Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Dave & Monica
Registered Member

Wp40

So I've had the Jabao WP40 installed a few days and I like the controller features of it. I have it plugged into an Apex outlet, and here is my programming:

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Time 21:00 to 09:00 Then OFF (my other pumps have a night mode in the profiles. I took out the light sensor in the WP40 controler since it's too sensitive for my lighting conditions and shuts down at about 7pm)
If FeedA 005 Then OFF (so I don't have to push more than one feed button)
If Outlet v_OVERFLOW!! = ON Then OFF

I was going to try and work this pump into my profiles, but think at this point I'll leave it as is.

I've been playing with the modes, and like the W2. Else is annoying with the whining noise. Read they get quieter with a few weeks of use; not much louder than my Tunze 6095's but just a higher pitch - so it's something I'm not use to.

Dave & Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2013, 01:12 PM   #2
SPotter
Registered Member

Wp40

I am running mine on the else mode and had it for about a month and I have to put my ear up to the tank to hear it. I have mine running with 2 6105's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2013, 04:13 PM   #3
danil
Registered Member

Just to give more info to people about WP40.
Installed it few days ago and so far I like it. I can here it working but it's nothing compare to my two MP40 pumps. I replaced one MP40 with this one and was able to cut my noise level by half at least.

danil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2013, 05:32 PM   #4
SPotter
Registered Member

now if we could figure out an easy way to wire it up to the variable speed port!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2013, 10:19 AM   #5
danil
Registered Member

I'm wanting to do the same and find this post "how to". It doesn't look complicated but you need some wires and (i think) a driver?
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...o-wp-40-a.html

Unread 05/08/2013, 01:58 PM   #6
pappy1299
Registered Member

Its very easy to do, just buy and 0-10v led dimmer on that auction site for about 35 and the hook up is fairly simple

pappy1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2013, 06:46 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy1299 View Post
Its very easy to do, just buy and 0-10v led dimmer on that auction site for about 35 and the hook up is fairly simple
Its easier than that. Just buy one or two reefangle Jaebo cables, cut one end off and wire it to the Apex VDM cable or wire it directly to a new RJ45 plug using the VDM cable pin out diagram which I think can be found in the new Apex manual. Also note that the WP40 is 0-5 volts so you can only program it to a max of 50 power using a 0-10v dimmer driver. The reefangle cable has resistors built into to cut the max power to 5v making it safe to run on the apex at full VDM power.

The instructions are a for the reefangle to Apex VDM cable is a few posts down in the Manhattenreefs link above..

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 05/08/2013 at 06:52 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2013, 07:06 PM   #8
pappy1299
Registered Member

the 0-10v is to control the dimming switch only,the dimmer side is 12-24v to control the wp40 pump. You can even remove the wp40 controller all together if you want and control it like a vortech pump with your apex

pappy1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 10:24 AM   #9
danil
Registered Member

I don't think Apex ports design to handle pump load. These are control ports which provides 0-10V signal to controllable driver or pump controller. If you put significant load on them they will burn out. I don't know what chip Neptun uses for this ports but approach with a led driver or hooking it up to WP40 controller looks more promising.

Unread 05/09/2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Dactylopterus
Registered Member

The 1-10 volts apex variable port used to control the wp40 is a signal sent to the microprocessor in the pump, this isn't actually powering the pump. the pump controller is sending signals only betwen 1-5 volts to the pump, thats why you need to add some resistors or set the profile at max 50% in the apex or you may burn the chip on the pump.

Dactylopterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 01:11 PM   #11
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactylopterus View Post
The 1-10 volts apex variable port used to control the wp40 is a signal sent to the microprocessor in the pump, this isn't actually powering the pump. the pump controller is sending signals only betwen 1-5 volts to the pump, thats why you need to add some resistors or set the profile at max 50% in the apex or you may burn the chip on the pump.
Exactly. Just like the Tunze the input from the Apex VDM output just tells the pumps microprocessor what to do. The pump itself is powered by it's AC Adapter. That said, you could in theory overdrive the pumps microprocessor by feeding it voltages in excess of 5V thus the need for the resistors.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote