Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Brian Plankis
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2013, 12:54 PM   #1
NYCRuds
Registered Member

Isopod Follow-up

Hi Brian,

I read your paper on Cirolanid Isopods which appears to be from 2005 and I am quite impressed with your dedication to removing these. I set up a new tank with Florida live rock 3 weeks ago (march 2013) and first noticed an isopod on my Anthias the other day. It fell off on its own after a few hours with lights on. When i looked with a red light as you recommended, I realized I have literally many many of these in my tank and all follow the behavior that you explained.

I am wondering if this is a constant battle and you never really get rid of them, or if you can actually rid your tank of them using your glass jar/stinky water method. Last night I watched closely and didnt see any on my fish, but if it happened once im sure it will happen again.

Based on your experience, have you seen these isopods go after hermit crabs or are the crabs relatively safe. Same question for snails.

Please let me know how you made out in the end and if you were able to eradicate them from your tank for good.

Thanks,
David

NYCRuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2014, 05:56 PM   #2
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Good question, wonder if he posts here any more.

SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2014, 04:14 AM   #3
NYCRuds
Registered Member

Isopods

I followed his method and successfully eliminated the problem. It took a few
Months of consistent work, but it's now been a year and a half and I haven't seen anymore in my tank and I haven't been able to catch anymore leading me to believe they are all gone.

Unread 06/18/2014, 04:16 AM   #4
NYCRuds
Registered Member

Btw... During the process I must have caught more than 400 of them.

Tags
cirolanid isopod