Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Reef Breeders LEDs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01/07/2014, 10:39 AM   #101
Kweli
Registered Member

9MM is perfect size, mine was about 2-4MM and slightly too thin

Here is the design
The yellow bars indicate support beams that connected the two frames together. The red bar is just a regular strip that I cut in half and welded flat on its wide side for additional support (picture will help explain this later)....

I cut the two 'legs' to the exact size of my glass, so it fits snug.

Kweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2014, 05:59 PM   #102
Kweli
Registered Member

Here are the images as promised:

You can see the two support beams, one to hold it horizontally and one vertically. I also added the mini beam under the vertical support... just so i could sleep at night without worry

Here you can see another support beam i used for vertical support.

And finally, this is at the bottom of the fixture to sit on the tank rim

Kweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2014, 08:23 PM   #103
trevor-nyc
Registered Member

Thanks for the photos. Nice work on the frame!

I'm discovering that acrylic isn't as cheap as I thought. Just plain sheets are pretty expensive. Now I'm considering doing the cuts myself with a jigsaw once I find somewhere to buy the acrylic from.

Thanks again!

trevor-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2014, 01:43 PM   #104
FishheadJoe
Registered Member

Just hung mine up!

FishheadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2014, 08:33 PM   #105
christopherjudd
Registered Member

finally was able to solve my issue.... unfortunately my stand design would not let me use conduit. I live in an apartment so do not want to drill any holes....

I got the mount from ebay for 49 bucks....

christopherjudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2014, 08:38 PM   #106
Jhuneke
Registered Member

I found these brackets at HD for 13 bux each.. And the studs luckily totally lined up centered on my tanks

Jhuneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2014, 09:43 AM   #107
mknightryder
Registered Member

I hung two Evergrow D-120's over my 90 using 1/2" black iron pipe, 4- elbows, and two blind flanges. Blind flanges are on the bottom of the light stand and mount to the back tank stand. I had all the materials lying around my plumbing shop. Gave it good priming and painting with krylon fusion.

Back when my photo skillz were shabby!

Added a LSM to my Apex and put two leds on D-120's for lunar lights.

mknightryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2014, 11:39 PM   #108
Tcook
Premium Member

mknightryder what do you have each channel set at for your lights?

Tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2014, 06:58 AM   #109
Pastey
Registered Member

Hung my 48 this weekend with T-Track:

Old 01/27/2014, 04:11 PM   #110
mknightryder
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcook View Post
mknightryder what do you have each channel set at for your lights?
12.5" off the water with 90 degree optics.
whites/colors=45% & blues=75%

mknightryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2014, 09:49 PM   #111
TChristman
Premium Member

I hung mine today. I had it all planned out to use my EZ Tube light rack that I had changed over from my halide/led combo but I did not factor in the interface on the front of the unit. Uggh. It never goes easily. With that said...I redid the light rack to be able to hang the units from the rack. Came out just fine. I am very happy with Day 1 of the 4 Reefbreeder 48s in use.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Lights are at about 35% both channels for the picture of the tank.

TChristman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2014, 08:08 PM   #112
Tcook
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknightryder View Post
12.5" off the water with 90 degree optics.
whites/colors=45% & blues=75%
Thanks. It looks great

Tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2014, 01:50 AM   #113
Reefcrazy85
Registered Member

I'm also interested in getting some reef breeders. Does anyone have any complaints or suggestions? Is there something you would do differently as far as optics or customizing the color? How's coral growth so far? Anyone had these long term?

Reefcrazy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2014, 06:03 AM   #114
JasonMHorn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefcrazy85 View Post
I'm also interested in getting some reef breeders. Does anyone have any complaints or suggestions? Is there something you would do differently as far as optics or customizing the color? How's coral growth so far? Anyone had these long term?
I did a thread on my Reef Breeders Photon 48. I included everything from from research prior to ordering, talking to Logan, optic choice, LED layout, coral growth and anything else that I could think of to help people out in their decision of what LEDs to purchase. Also others have comment on it sharing their experience. You might want to check it out.

JasonMHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2014, 06:05 AM   #115
JasonMHorn
Registered Member

I tried to post a link to the thread but for some reason I can't find it. It's not under my "threads started" thing either. Could it have gotten deleted by a mod or something? Anyone else ever had this issue?

Old 02/07/2014, 07:11 PM   #116
JasonMHorn
Registered Member

Here's the link.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2303898

Old 02/08/2014, 10:37 AM   #117
eacosta
Registered Member

How long are the hanging kits that come with the lights?

eacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2014, 03:05 AM   #118
Reefcrazy85
Registered Member

Nice thread Jason! Just ordered the photon 48 so we'll see what all the hype is about. After the thread, all the research and watching videos i think it will work out nicely. I'll post some pics once i have them hung.

Reefcrazy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2014, 01:35 AM   #119
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I have very limited space to work above each of my tanks because I have 3 tanks in a stand that are stacked above each other with about a 300mm gap between each tank.

But here is a neat design I made that I simply fixed to the stand with giant heavy duty zip ties and built it all with 20mm PVC .

pritty well hidden specially from the front view!

P.S. - I just got delivered today my 3x 24" & 2x 32" Photrons little bit like Christmas...

Old 03/04/2014, 01:13 PM   #120
garyinco
Registered Member

Nice looking mount job. Noticed you ran the the wire cable "loops" over your mount bar. Do you find the fixtures are fairly balanced front-to-back or is one side heavier than the other? I'm wrestling with a couple of overseas mounting options and that's one of my unknowns. Got a 48" on order and hope I'm in the current batch going out.

Left over pipe, the paint, and maybe some black foam pipe insulation and you'd have a dandy rollbar or snorkel for your vehicle :)

garyinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2014, 08:47 PM   #121
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Has held up well I just mounted a heavier light the 32" photon this morning on same rack setup .

Old 03/05/2014, 09:41 PM   #122
JasonMHorn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefcrazy85 View Post
Nice thread Jason! Just ordered the photon 48 so we'll see what all the hype is about. After the thread, all the research and watching videos i think it will work out nicely. I'll post some pics once i have them hung.
Thanks!! And please share your opinion on my thread. Everyone for that matter. I know that I tried to do as much research as I could before buying them. I figured if there was a thread that shared everyone's stories it could help. I'm actually surprised because it seems that a lot of people have them but haven't added to my thread.

Anyway, I hope you like them. My friend just got his Pboton 48 yesterday. I know that he wasn't to happy because it took him about a month to get them. Maybe with everyone getting them, Logan will keep some in stock.

Old 03/06/2014, 02:42 PM   #123
Aqua Joe
Registered Member

Same here, just got my 32 yesterday (ordered on Feb. 2). I know there was a delay due to the Chinese New Year but so far these things are pretty awesome! Makes me want to set my 14g biocube back up with a smaller one of these fixtures.

Aqua Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2014, 03:35 PM   #124
garyinco
Registered Member

Well, I hope I've found what will be a good hanging solution for my needs. The tank is going into my living room first thing anyone sees walking in my front door, up against a half wall, with a next to impossible hanging from the ceiling option. Playing off the DIY conduit solutions some guys in the UK came up with the following:

http://www.iquaticsonline.co.uk/univ...ng-system.html

A little pricey, but stainless steel, multiple mounting choices, flexible in configuration, nice looking... I talked with the vendor and their customer service is nice, and they answered all of my questions. So I've got one on order. One of the major questions I had was 'is the extension long enough to reach he middle of my 24" rimless tank'? Yes, over 12" for their 120cm model. Don't know on their smaller models.

Once i get it I'll update w/ hands-on opinion. Maybe these would work for others who want something turnkey and nice looking. Freight was high, but maybe they will pick a US distributor in the near future.

By the time I purchased a tubing bender, conduit, paint, figured out mounting, learned how to get two identical bends, etc, I fear I would have spent more money and there was no way I could have bought the stainless raw material from McMaster Carr for less. Pick up my Photon 48 tomorrow!

garyinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2014, 02:09 PM   #125
shanebc21
Registered Member

2 Photon 32's on my 210g. I drilled 4 holes through the canopy top and theaded the cable through and cliped the carabiner through with a washer underneath.

shanebc21 is offline   Reply With Quote