Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2013, 05:53 PM   #1
cichlidconvert
Registered Member

Mixing haddoni and h. Mag?

I'm adding a 45 gallon tank to my well established system ( over 1 year old) and wanted to put either a haddoni or a h. Mag or if it is dumb... both. I know that by not overfeeding I can avoid huge size issues but a 45 seems tight. My reasoning is they hang out at different levels in the tank. And would aleopathy be a problem with 120 total volume and running chemi-pure/ carbon?

Unread 03/04/2013, 07:46 PM   #2
bradleym
Registered Member

In a tank that small, you may run into trouble getting light down to the Haddoni with the Mag up top. I have both in a 210 with no chemical issues so that part will likely be fine.

Current Tank Info: 92g corner round. No sand, lots of mushrooms.
bradleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2013, 09:38 PM   #3
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

I would think your trouble would be in providing ideal habitat for both in a tank that small. Mags love to be blasted with light and flow, where as haddonis do better in less flow... Just my thoughts.

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2013, 10:32 PM   #4
RossRalliart
Registered Member

Too much risk for both anemones in such small water volume, my opinion.

RossRalliart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2013, 12:12 AM   #5
cichlidconvert
Registered Member

Thank you for talking me down off that ledge I know better than to put two in a 45. I'm just gonna pick one and make it all about the one and get a group of juvenile clowns. I think it would be cool as all get out. I have a 250mh for the 45. That should be enough for either. Well I can't wait to get the new tank up and running

Unread 03/05/2013, 07:38 AM   #6
bradleym
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidconvert View Post
I'm just gonna pick one and make it all about the one and get a group of juvenile clowns. I think it would be cool as all get out.
There's no room to hide in a 45g. I hope you have somewhere bigger to put them when they start to pair off.

Current Tank Info: 92g corner round. No sand, lots of mushrooms.
bradleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2013, 09:02 AM   #7
cichlidconvert
Registered Member

I have seen others that were successful at keeping groups of clowns when grouped together while still young. But if thats the exeption and not the rule then I won't do it. I'm not smarter than mother nature I just thought its been done. I just wanted to recreate what I see in pics from the wild. I have kept carpets successfully and bta's along with 8 different kinds of Coldwater nems. (in a Coldwater setup of course) I'm just wanting to do a species specific setup and don't want a tank of death. I don't have other places to put them once they pair off other than the lfs.

Unread 03/05/2013, 09:10 AM   #8
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

I tried the group of juvies and it didn't last long,as soon as two of them paired up,they chased all the others.Some have done it,but I will not try it again.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2013, 02:40 AM   #9
cichlidconvert
Registered Member

Ok new question. I was contacted by a local who has two beautiful gigs. One lime green and one royal blue. And I mean stunning! 12-14 inches across I want to put them in this tank and make them the only things in there other than a pair of clowns and something that eats algae. I don't need to worry. Right? The Nems have been with this guy for two months and no deflating amazing color and sticky and it's a 30 min drive to get the here. It sounds too good to be true. Except the price tag but I think it ought to be ok. As long as I wait to get them until after linking the systems. The seller is ok with this
Also is 250w and 108 watts actinic ok. It's 24" deep with a 4" sanded. Will I need to place them high. I know mags love to get right up there but i see gigs lower down and wonder if I need to make their perches low or high? Sorry I keep lotsa nems but never a mag.

Unread 03/12/2013, 05:33 AM   #10
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

Your lighting should be fine,sounds like a great deal to get 2 establish gigs.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote