Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Reef Breeders LEDs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/07/2013, 02:52 PM   #1
HBPat
Registered Member

Lets See how you hang your Reef Breeder!

Looks like these are fairly popular! I am looking to see some ideas on how you hang your fixtures. I have a 50G rimless cube I am planning on putting my photon over and I could use some ideas. the wife wants it to look nice. I might have to put it in a hood unless I can get some good ideas to show her.

HBPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2013, 03:37 AM   #2
jumplittlechloe
Registered Member

I have had a couple of replies to how I hung my photon 32. I have a canopy and wanted to suspend the light, but could not use the supplied hanging kit because the light would hang too low. I used two 12" t-track rods (purchased at Woodcrafters) that I cut with a hacksaw to fix the length of my canopy. I screwed them in with small finishing screws (supplied with the t-track. I removed the 4 factory bolts in the light and replaced them with 2" bolts. The light is very sturdy and gives me a little more than 6" above the water line. I did remove the 90* optics on the moonlights to increase the spread. My tank is 64 gallons.

jumplittlechloe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2013, 02:32 AM   #3
Solov
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumplittlechloe View Post
I used two 12" t-track rods (purchased at Woodcrafters) that I cut with a hacksaw to fix the length of my canopy. I screwed them in with small finishing screws (supplied with the t-track. I removed the 4 factory bolts in the light and replaced them with 2" bolts.
Nice idea! With a couple T or star knobs it'll be quite flexible position-wise too.

Solov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2013, 07:35 PM   #4
chopper320
Registered Member

Does this slide easily in the t track? If so, is there any way to prevent it from sliding forward and off the track?

chopper320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2013, 10:11 PM   #5
jumplittlechloe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper320 View Post
Does this slide easily in the t track? If so, is there any way to prevent it from sliding forward and off the track?
It does slide in the track well, however track is mounted flush so the light would have no chance of sliding forward.

Old 03/19/2013, 11:10 PM   #6
chopper320
Registered Member

I want to incorporate this into my canopy build but the way it's designed, the bolt would have to sit about a 1/4" from the edge of the t track so I'm worried that I could bump the light and knock it out of the track. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong though. The bolts on the back side should prevent it from falling even if the front bolts slid off the track, right?

chopper320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2013, 07:43 AM   #7
jumplittlechloe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper320 View Post
I want to incorporate this into my canopy build but the way it's designed, the bolt would have to sit about a 1/4" from the edge of the t track so I'm worried that I could bump the light and knock it out of the track. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong though. The bolts on the back side should prevent it from falling even if the front bolts slid off the track, right?
The only way the light is coming out of the track is if it pulled all the way out through the front. The t-track extends all the way to the back of the canopy so the light cannot come out the back. The bolts are locked in so they will not come out if the light moves from right to left. The light is heavy (18lbs) so moving it forward takes some effort. You could put some stoppers at the front of the tracks if you are worried about bumping it. I just left the tracks longer in the front. For this thing to fall out from the front I would have to get the light caught on my shirt and decide to walk away from the tank in a straight line about 12 feet. Bumping the light is not going to cause an issue.

Old 03/20/2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Solov
Registered Member

Are the bolts 1/4" ones?

Solov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2013, 09:38 PM   #9
java
Registered Member

Just made longer cables for the hanging kit

java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/22/2013, 05:34 PM   #10
stadler51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Just made longer cables for the hanging kit

What light did you get and what size is the tank?

stadler51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/27/2013, 11:47 PM   #11
SloppyWhenWet
Registered Member

Two 24 photon. Used boxed aluminum to hold fixture together hung by cords.
Simple programming that's very powerful. Touch screen controls are slick. Can these units sync? That would be cool and more user friendly.

Silly got a ton of fiddling to do to dial them in.

SloppyWhenWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2013, 08:12 AM   #12
phenom5
Unregistered Member

Hey sloppy, how did you attach the fixtures to the aluminum frame? Then did you just drill/ tap so you could screw in the hanging kit?

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 Pro | ATI Sunpower | ATB 840 v2 | Apex | Wav
phenom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2013, 10:13 AM   #13
SloppyWhenWet
Registered Member

Got 6 foot sqaure bars. Cut to 42". 3/8 hole on one side and 3/4 hole to fit a socket to fit my 5/16 by 24 acorns for the inside 4 bolts. Outside was factory hanger which i had to cut provided hanger cord(short) to use 6 foot hanger cords i had already. Also have to cut out a place for the plug cause its in the way of rear bar. I was gonna cut the cords to make one and run it inside the hanger for a cleaner look. Used power saw, drill, cutting wheel, sockets, etc. Then i made a little hole in dry wall and used the factory slippers off the other hangers provided(had to cut cords off). Used thumb screws and left over bar to brace it over the boards in the attic. Allowed me to adjust length with no extra showing below(manual in attic kinda sucks). Knot in a saftey on top as well just in case slippers up top when out.

A few colors and violet on blue Ch would be nice. Give it a little more purple pop.

SloppyWhenWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2013, 03:44 PM   #14
indyjaco
Registered Member

Any other ideas for hanging? I am going to hang 2 24" fixtures above my 125.

I do not plan to have a canopy.

Thanks.

SCA 120G RB 48 V2
indyjaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2013, 04:57 PM   #15
MitchReef
President, F.R.A.G.

I cannot touch the beautiful jobs you guys did, and these pictures are awful, but I will show what I did with mine....The tank is a 120G 4X2X2 glass tank being installed in-wall in my living room....the actual tank and all equipment is going into the dedicated tank room that I built so the appearance of the lighting install is just for my own appreciation....

I mounted the well sealed 2X4 with white cup hooks installed to the dropped ceiling frame and the opposite wall then simply doubled the ReefBreeders Custom Hanging Kit support wires over the cup hooks and clipped them to the lights with the supplied ReefBreeders Custom Hanging Kit hanging clippy-thingies....

And it all looks like this (from the living room, into an empty tank, cranked WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY down!!!!)

Current Tank Info: 120G In-wall with dedicated, purpose built tank room, 75G sump fuge, Apex Jr, MP40W X2, Reefbreeders LEDs X2, etc....
MitchReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 08:13 AM   #16
teknokreeper
Registered Member

I have a 14' vaulted ceiling, so I did not want to go through the trouble of getting very long cables. Because of the distance my tank is from the wall, I needed my Photon 16 fixtures about 13 1/2" out. I used 1/2" black iron pipe to make two U-shaped struts. I like the "industrial" look, but my wife... Well she didn't think it was so cool So basically I turned them into ridiculously sturdy shelves using some nice looking pine, rimmed with crown molding which covers the pipe completely. I will post some pics when I get home for anyone interested. Also if you do a google search for "black pipe shelving" you will get tons of ideas. It might be something that fits in with your decor.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Mixed Reef
teknokreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 10:04 PM   #17
laytonp
Registered Member

Post some pics tek. I am still looking at options.

laytonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2013, 03:44 PM   #18
teknokreeper
Registered Member

Sorry for the delay, and the crummy pics.

I'm not finished cleaning up the wood, but it does a pretty good job showing how it will look when finished. Still have to take a door off my stand so I can try and color match the stain at the store.

A word of caution : One of the crimped ends inside the threaded mount on my hanging kit was not crimped tightly. The cable slipped out, causing one corner of my fixture to drop. Luckily it was up high enough that it did not take a dip! I just re-inserted the cable and crimped it very tightly with some vise-grips. I recommend checking them all just in case

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Mixed Reef

Last edited by teknokreeper; 04/18/2013 at 04:32 PM.
teknokreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2013, 06:46 PM   #19
laytonp
Registered Member

That looks really goog

Old 04/21/2013, 07:45 PM   #20
firstlight10
Registered Member

My hanging method is nothing fancy. I use a PVC frame that sits on the floor, my crosspiece is about 30" above the tank so I have plenty of room to adjust the height.

Old 04/22/2013, 06:45 AM   #21
lcs
It's Spring!!!!!!!

Quote:
Any other ideas for hanging? I am going to hang 2 24" fixtures above my 125.

I do not plan to have a canopy.
I'm doing the exact same set up. I haven't ruled out a canopy, but I would worry about the lights being too close to the tank, especially at first, when I move my current inhabitants over.

lcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2013, 11:16 AM   #22
laytonp
Registered Member

I am finally getting my tank in order and hung my Photon 24. I used a wire closet beam to suspend it out over the tank. Let me know what you think.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0071.jpg (31.4 KB, 545 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0072.jpg (37.0 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0073.jpg (35.8 KB, 431 views)
Old 05/06/2013, 02:36 PM   #23
hibb304
Registered Member

Here's what I did.

hibb304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2013, 08:13 AM   #24
laytonp
Registered Member

Looks good Hibb. I like the idea of having a shelf above the tank but just don't think it would work for me right now.

Old 05/07/2013, 01:49 PM   #25
hibb304
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonp View Post
Looks good Hibb. I like the idea of having a shelf above the tank but just don't think it would work for me right now.
Thanks man. That pic really sucks. Need to get a better one. Can't wait to see what you do with that cube.

hibb304 is offline   Reply With Quote