Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/23/2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Reef1589
Anemones for life

Antibiotic Treatment with a S. Gigantea

So i was gonna post this in Minh's Antibitotic treatment of a H. Mag but figure i would make a different post since its a different species, and im using different Antibiotics...

everyone knows ive been looking for a Bright Green S. Gig, and sure enough the one i find at my LFS.... of course i gotta take the difficult route and get an unhealthy one.. and they gave it to me 1/2 off the normal price of 49.99 so i paied 29.99 i love that fact that they dont really know what they have..

im probably jumping the gun by posting this now, but figured i would do it anyways, give you all something to read and conversate about
it was in a tank for 1 day without treatment and in treatment tank 1 day now... (look at the before and after pictures)

Date of Purchase : 12 / 21 / 2012

Treatment Details :
Antibiotic - Levofloxacin 250mg / 10g (Minh used Ciprofloxacin)
Tank Temp - 79.5

Onto the pictures

In the tank at the LFS -
No i did not buy the purple/blue one..
Photobucket

Upon getting it home and what it looked like for 24 hrs before moving it to treatment tank
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

i added gravel incase it was gonna attach to the glass..at some point (clearly it wasnt going to though)
Photobucket

After Adding to the treatment tank, 12/22/2012 5:00 pm and adding the antibiotic, i would say within an hour i started to notice a difference it was starting to put its guts back inside himself (still droopy though) it still wasnt attached to anything at all... hour by hour kept putting its internals back inside himself.. and you could see his mouth actually taking shape instead of being just some gaping hole ... i would say by 10:00 pm his mouth was a little bit bigger than a quarter... Now yes i know they do their inflate/deflate cycle, yes i know they can look fine 1 minute and like death the next, so i am definantly not doing a happy dance of any sort... but i am definantly excited to see what the outcome will be.

Pictures of it in the Treatment Tank hours after being added

12/23/2012 2:30 a.m. (got back from the bars ha)
Photobucket

Reef1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Reef1589
Anemones for life

and these are pictures as of about an hour ago 12/23/2012 - 3:00 p.m.
Photobucket

Photobucket

foot is now firmly attached.

Photobucket

Unread 12/23/2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Reef1589
Anemones for life

also gotta give a shout out to minh for helping me with the setup, and talking about Cipro / Levo, and the different approaches to take great guy.

Unread 12/23/2012, 08:00 PM   #4
nemoboy1
Registered Member

Wow what a difference. Not quite out of the woods yet but looks like its heading in the right direction. So what's the procedure 250mg per 10 gallons... How many days etc.

I'm an idiot probably would of picked both of them up for the right price ofcourse.

nemoboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2012, 09:07 PM   #5
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Good luck Robbie! I'm going to come take a field trip up to your LFS one of these days.

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2012, 09:24 PM   #6
OrionN
Moved on

Goodluck Robbie. I will be pulling for ya.

Is this Green Gigantea one of your "... Current Nem STock - S. Gigantea x 6..."?
6 gigantea!!!! where do you put them all?

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Reef1589
Anemones for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoboy1 View Post
Wow what a difference. Not quite out of the woods yet but looks like its heading in the right direction. So what's the procedure 250mg per 10 gallons... How many days etc.

I'm an idiot probably would of picked both of them up for the right price ofcourse.
haha with this being a new expirment i only wanted to focus on just one, and i knew i was picking up another anemone today anyways :P bigger, healthier and bluer haha

as for procedure.. i was thinking a 3 day treatment of full 250mg / 10g
and then after that reduce the dosage till its just tank water, than i was gonna see what happened from their..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_vol View Post
Good luck Robbie! I'm going to come take a field trip up to your LFS one of these days.
Thanks you never got back to my Post on CMAS about trading a Mag for a S. gig haha i asked what color Mag's you got :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Goodluck Robbie. I will be pulling for ya.

Is this Green Gigantea one of your "... Current Nem STock - S. Gigantea x 6..."?
6 gigantea!!!! where do you put them all?
Yes it is apart of 6 total now, i picked up 2 over this past weekend...

A bar i go to alot had a huge 300g Display tank, with a large Blue S. Gigantea its been in there for over a year.. well they know i like Saltwater fish tanks, and they took the that tank down, and asked me if i wanted anything.. better beleive i took that s. gig :P haha ill be posting pics of that one as soon as it settles in nicely, and then i picked up this green one from my LFS, and then the original 4 purples ive had... the big one in my 65g, 1 in the 150g, and then 2 are in a 29g Bio cube (dont worry they are smaller ones haha.. ) im going to be making a thread here shortly for my Anemone Collections to show them all off, and give details on their lighting.... flow's.. ect..ect.. cause each one is a different enviroment with different lighting..

so for an easier break down haha..

2 - 29g biocube, 175W MH, 10k (have had for 8 months)
1 - 65g shallow tank, 250W MH 20k - MP10's (have had for 8 months)
2 - 150g Tank, 400W MH 14k, MP40's ( 1 has been in there 2 months, other is new arrival)
1 - 10g Treatment Tank - no light, receives side light from 250W MH from 65g

Unread 12/23/2012, 11:27 PM   #8
nemoboy1
Registered Member

Where would one get Antibiotic - Levofloxacin 250mg / 10g (Minh used Ciprofloxacin)?

Salinity and age water? I have a bleached one I acquired and I would like to try this antibiotic on. Thanks

Unread 12/24/2012, 02:11 AM   #9
OrionN
Moved on

I would not threat bleached anemone with antibiotic. It have to be infected, meaning deflating cycles, and is getting worst. Antibiotic would not help bleaching at all. I would do a Zooxanthellae transplant instead. There was a thread about this several years ago.

Here is that thread. In fact, I am going to receive the donor anemone in the near future, as soon as the rush on sending boxes for the holiday is over.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1694526

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip

Last edited by OrionN; 12/24/2012 at 02:20 AM.
Unread 12/24/2012, 02:49 AM   #10
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I would not threat bleached anemone with antibiotic. It have to be infected, meaning deflating cycles, and is getting worst. Antibiotic would not help bleaching at all. I would do a Zooxanthellae transplant instead. There was a thread about this several years ago.

Here is that thread. In fact, I am going to receive the donor anemone in the near future, as soon as the rush on sending boxes for the holiday is over.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1694526
+1. In the past year, I've seen quite a few bleached gigs come in, and they did WAY better than those that still had zoox but showed symptoms of illness. You'll know if your gig is sick, and that's when you should treat it. If it's just bleached but acting normal, I would try to feed it and give it a lot of light, and it should recover on its own.

Unread 12/24/2012, 07:26 AM   #11
nemoboy1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
+1. In the past year, I've seen quite a few bleached gigs come in, and they did WAY better than those that still had zoox but showed symptoms of illness. You'll know if your gig is sick, and that's when you should treat it. If it's just bleached but acting normal, I would try to feed it and give it a lot of light, and it should recover on its own.
Im not trying to treat it because its bleached. It's not doing so well... Deflate/inflate and looks very flappy on the plus side it is attach and mildly sticky with a small gaping mouth. But I know need to treat it. Thanks

WP is good lighting is 4t5 and flow is mildly strong.

Unread 12/24/2012, 08:44 AM   #12
ReefingIt
Registered Member

Can you pls share with us why you chose Levo versus Cipro when it came to treating the type of anemone. I know that Minh was using the Cipro for the Mags. Also, how much of the water are you changing per day in the treatment tank.

What does the treatment tank consist of. I see a heater, hob filter?, air bubbler? Small pump?

Thanks.

ReefingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Reef1589
Anemones for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoboy1 View Post
Where would one get Antibiotic - Levofloxacin 250mg / 10g (Minh used Ciprofloxacin)?

Salinity and age water? I have a bleached one I acquired and I would like to try this antibiotic on. Thanks
I got Levofloxacin prescribed to me for an upper respitory infection i had.. so it just so happened to be luck for me.. (you maye be able to get your DR to call it in at your pharmacy for you if you provide him pictures and details of what your doing) another option is to try Cipro like minh did, from what he told me Cipro is cheaper then Levo ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefingIt View Post
Can you pls share with us why you chose Levo versus Cipro when it came to treating the type of anemone. I know that Minh was using the Cipro for the Mags. Also, how much of the water are you changing per day in the treatment tank.

What does the treatment tank consist of. I see a heater, hob filter?, air bubbler? Small pump?

Thanks.
The only reason i chose Levo over Cipro is because its what i had haha, earlier last week it was prescribed to me for a upper respitory infection, and i was curious about Minh's Cipro so i Wikapedia'd it ... and then when i picked up this anemone and i was calling a few friends who might of been able to get it for me (cipro) i decided to wikapedia my new medicine i just got because i realized they had the same Floxacin in them ( Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin) and this is what wikapedia showed me

Ciprofloxacin (INN) is a second generation fluoroquinolone antibiotic.[2][3] Its spectrum of activity includes most strains of bacterial pathogens responsible for respiratory, urinary tract, gastrointestinal, and abdominal infections, including Gram-(-) (Escherichia coli, Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Legionella pneumophila, Moraxella catarrhalis, Proteus mirabilis, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa), and Gram-(+) (methicillin-sensitive but not methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Enterococcus faecalis, and Streptococcus pyogenes) bacterial pathogens. Ciprofloxacin and other fluoroquinolones are valued for this broad spectrum of activity, excellent tissue penetration, and for their availability in both oral and intravenous formulations.[4] (Many antibacterials used in serious infections must be dosed intravenously.)

Levofloxacin (Levaquin (U.S.), Tavanic (E.U.), and others) is a broad spectrum antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone drug class.[1][2] Its spectrum of activity includes most strains of bacterial pathogens responsible for respiratory, urinary tract, gastrointestinal, and abdominal infections, including Gram-(-) (Escherichia coli, Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Legionella pneumophila, Moraxella catarrhalis, Proteus mirabilis, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa), Gram-(+) (methicillin-sensitive but not methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Enterococcus faecalis, and Streptococcus pyogenes), and atypical bacterial pathogens (Chlamydophila pneumoniae and Mycoplasma pneumoniae). Levofloxacin and other fluoroquinolones are valued for this broad spectrum of activity, excellent tissue penetration, and for their availability in both oral and intravenous formulations.[3] (Many antibacterials used in serious infections must be dosed intravenously.) Levaquin is used alone or in combination with other antibacterial drugs to treat certain bacterial infections including pneumonia,[4] urinary tract infections,[5][6] and abdominal infections

To me, they seem to be about the same drug... (minh can probably chime in on the difference between the two more than me, as he knows alot more about tham than i do. )

Last edited by Reef1589; 12/24/2012 at 10:27 AM.
Unread 12/24/2012, 10:30 AM   #14
Reef1589
Anemones for life

More Treatment Details:

250mg / 10g, so far ive been swapping out 5g / 24 hr hours...

this is what im looking at for days of full 250g/ 10g treatment,
3 days at 250mg / 10g
on day number 4, i was gonna reduce the dosage and use 60mg / 5g water change
after that ill do normal 5g water change until its just saltwater

this anemone will sit in a QT tank for 2 weeks before i consider moving it to another tank

Tank Contents:
4 Dry Rocks
1 Heater
1 Thermometer
1 HoB Filter, No filter pads in it, just using it to help with random flow
1 Small Pump for Flow

and thats it.

Unread 12/24/2012, 10:41 AM   #15
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

The anemone looks much better,I used the antibotics (cipro) and same treatment procedure Minh used for my mag,and I am convinced it works.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2012, 11:02 AM   #16
OrionN
Moved on

Don't stop treatment too soon.

Cash price for 10 days course for human is about 15 dollrs for Cipro (ciprofloxacin generic) and 80-90 for Levaquin (levofloxacin but no generic)

Unread 12/24/2012, 12:24 PM   #17
ReefingIt
Registered Member

Thanks to you and Minh for sharing this information. I almost lost faith in keeping these beautiful animals until i came across yours and Minh's threads. This gives me a little inspiration to give it another go.
Another question i have is, would you recommend that this type of treatment as a preventative measure or quarantine so that any new additions cannot contaminate existing anemones that are healthy? I know I have read on here where some people have lost perfectly healthy anemones after an infected new one was added.

Unread 12/24/2012, 02:46 PM   #18
OrionN
Moved on

Ciprofloxacin and Levofloxacin is about the same medication but Cipro is older and generic is available. In human Cipro is eliminate quicker from kidney and is dosed twice a day while Levaquin is dose once a day.

In aquarium, both get breakdown by light. No kidney to worry about. I would dose both at the same strength and dose after the light go out once a day. That way the anemone get full concentration of the dose at least for the night. In full light after the light cycleI don't think the concentration of the med in the tank is very much (I read that the 1/2 live of Cipro in fresh water full sun is about 5 hrs. Who know how much medication in our tank at the end of the light cycle.

I am not sure if I use this treatment prophetically. Right now I just treat anemone that I think infected. There are importer who treat all anemone on arrival but I don't have any data on this. I am not an importer and don't handle that many anemone. I am hoping that all of us post these anecdotally and we all gain experience from this. It is important that we post negative experiences also. That way we see the true effect of the medication and of the treatment result.

Unread 12/24/2012, 05:23 PM   #19
Reef1589
Anemones for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefingIt View Post
Thanks to you and Minh for sharing this information. I almost lost faith in keeping these beautiful animals until i came across yours and Minh's threads. This gives me a little inspiration to give it another go.
Another question i have is, would you recommend that this type of treatment as a preventative measure or quarantine so that any new additions cannot contaminate existing anemones that are healthy? I know I have read on here where some people have lost perfectly healthy anemones after an infected new one was added.
well i would say a QT's purpose weather its for fish... or anemone's is to prevent passing any illness's into the tank and yes that is true i have experienced losing a healthy carper introducing a new carpet that was not QT'ed.

I have pictures of today, still looks promising.... did another 5g water change today with Levo, hasnt deflated yet since treatment start.. only thing im really noticing is loss of color (due to lack of light) ill probably be putting my old dimmable LeD lights over it see if it likes that.

Here's pictures of it today

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am curious about verracue.. some people say they arent related to anemone's health at all, notice on this ones they are dented in/inverted.../ colorless ... (except for a few) im curious as its health comes around if they will become more lifted... and colored...
Photobucket

Also throughout this there was 1 bald spot on the anemone that im paying close attention too, to see if the tentacles come back.. during treatment or if they come back after treatment..

Photobucket

Unread 12/24/2012, 07:44 PM   #20
Reef1589
Anemones for life

So far today there has been 3 releases of zooxanthellae, All about this size.. not sure if the antibiotic is making him poop out the bad bacteria, or if he was doing it from not having direct light over him (he now has a LeD3 par38 bulb over him) he isnt deflating yet either so thats still good.

Photobucket

Unread 12/24/2012, 09:43 PM   #21
OrionN
Moved on

Looking good.
The bald spot won't come back during treatment but once they are healthy, they will come back. I think right now the anemone is spend all of it's energy staying alive. They may shrink a little instead of growing.
I would put as much light on it as you can. This will help IMO.

Unread 12/24/2012, 10:04 PM   #22
Reef1589
Anemones for life

i put the LeD's i used to recover that one really really bleached purple one over this one, so i know its enough light for it :P tomarrow will be its first full day of direct light..

Unread 12/24/2012, 10:30 PM   #23
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef1589 View Post

Thanks you never got back to my Post on CMAS about trading a Mag for a S. gig haha i asked what color Mag's you got :P
Sorry. I do most of my RC surfing on my phone anymore (like I am right now), so I miss a lot. I frequent this forum more so than CMAS. I hope to find some computer time tomorrow and I'll check in on your thread over there. Merry Christmas!

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2012, 11:48 PM   #24
ReefingIt
Registered Member

Thanks for the updates. Keep those coming as we would all love to see this Gig make its way to recovery. Are you making daily water changes with water from your DT or freshly made?

Also, how about starting a new thread to show off your other collection of gigs and haddoni. Would love to see them.

Thanks.

Unread 12/27/2012, 10:51 AM   #25
God.
Registered Member

Not to hijack this thread or anything but I also have is a similar experience treating these anemones with antibiotics . Will post log soon

God. is offline   Reply With Quote