Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2013, 05:26 PM   #1
gdubs97
Registered Member

Recently switched to Randy's recipe from brs A&B. ??

Made the switch to making my own a/b solutions since my tank gobbles up close to 130ml each per day. Levels were dead on while using bulk reef supply a & b. after switch, alkalinity has been increasing a lot. Obviously I need to decrease dosing, but I wanted to see if this was typical for anyone else that made the switch. Calcium has held steady after the switch. Thanks

gdubs97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Psirex
Registered Member

Where can I the recipe?

Unread 02/14/2013, 05:54 PM   #3
ddmiller38
Registered Member

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#4

Erica Jong

Current Tank Info: Fluval Osaka 320, 2 x AI Sol Super Blue, MAG 9.5 Return, Bubble Magus Nac 6 Skimmer, 20 Gallon Sump, BRS GFO/Carbon Reactor, RO/DI, ReefKeeper Elite w/NET, HUB, SL1, SL2, ATO, ALC and APC controlling 2-Tunze 6095, BRS 3x Dosing pumps
ddmiller38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Psirex
Registered Member

Thanks DD

Unread 02/14/2013, 06:26 PM   #5
nanotank
Registered Member

Crazy question but is there a chance u used recipe 1 for alk and recipe 2 for the ca portion? Recipe 1 is 2x stronger then recipe 2. Maybe with brs u used the one with sodium bicarbonate instead of sodium carbonate??

nanotank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2013, 11:22 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

My guess would have been that the BRS liquids were identical to Randy's recipes, since that's where they started. Were the BRS products solutions you made yourself? I don't know what they're selling anymore.

Unread 02/15/2013, 12:36 AM   #7
gdubs97
Registered Member

I used Randy's recipe 1 for both alk and calc. There's always a chance I added too much baking soda??? I definitely used brs's sodium carbonate aka soda ash. I guess I just have to turn alk off until tomorrow and retest. I had it around 8.4 and today it tested at 10.5. I started the new recipe dosing about a week ago and did change my water this past Wednesday. Usually reef crystals makes my levels jump after a water change and I hadn't tested since right before I switched to the new recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotank View Post
Crazy question but is there a chance u used recipe 1 for alk and recipe 2 for the ca portion? Recipe 1 is 2x stronger then recipe 2. Maybe with brs u used the one with sodium bicarbonate instead of sodium carbonate??

Unread 02/15/2013, 12:38 AM   #8
gdubs97
Registered Member

Made the brs stuff myself. I'm guessing its against board policies to post a link so I won't. The stuff is soda ash for the alk and calcium chloride for the calc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
My guess would have been that the BRS liquids were identical to Randy's recipes, since that's where they started. Were the BRS products solutions you made yourself? I don't know what they're selling anymore.

Unread 02/15/2013, 12:53 AM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

The solutions should be the same strength then. I'm not sure what's happening, but I guess I wouldn't worry much.