Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/21/2012, 04:50 PM   #1
PotRoast
Registered Member

Dyndds issue not connecting

I feel like I am missing a step and I am not sure what to do.

I have my apex at home of course. I just got my dyns account. My address is:

apexathome.dynathome.net

I entered my home ip address when prompted. I have the updater client running on my computer. It is producing a green light. I assume that is good.

Now, what do I do? If I type in the address above it doesn't get me anywhere.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

PotRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2012, 05:25 PM   #2
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

Quote:
Am I missing something?
Yup.

All that name does is point traffic to your modem. Once you get there your modem passes traffic to your router. That's where the port forwarding comes in. Traffic arrives - now what to do with it? How does the router know who to give this inbound request to? Your controller? Your PC? Your web cam?

You need to configure your router so traffic on port xxxx goes to IP address = your controller. Now, when you append the port number to that host name you created, it's the rest of the information your router needs to....route.

For example: http://apexathome.dynathome.net:1234

Now, in your router, forward TCP (or ALL if no other option) traffic with port 1234 to IP address 192.168.0.50 (or whatever your Apex is).

Make sure your controller has a static IP address by setting DHCP = DISABLE in the network settings so this doesn't change on you.

And remember to reboot the controller whenever you make a network configuration change.

Last edited by aquamanic; 12/21/2012 at 05:35 PM.
aquamanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2012, 06:38 PM   #3
PotRoast
Registered Member

Oh I gotcha. I was just forgetting to enter my ports. I already have all my apex and camera ports forwarded, so adding my ports to the end of the address works perfectly.

Thanks so much. I knew I was close!

PotRoast is offline   Reply With Quote