryz_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaandtool View Post
Can you have a friend be a spotter if you need to do serious work on the tank? Maybe have them watch the wasps and scorp for you as you are working. A second set of eyes can't hurt.
Hahaha, That is a good idea but not really practical... Haha...

Unread 09/04/2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Terryz_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by likefish View Post
While diving a year ago I kneeled on a scorpionfish. The intitial sting hurt but then the pain began!

He "stung" my under my kneecap. The injection site was sore but then i started to feel a cramp move up my leg and my hip began to hurt then REALLY began to hurt. At this poing fearing an allergic or anaphylactic reaction i went back to the boat.

The nest 30 minutes were the longest of my life. I vomited several times from the pain and could get no relief. The pain was again focused in my hip, deep in the joint. it slowly subsided and after about an hour i was able to functino normallya gain. The injection site became slightly swollen, sore and stiff. It ached for about 3 months.

These little critters are no joke! Just my 2cents. O-yea, a latex glove will offer no protetion.
OMG, it sounds so bad... I guess I will not really be applying pressure on the fish, I am just afraid that it will swim near to my hand and by accident got stung by it.. As the waspfish are very active during feeding and will swim up into the water column but for the scorpion it is always hiding and popped out for a brief period to feed and I dont see it again for the whole day until the next feeding..

Unread 09/04/2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Terryz_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by namxas View Post
That's cool that you found a specimen of S. strongia...they don't show up often in the trade.

About the only thing you really need to worry about is putting your hand down on one of the fish, as IME with both species, they pretty much hunker down and stay put, even if you get close. Just take note of the fishes' locations when you start work.

FWIW, waspfish venom is actually more potent than scorp venom (drop for drop), but as Frank pointed out, the AMOUNT of venom delivered makes a big difference, as does the duration of exposure as well as where on your body you take the hit.

Don't worry...just be mindful and you'll be fine. Do your work in a non-threatening manner so the fish don't spook, and both you and the fish will get used to each other (one of our waspfish (a cockatoo) actually perches in my hand every so often if I let her do so).
It looks like a Strongia from the ID photos as it was not listed in the pricelist, it was sold as assorted scorpionfish.. They are pretty small now... 2inch max? They are new to the tank as I was hesitant to put them in but one somehow escaped so I released all into the tank..

I guess I have to take note when I do anything..

YIKES, if my waspfish do that to me I will freak out.. LOL!!

Unread 09/04/2012, 02:16 PM   #9
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

I had to hold my hand out and beneath the fish as it began sinking out of the water column (waspfish don't have functional swim bladders), and let it land there. After doing that a couple of times, the wasp will now come over and chill in my hand if it feels like it.

Not something I recommend by any means, but I was curious to see just how tame this particular specimen was.

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
Unread 09/04/2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Nighthawk31
Registered Member

Quote:
I had to hold my hand out and beneath the fish as it began sinking out of the water column (waspfish don't have functional swim bladders), and let it land there. After doing that a couple of times, the wasp will now come over and chill in my hand if it feels like it.

Not something I recommend by any means, but I was curious to see just how tame this particular specimen was.
You have a waspfish eating out of your hand!? YOU ARE THE MAN!

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon fowlr & 75 gallon reef
Nighthawk31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2012, 06:24 AM   #11
nirvanaandtool
Registered Member

Greg is the Waspfish Whisperer

Unread 09/05/2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Terryz_
Registered Member

Quote:

That is very daring of you!! But it is amazing...

Unread 09/05/2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Terryz_
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaandtool View Post
Greg is the Waspfish Whisperer
Can get him to whisper to my waspfish.. LOL!!!

Unread 09/05/2012, 10:49 AM   #14
nirvanaandtool
Registered Member

I have a feeling most Waspfish would just be saying "More Food!"

Unread 09/05/2012, 11:29 AM   #15
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

It just SITS in my hand every so often...altho if eating from a "stealth stick" is eating from my hand, yes. ;-)

And Ralph is right...they're basically saying "FEED me, Seymore!"

Unread 09/05/2012, 10:45 PM   #16
Woogiekids
Registered Member

I pet my goblins.

Wait that didn't sound right...

Woogiekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2012, 12:06 AM   #17
Terryz_
Registered Member

Haha.. you seriously pet your goblin? Lol..

Unread 09/06/2012, 09:21 AM   #18
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogiekids View Post
I pet my goblins.

Wait that didn't sound right...
It's a good thing there's no "Let's have some fun" thread here...

Unread 09/06/2012, 09:26 AM   #19
Woogiekids
Registered Member

I really just do it freak my kids out. It's quite amusing.

"MOM! They're related to STONEFISH! You're gonna DIE!"

Unread 09/06/2012, 09:49 AM   #20
Terryz_
Registered Member

Quote:
I really just do it freak my kids out. It's quite amusing.

"MOM! They're related to STONEFISH! You're gonna DIE!"
It is very amusing!!! I would freak out too... LOL... Actually I freaked out when the worker at the shop put his hand into a tank full of longipinnis to take out the pipes for me to chose them... LOL..

Unread 09/06/2012, 09:56 AM   #21
Woogiekids
Registered Member

They're all been in my tank long enough that they're like puppies. I probably have a false sense of security, lol. I also have a pair of dwarf fuzzies that follow my hand around like dogs because they want food. Every once in awhile I feel their spines brush my hand, and I'm like "hmmmm..."

Unread 09/06/2012, 09:59 AM   #22
Terryz_
Registered Member

Quote:
They're all been in my tank long enough that they're like puppies. I probably have a false sense of security, lol. I also have a pair of dwarf fuzzies that follow my hand around like dogs because they want food. Every once in awhile I feel their spines brush my hand, and I'm like "hmmmm..."

Unread 09/06/2012, 10:29 AM   #23
nirvanaandtool
Registered Member

Petting goblins. You are crazy.

Unread 09/06/2012, 10:31 AM   #24
Woogiekids
Registered Member

Awwww come on Ralph. You knew this already... -

Unread 09/06/2012, 10:43 AM   #25
nirvanaandtool
Registered Member

Did I? Or did I forget it because its that insane.