Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/15/2012, 06:05 PM   #1
jjohn3845
Registered Member

Does apex control AI Vega LEDs

Hi all.
My chiller went out so instead of buying a new chiller I thought I would jump to LEDs. Got 2 vega with the Neptune VDM module and the wire for the module. Got home and no way to hook the 2 together. I missed someone could someone tell me what I missed. Please

jjohn3845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2012, 06:13 PM   #2
CqSmrtazz
Registered Member

I just checked into this myself. I contacted AI and Greg Morgan told me this
"My personal favorite and one of the best units currently out there is the Aqua Illumination Vega, but unfortunately it is not currently compatible with the Neptune Systems Apex". They are currently working on an Apex compatible version of the Vega, no word as to when it will be available.

CqSmrtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2012, 06:27 PM   #3
jjohn3845
Registered Member

Ok thanks for the quick reply. Quess going to order a AI controller on Monday. I'm really nervous about changing to LEDs but lots of advantage's I quess hope I like the look of them.
Thanks again for the help

jjohn3845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2012, 06:49 PM   #4
CqSmrtazz
Registered Member

Your welcome. The sol is compatible, but doesn't have any of the features of the Vega's. I also contacted Acan Lighting, the 800 and 600 series are Apex ready. I personally am waiting for the Vega's. Unless something better comes along.

Unread 12/15/2012, 09:05 PM   #5
kweckstrom
Registered Member

Wow. Very surprised the vegas aren't apex controllable. That was a major selling point of the Sol units.

Unread 12/27/2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Jpellica
Registered Member

This is an epic fail since I currently use the AI wireless which still needs to be constantly connected to a wall outlet(not how this makes is wireless) and it a horrible unit.

Current Tank Info: 200 Gallon DD 2 40 BR sum\fuge Mixed Reef
Jpellica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2012, 06:40 PM   #7
CqSmrtazz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpellica View Post
This is an epic fail since I currently use the AI wireless which still needs to be constantly connected to a wall outlet(not how this makes is wireless) and it a horrible unit.
Really, what don't you like about them?

Unread 12/27/2012, 08:23 PM   #8
RussM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpellica View Post
This is an epic fail since I currently use the AI wireless which still needs to be constantly connected to a wall outlet(not how this makes is wireless)
Epic fail? Really? How would you expect it to be powered then? Batteries would not last long, since it maintains continuous *wireless communications* with the fixture(s). It still eliminates the need to have a cable between the controller and the lights, allowing more convenience and flexibility in placement.

RussM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2013, 08:49 PM   #9
CES
Registered Member

I recently setup the AI Vega LEDs (4 units) above a 200g new reef tank. The light units themselves are great and look like something Apple would build. The wireless controller unit is so poor, its almost as if it was built 20 years ago when things used to read "made in Hong Kong"... crappy piece of junk would be too kind!

1. Unit is very poorly built.
2. Wall charger, won't keep power (tried several outlets) - the components inside are shifting due to the cord weight, which pulls on the internal components resulting in power loss.
3. When the wireless controller powers down (which if I haven't mentioned enough, is garbage), the lights no longer operate properly.
4. I've had to reset to factory settings 3x and re-sync the lights 4 or 5.
5. The buttons on the controller do not function properly (understatement)
6. The UI is 100% text menu driven.

I'm setting up APEX controller for tank automation, but so far no luck on APEX + Vega support.

CES is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 02:53 PM   #10
ReefCoastie
Registered Member

I would have to agree the ai controller is kinda junk but the director platform is going to be out this summer. Now as for the "wireless" I thought it would have batteries and the programing would be sent to the light, where the "light" would know when to turn on and off. So the remote would be anywhere in the house to show friends the lightning show or change the colors on demand. AI thought it would be cost effective to have the brain in the remote. Also they know about the super junk chargers and if u call them a new one will be sent out fast. I skipped this step and used a iPhone charger, never had problems. As for the apex, the ai controller does way way more then the apex could do so they went with what is now.

ReefCoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2013, 08:47 PM   #11
CqSmrtazz
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna wait until i can get something that has all the bells and whistles and is 100% compatible with the Apex. Lighting companies need to get with the program, it's not like there's a limited market for them.

Unread 04/01/2013, 10:33 AM   #12
liquidfunk
Premium Member

CES have you tried the new firmware? It solves pretty much all of these problems except the cord thing, but like Russ said batteries wouldnt work well. I dont know what you mean by the weight of the cord pulling the components inside, I havent heard about that before. Maybe your's is just defective? The controller has to remain powered to instruct the fixtures on what to do.

Unread 05/02/2013, 09:13 AM   #13
sohal1025
Registered Member

Why doesn't a controller work with these lights?
I'm confused. Doesn't these controllers just turn on/off an outlet strip that a component is plugged into? Why doesn't it work?
I have a AC Jr and am planning on getting an Apex light. Is there going to be any problems??

><((((º>`•.¸¸.•><((((º>´¯`•><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 180 gal reef tank, Reef Radiance led lighting,20gal long sump,SuperReefOctopus,phosban reactor
sohal1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2013, 01:02 PM   #14
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

If all you needed to do was turn a device on or off, then yes any device, any light will work with the controller.

However these lights have more capabilities than just on/off. They can dim. You can adjust the color spectrum on Kessil's. That's way more than on/off and requires compatible software in the Apex to work with the light vendor's software. That's where the Apex Ready program comes in. The Neptune engineers work with the vendor like Ecotech with the Vortech pumps or Kessil and AI with their lights to make sure that the Apex has the cables and the software that makes it plug and play with these more complex pieces of equipment.

On/off...that's the easy part!

Unread 05/02/2013, 01:54 PM   #15
sohal1025
Registered Member

So, I would have no problem doing all that stuff if I have an AI controller when I get the lights, right?

><((((º>`•.¸¸.•><((((º>´¯`•><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 180 gal reef tank, Reef Radiance led lighting,20gal long sump,SuperReefOctopus,phosban reactor
sohal1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2013, 02:43 PM   #16
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

Again, the Apex becomes the light controller - you don't need the AI controller, or in the case of Kessil's their control is built in but you wouldn't use it. The Apex, as part of the Apex Ready program has the appropriate hardware, software and/or electrical interface to operate the device.

For AI lights you need the VDM module. For Kessil you either need the full Apex or if you have a Jr, the VDM module. For Vortech pumps you need the WXM module. These modules in conjunction with the Apex controller have the necessary hardware/software to operate these controllable devices.

Unread 05/02/2013, 04:40 PM   #17
RussM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
Again, the Apex becomes the light controller - you don't need the AI controller
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
For AI lights you need the VDM module.
This applies only to AI Sols. The AI Vegas are not controllable by an Apex.

RussM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 09:12 PM   #18
gabe145
Registered Member

I have 1 Vega color on my tank, looks and works great, I custom built a canopy to hold 2 vegas at abut 14" above the water's surface. I run mine for about 11 hours a day (7 of that is full, 2 ramping up, 2 ramping back down). The par is great, forgot the #'s off my head. but now I just need 1 more and corals to go with that great colors of the light.

gabe145 is offline   Reply With Quote