Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2012, 06:45 PM   #1
LaOtIn
Registered Member

Can you go blind if you...

Read and research too long about LEDs?

I mean seriously, how many hours, days, etc have you lost trying to figure out which LEDs are best for your tank?

Do I go DIY?
if yes, what brand?
after brand, which colors?
after colors, building woes, troubleshooting, testing!!

Do I buy a fixture?
if yes, what brand?
etc, etc, on and on!

And you keep coming back to the most simple of questions!

"Am I going to harm my corals?"

which actually leads to other questions...

will my corals grow?
will they grow better?
will they stop growing?
will I bleach them out?
will I burn them with too much LED light?
how far above my tank do I put the LEDs?
how many fans?
which types of fans?
whats the best ratio?
whats the best wattage?
will I even like them?
is the eye king, or is the coral growing enough?
how much will this cost me?
how can I sell it to my wife?
do I really need to upgrade?
will I have buyers remorse in a month? 2 months? 6 months?
will I have to move my corals down away from the light?
how do I acclimate the coral to the new lights?
will I start an algae farm in my tank?
pre-made bulbs, fixtures, DIY boards?

and the very important question...

Why is everybody right? Why does every LED maker have the BEST product!!

So, anyone else out there going crazy like me over these questions? Anyone else experiencing bleeding from the eyes? Anyone else have any hair left on their head after thinking about going LED?

Or...am I just a lone, crazy wolf here?

LaOtIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Orm Embar
Registered Member

I've read a bunch on LED's as well . . . fortunately, I have a 6 month or so window before the tank goes up, so I can lurk for a while. But, yes, there's a lot to cause headaches. :-)

Quotes from my friends upon seeing my tank: "Hey, fresh sushi!"
Orm Embar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 07:00 PM   #3
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

When you get it figured out, please let us know.

Current Tank: Undergoing reconstruction...
disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 07:05 PM   #4
LaOtIn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc1 View Post
When you get it figured out, please let us know.
dude! this was my plea for sanity!

Everyone says LEDs are wonderful, and I agree they are wonderful.

I've seen them at world pet expo and other shows

here's the catch though, I just want to see someone with a tank like mine (90g standard, mixed reef) who went LED and took pictures over a 6 month time period.

I don't mind spending the money if I know its going to work. I am too attached to my corals to "experiment" with them, ya know

biggest obstacle of LED lighting for reef tanks = the unknown!

LaOtIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Reef264
Where's The Reef?

Personally, I feel there is 1 answer to the 39 questions you just asked.Ecotech Radion.I have seen what it can do, and I have evaluated the corals that have been under it for the last 4 months, and they are the best looking corals I think I've ever seen!

-Ray

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS Reef, 2x250w 14k Pheonix Metal Halides w/T-5 Actinics, 2 Tunze 6095's, Tunze 7096 controller, Ozone, Precision Marine Skimmer, Reef Octopus Bio-Churn Bio Pellet Reactor, GFO & Carbon Reactor, Ozone Reactor, ATO, Reef Keeper.
Reef264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 08:34 PM   #6
ReefUrchin
Moved On

So says the man with the signature of:

"Current Tank Info: 115g SPS Reef, 2x250w 14k Metal Halides w/T-5 Actinics"

ReefUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Orm Embar
Registered Member

OK, I will take a stab at what I know- feel free to correct me.

1) LED lighting is still a rapidly evolving technology for reef aquaria, and as such it will probably feel like getting a cell phone for the next year or three
2) To have good coral growth, you need a LED fixture (whether DIY or manufactured) that has a significant amount of light matching to the various peaks of chlorophyll absorption. Examples would include 400-420 nm, 450-500 nm, and 640-700 nm
3) To have good coloration, you need a LED fixture that has actinic range wavelengths (400-420 nm) and a broad band across the visible light spectrum without leaving specific colors out
4) Many LED units out there lack certain of the above characteristics, leading to poor growth, poor coloration, or both
5) DIY'ing the above is beyond what I care to invest into a reef tank, so I can only say that you can theoretically DIY a setup covering the above for a third of high priced LED setups. This is beyond my knowledge
6) LED's may not necessarily look "bright" but have the potential to burn/bleach corals, so start them out at low %'s and increase as needed. As most units can be adjusted, this is much easier than changing the height of a fixture or having multiple layers of mesh screen that gradually get removed
7) 2 units that have both come out recently and that (I believe) meet the above criteria with the possible exception of the red peak are the Kessil a350's and the Maxspect Razors. Kessils are not upgradable, have colors set manually, but seem well suited for cubes. Maxspects are upgradable and come with mounting legs, and mild controllability. Both supposedly have very good customer service. Of the 2, I lean towards the Maxspects due to the upgradability and sunrise/sunset.

If you need to buy soon, MACNA may be introducing some new models so that should be interesting.

The other option is to simply wait a year or two until the technology is more mature, and stick with what you have/buy used T5's and/or MH's.

If I'm mistaken, or am missing something (unless it's DIY), feel fere to correct me.

Quotes from my friends upon seeing my tank: "Hey, fresh sushi!"
Orm Embar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 11:59 PM   #8
Reef264
Where's The Reef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefUrchin View Post
So says the man with the signature of:

"Current Tank Info: 115g SPS Reef, 2x250w 14k Metal Halides w/T-5 Actinics"

I felt recommending MH's would be irrelevant to the topic.Believe me, I thought about it!

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS Reef, 2x250w 14k Pheonix Metal Halides w/T-5 Actinics, 2 Tunze 6095's, Tunze 7096 controller, Ozone, Precision Marine Skimmer, Reef Octopus Bio-Churn Bio Pellet Reactor, GFO & Carbon Reactor, Ozone Reactor, ATO, Reef Keeper.
Reef264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 06:42 AM   #9
STEELERFAN747
Registered Member

I have spent numerous hours on this the past few months looking mostly at the ai sol blues, the vegas and diy. I did not look at the radion as I was turned off by the high price tag and poor par readings. After many hours of going back and forth between one way and another I decided to purchase the maxspect razor. I just received it yesterday and will be setting it up this weekend.

The reasons I decided this way are the following,

1. Did not like the over all look of the ai sol blues as I was not thrilled with just having white and blue leds

2. Ai Vegas. While I like all the colors available, I was not thrilled with the idea of having to buy 2 fixtures plus a controller

3. Diy. While this option seemed quite appealing to me, I was never truly 100% sure that I would be happy with the overall aesthetics of it and this is a big concern to me as I have a rimless tank so I am not able to hide it under a canopy and I would have also the task of having to find a housing place for 3-4 drivers

After taking all this into consideration I felt the razor was a great and obvious choice as it has a much fuller spectrum, it's so thin which makes it a gorgeous fixture to hang over the tank has a built in controller and is very economical, so much so that I would have paid more for a diy fixture

Current Tank Info: 46g, 22" rimless starphire ReefSavvy cube, Speedwave DC 790 return pump, Custom acrylic sump/fuge, set of Tunze 6055 PH's with multi controller 7095, Cadlights PLS-100 skimmer, Apex controller, Tunze osmolator & Maxspect Razor 120w led light fixture

Last edited by STEELERFAN747; 09/29/2012 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Info added
STEELERFAN747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 06:43 AM   #10
coralsnaked
Registered Member

Im still waiting for the perfect LED set up to come out LOL and for now I still go old school w/ VHO in large tanks and CF in small tanks. But I do use LED 445nm to suppliment for my viewing pleasure

coralsnaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 06:57 AM   #11
Hodge1995
Registered Member

I am researching as well. I am leaning toward a DIY that way I can adjust them as I like. I am hoping the price of them will come down soon.

Hodge1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 07:02 AM   #12
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
Do I go DIY?
if yes, what brand?
after brand, which colors?
after colors, building woes, troubleshooting, testing!!
I bought some LEDs, built a fixture and stuck it over the tank. Love the thing, no problems,

[QUOTE] Can you go blind if you...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
And you keep coming back to the most simple of questions!

"Am I going to harm my corals?"

which actually leads to other questions...

will my corals grow?
will they grow better?
will they stop growing?
will I bleach them out?
will I burn them with too much LED light?
how far above my tank do I put the LEDs?
how many fans?
which types of fans?
whats the best ratio?
whats the best wattage?
will I even like them?
is the eye king, or is the coral growing enough?
how much will this cost me?
how can I sell it to my wife?
do I really need to upgrade?
will I have buyers remorse in a month? 2 months? 6 months?
will I have to move my corals down away from the light?
how do I acclimate the coral to the new lights?
will I start an algae farm in my tank?
pre-made bulbs, fixtures, DIY boards?
I think you are thinking way too much into this decision.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 08:16 AM   #13
Sethjamto
Registered Member

I Asked all the same questions too......went blind researching.....never found the solid answer I wanted. Ended up with MH/T5 combo that is tried and true and love it, as does my tank!

Unread 10/01/2012, 07:19 PM   #14
drouner
Registered Member

I have an eye doctors tomorrow and hope to see a shrink soon about this as well. Just wish someone would make a decision and buy me somthing that I would like.

I'm just happy to be here!

It all started with a 10 gallon Wal Mart FW combo.

Current Tank Info: Old school Oceanic 58 gallon mixed reef
drouner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 08:08 PM   #15
Windirmere
Registered Member

I was really hoping for "can you go blind if... a lion fish pokes you in they eye" or something like that. I have a biocube 29 with the rapid led DIY kit with 15 royal blue 9 cool white led's and sun burned some of my poor sps's : ( but now that i have it dialed down a bit im getting some awesome growth on my acro's and birds nest and monti. Colour wise i wish i went with 2-3 more blues : (. Im saving for a 65-90 Gallon tank upgrade in the next few years and will def be using LED's again. I hope there is a good all in one system out for a reasonably price due to me not being as DIY compatible as i though lol.

Windirmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2012, 09:55 AM   #16
chunk78
Registered Member

I have an AI sol blue and am looking to upgrade to a larger tank ...which means I am starting my second round of LED research and yes you can..

chunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote