Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2013, 08:47 AM   #1
ptreef
Registered Member

RO membrane flushed for 8 hrs....Now VERY VERY little output

i went to flush my RO membrane last night, went to bed and forgot. Switched back to regular, but over the last 3 hrs have next to no additional RO/DI water made. It sounds like most all the water is still passing the membrane and going to the drain. And the output is SUPER slow. WAYYY slower than normal. I normally see about 3 gal/hr in summer and closer to 2 gal/hr in winter. Pressure is still about 65-70 and incoming water is probably in the 50's....

I tried shutting the water off for a a few minutes and restart w/o no luck.

When I switch to and from mebrane flush to normal production, both ways, sounds like the waste water slows to normal for a few seconds than back to pretty high.

Is the mebrane bad for some reason or the flow restrictor or even the check valve?

Ideas..any one encountered this. I have flushed it before for many hrs forgetting and never had an issue other than a bunch of wated water.

Unit is 2 yrs old last check the Membrane output was 3ppm.....

ptreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2013, 01:55 PM   #2
ptreef
Registered Member

well, thought I would update...

Turned off water supply for about 8 hrs. turned back on and gave it another try.
All seems to be working now?

Weird....but oh well works for now. Might as well order up a new membrane & flow restrictor since I will be due soon anyway, and atleast on hand if something acts up again

Unread 01/22/2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Hmm. I wonder if your flush valve is bad?

Last edited by Buckeye Hydro; 01/22/2013 at 06:15 AM.
Buckeye Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2013, 06:08 AM   #4
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

Easy way to tell - hold your waste tube in your hand and check if the flow changes significantly when you open/close the flush valve.

Unread 03/15/2013, 07:46 AM   #5
ptreef
Registered Member

Ok, so this happened again, water not shutting off after the unit has ran for about 30hrs straight making a bunch of water. This time it was in normal mode. valve on end of DI was off for a while and still dumping water down the drain.

Shut off water supply for a few hrs and now fine again?

Do you think the super cold incoming water has something to do with it. water temp is probably in the low 50's to high 40's right now?
Is it affecting membrane, check valve or auto shut off valve?

or just these getting old? 2 yrs?

Unread 03/15/2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

Probably just going bad from age/usage.

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Chas
Registered Member

Sounds like your ASO valve is shot. I find that they typically don't last all that long. Around a year, maybe two depending on make, model and line pressure. I also found that with mine (BRS $8 ASO) I had to drop the incoming pressure to ~55 PSI to keep it from bleeding through. Even with a brand new ASO I would get bleed through at 75 PSI. Once they "break in" it would bleed through at 60-65 PSI.

~Charlie

Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 02:05 PM   #8
ptreef
Registered Member

Thanks, I will swap out the ASO. It is about just over 2 yrs old. I actually have an extra New one on hand for some reason?

Unread 05/04/2013, 05:27 AM   #9
Buckeye Hydro
.Registered Member

When ASOV don't work, it is often caused by a bad check valve or a leaking float valve.

Also - be aware that ASOV's are not something I would buy based on low cost. There are so many brands we had trouble with until we settled a few years back on the brand we've been carrying since.

Russ