Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Robert_92
Registered Member

Question Mantis Shrimp & Urchin?

Hey guys, I have a big 50 gallon tank that's set up, and a new 30gallon I'm setting up for a peacock mantis shrimp.

I'm wondering if I can just ditch the 50 gallon, and put the urchin and other hermits & snails I have (I realize the hermits and snails will probably die, maybe I'll stick them in the sump) with the 30 gallon and mantis shrimp. As long as he doesn't attack my Urchin. (Black Spined Urchin)

I don't have any fish yet, just some coral and live rock, and a decorator crab besides the hermits and snail.

Robert_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Jacwil
Registered Member

Difficult to say but IMO, once that urchin strolls near the den of your stom, problems will arise for the urchin.

-Justin
Jacwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 07:25 AM   #3
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

My peacock took a black long spin apart and eat the meaty insides. I thought it might happen but was thinking it unlikely due to them being found in different parts of the reef. I also thought being that a peacock would rather go for the snails, crabs, and hermit crabs. But as many of us can attest to these animals toy with and figure out how to attack and kill potential pre till they get what they want. So having seen a peacock eat a long spine and make a huge mess of broken spines in the tank I have to tell you the something i tell everyone about keeping a mantis; don't put anything in the mantis tank your not willing to lose. Also a 30 is small for a long spine they will out grow it but to me a 50 or 55 seems small for them. Hope this helps u make your decision.

Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, and steady is fast.

Current Tank Info: Enough to be considered an addict.
TundraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

O. scyllarus will feed on a variety of urchins although other echinoderms (cucumbers, starfish, sandollars, crinoids, brittlestars) are usually not attacked as prey. That doesn't mean that they won't be rearranged as part of the furniture.

Roy

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Robert_92
Registered Member

Okay thanks guys! Guess I'm keeping this 50gallon, haha.

Robert_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 03:21 PM   #6
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

The Doc has spoken!

Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, and steady is fast.

Current Tank Info: Enough to be considered an addict.
TundraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2012, 11:52 AM   #7
VaderWS6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraGuy View Post
The Doc has spoken!

2001 black T/A WS6~M6 ASC#6979
331rwhp/348rwtq
Mods: !CAGS, Pro 5.0, TSP lid, BGRA, Raptor shift light, Strange 4.10 gears, Strano springs, SLP Bilstein shocks, GMMG exhaust

Current Tank Info: Main reef:75 gallon w/ 2 250watt Radium 20k run on a PFO dual 250watt HQI ballast w/Lumenbright mini reflectors. 4 110watt VHO actinics for dawn/dusk,Geo kalkreactor,Litermeter 3,Xtreme 160 skimmer,2 Vortech mp40w's
VaderWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2012, 11:35 PM   #8
hikarishadow
Registered Member

I know Dr. Roy has already been here, but to add...
I strongly suspect my black longspine urchin had something to do with the untimely death of my very young peacock. She'd just finished molting and I gave her a few hours of "mantis mouth to mouth" with a turkey baster flushing her gills before she died twitching like she'd been poisoned. I would avoid putting the two together for the sake of both sides.

Good luck with your mantis adventure.

hikarishadow is offline   Reply With Quote