Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/08/2013, 04:05 PM   #1
XStroX
Registered Member

75 Gallon Hexagon Tank/Stand/Canopy - Build Thread

First I want to thank everyone because over the last few weeks it is incredible how much I have learned just from reading these forums. What an awesome group of people! An extra thank you to those that responded in my first thread looking for initial input as well.

I am brand new to saltwater and I will continue to update this thread as I go. I am also brand new to wood working so building a stand and canopy will certainly be a challenge. I do have help around me if I need it though.

I have attached 2 pictures, showing everything I have figured out so far. Please comment/critique/question. I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking of. The acrylic tank is on the way and should be here in 1-2 weeks max. At that point I will be starting the stand.

One disclaimer up front. I will not be changing the tall/skinny design even though I know it is not ideal and makes things more difficult. The nice thing about this is that it doesn't take up much floor space and will be easy to look at while standing. I also need to keep all wires and plumbing hidden inside
Looking forward to your input!

Stro

Aquarium Build Plan 1.jpg

Aquarium Build Plan 2.jpg

XStroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2013, 03:52 PM   #2
XStroX
Registered Member

YES!! The tank finally arrived meaning I can get started building the stand. See the attached pictures. I'm hoping someone can help with the below though.

Since this acrylic tank has a partially covered top (3/8" acrylic), I want to verify my order of installing the internal 29" tall overflow and plumbing as shown in the pictures on the previous post.

1. Drill 4 holes in back bottom of tank. Should align nicely with the cutout at the top of the tank. I am very nervous for this but will likely wait until stand is coming along.
2. Install bulkheads and PVC risers. How do the PVC risers needs attached to the bulkheads? I feel like I read somewhere they don't need to screw in and don't need taped but I can't figure out why.
3. Attach 29" tall acrylic trapezoidal internal overflow permanently using acrylic adhesive. I'm a bit worried about not having much room to work due to the partially covered top when doing this. Any pointers?

Thank you all! I'll be sure to post pictures as I build the stand starting next week.

If anyone has any comments on the sump/refugium Kit I planned on ordering, please let me know as I plan to order that in the very near future.

XStroX

New Tank Front.jpg

New Tank Top No Flash.jpg

Unread 05/22/2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Andyf30
Registered Member

Woah. This is a pretty sweet tank. Looking forward to this build

Unread 06/12/2013, 05:29 PM   #4
XStroX
Registered Member

Well it has taken me a few weeks, but I believe I have the frame for the stand just about complete. It is 42" tall and 29" wide corner to corner. Take a look at the pictures. Keep in mind this is my first major wood working project.

I'm still very uncertain how to decide if this thing is sturdy enough for a 75 gallon tank other than to test it when complete. I'm certain it the the vertical strength. Stability for such a tall stand has me a bit worried although I will be wrapping it in 1/2 or 3/4" plywood or solid wood (which I can stain) and that will certainly help and also provide a bit of additional strength.

Also, should I add additional 2x4" supports under the top cover? Right now there is just one across the middle. I'm leaning towards 2 more. The top cover is 1/2" plywood if that helps.

Straight On.jpg

Angle From Above.jpg

Side View Under Top.jpg

Bottom.jpg

Last edited by XStroX; 06/12/2013 at 05:35 PM.
Unread 06/12/2013, 05:57 PM   #5
RJS8540
Registered Member

I believe once you have skinned the cabinet you will have nothing to worry about. Also looking forward to seeing this come together. I'll follow.

RJS8540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2013, 07:21 PM   #6
HunterBryan
Registered Member

Im just now in the process of cycling my 75 gallon tank. very exciting and im along for the ride! hope it comes along good

HunterBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2013, 08:15 PM   #7
XStroX
Registered Member

Anyone know if there are any disadvantages/advantages to skinning the cabinet with plywood vs solid wood? I can get 1/2" plywood like I used for the 3 hexagons for very cheap compared to buying enough solid wood to do the same.

Unread 06/16/2013, 06:14 PM   #8
XStroX
Registered Member

Finished the skin today. Sorry for the poor picture quality. There will be a trim at the top and bottom which covers the visible screw heads. I used finishing nails everywhere that won't be covered by trim.

I need to buy custom sized doors here soon (won't be making those). Anyone know if there are any advantages to leaving the back open? I'm debating whether I need 3 or 4 doors.

Front Close.jpg

Front.jpg

Left Side.jpg

Right Side.jpg

Unread 07/03/2013, 09:09 PM   #9
XStroX
Registered Member

Just about finished with the trim!!! Just need to put a nice piece around the top of the trim. I ordered cabinet doors and they should be here next week. I also ordered a 24x9x15 acrylic refugium kit which should also be here next week.

Next step will be to decide how to paint/stain this thing. My current thought is that stain will not look right seeing that I've used many different types of wood. Current plan is to do a distressed type look with one color of paint under a dark brown paint. I'll then sand the brown away on edges/corners to reveal the color underneath. Thinking maybe gold but no idea how that will look. Or i could just go with the bare wood underneath but not sure how the light wood will look.

Any ideas? I've never distressed something.

DSC05818.jpg

DSC05821.jpg

DSC05822.jpg

DSC05823.jpg

DSC05825.jpg

Unread 07/03/2013, 09:34 PM   #10
RJS8540
Registered Member

Looking very nice. Will you be staining this or paint?

Unread 07/11/2013, 04:09 PM   #11
XStroX
Registered Member

Decided on stain. Going with Kona colored Rust-Oleum. Hopefully going to start that Saturday or Sunday. The trim is now done. I will post updated pictures of everything before staining. The doors also arrived and look great.

I do have a more important question though. I just received 4 1" bulkheads from glass-holes.com and I am certainly nervous that these are all that is going to prevent a leak under my tank. Are standard bulkheads okay or should I be nervous I didn't spend $15-$20 a pop for SCH 80 bulkheads?

Also, can I place them as close as the flange will allow? I'd like to place them as shown in the below picture. This is going through acrylic...

The good news in my mind is that even if a leak forms, my refugium will be directly under the bulkheads and therefore the refugium should catch any leak hopefully giving me time to find it.

Bulkheads.jpg

Unread 07/11/2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Meldrath
Registered Member

Looking really nice!

Meldrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2013, 07:10 PM   #13
XStroX
Registered Member

I've been thinking about getting an Ocean Runner 3500 for the return pump. Max flow rate is 925 gal/hour but at the 6-7 feet head it will need to fight against in my tank this lowers to 500-550 gph.

Is this enough if i don't mind getting some sort of powerhead in the tank as well? Or should I be looking for something bigger?

Unread 07/13/2013, 09:59 PM   #14
XStroX
Registered Member

Added the top trim piece and my cabinet doors were delivered!

Today I finished the stain. Haven't decided if I'm going to sand a bit and give it a more distressed look or leave it be.

Either way, I have plenty of coats of polyurethane in my future.

IMAG0652.jpg

IMAG0654.jpg

Just realize the picture quality (tried taking these from my phone) isn't the greatest. I'll post real camera pictures tomorrow. Hopefully won't be so blurry.

Unread 07/14/2013, 03:49 PM   #15
XStroX
Registered Member

Added 2 more pictures that should be a bit better quality.

Stand.jpg

Top.jpg

Unread 07/14/2013, 04:10 PM   #16
RJS8540
Registered Member

Looking good, keep the photos coming.

Unread 07/15/2013, 04:31 PM   #17
XStroX
Registered Member

Thank you for the compliments! I'll certainly keep the pictures coming. I have a long ways to go before I even get to think about fish sadly.

My sump/refugium kit should be arriving in the next day or two. I just ordered an Ocean Runner 4000 return pump.

I think I'm going to sand/distress the stand around the corners a bit in the next day or two. Then I'll need to put 2 or 3 coats of polyurethane down to protect everything. I'm not looking forward to that but will hopefully have it done by the end of the weekend.

I am also heading to Lowes in the next few days to get the PVC piping I need for the plumbing, some rubber padding for between the stand and ground and for between the aquarium and stand and a plastic tube I can use as a siphon to drain the aquarium. Once I have the plastic tube, I'm going to do a quick weight test and fill the aquarium with water on the stand while in the garage. Just a quick sanity check!!

My hole saw should be arriving soon to drill the aquarium as well.

Starting to get exciting!

Unread 07/19/2013, 09:20 PM   #18
XStroX
Registered Member

I just posted the below in the BeanAnimal drainage thread. Now that I have figured out how to post pictures, I may go back and repost the above photos so they show up without clicking the link. The clear coat on my stand is coming along nicely. I should have pictures of the weight test Sunday and finished stand pictures shortly after.

I am working on a custom build and trying to go buy the necessary plumbing tomorrow. Can someone take a look at the pictures I have attached and answer a few of my questions? It would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time getting into the aquarium hobby. There are not near as many posts about using BeanAnimal setup with an internal overflow and risers coming up from bottom of tank.

1. For the return. Should I stick with standard PVC or would it make more sense to go with flexible PVC?

2. For top of vertical risers, I only have 2 elbows at top of main and open channel. For open channel I will drill a small hole and glue in air tube. Is this sufficient? Trying to avoid plumbing not needed.

3. Are my distances from top of tank and overflow top and distances below sump water level okay?

4. Am I okay gluing everything possible? Right now I only will have threads at Return pump. I only am going to buy a single ball valve for main line. I figure if I need to do anything else with the others, I can lower water level and turn off pump so the area behind internal overflow is dry.

5. I have left top of emergency drain as just the vertical riser, no elbow. Is this okay?

Thanks!

photo Plumbing1_zpsf0297b31.jpg

photo Plumbing2_zps2e025961.jpg

Unread 07/21/2013, 01:50 PM   #19
XStroX
Registered Member

Lots done this weekend!!!

Here is a weight test on the stand. I filled it with water and then added 100 pounds on top of that. Sturdy as a rock!

photo WeightTest_zps50c98f50.jpg

And here are pictures of the refugium I am building from a kit. No clue how this is going to turn out,

photo RefugiumBuild_zpscba6e9fe.jpg

photo RefugiumBuild2_zpsd90c4864.jpg

The stand is now complete as well and in the house but I don't want to post too many good pictures the same day! I'll post pictures of the finished stand with doors tomorrow.

Unread 07/21/2013, 11:55 PM   #20
Sn8kbyt
Registered Member

Looking great!!

As far as plumbing I would go with solid versus flexible. It looks cleaner and is more durable. I know many people use flexible without issue but I worry about turning valves and putting strain on hoses versus a solid plumbed system for longevity.

Keep the pics coming I will be following this thread!

One quick question though..the stand looks to small to get the refugium into through the available openings? Maybe it was just the photo's....

Sn8kbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2013, 04:08 PM   #21
XStroX
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments Sn8kbyt. I bought all solid PVC over the weekend so we agree in that regard!

The refugium is 9" wide and 15" tall and 24" deep. The front and back door openings are 9.25" with door and hinges attached and the stand is 24.25" deep. So it should just barely fit. One thing I'm worried about is whether I'll be able to get the skimmer in after the fact or if the shelf may get in the way. The refugium is just about done (if it holds water) and I'll post a picture of it inside in the next few days. The shelf is 23.5" tall so that gives me 8.5" of clearance above.

I was going to actually drill the tank tonight but I think I may take 1 day off after 3 days straight of working on everything.

However, I'll give two pictures of the final stand in the meantime!!

photo StandinRoomZoomOut_zpsd715704a.jpg

photo StandinRoomCloseUp_zps2a3c8980.jpg

Unread 07/23/2013, 06:00 AM   #22
nemosworld
Registered Member

This is a very nice build, great work on that stand!

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Cube
nemosworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2013, 01:28 PM   #23
XStroX
Registered Member

Thanks Nemo!

I'll try and upload a picture with the tank on top tonight. I'm also hoping to drill the holes in the bottom of the tank tonight as well which has me very nervous!

Unread 07/23/2013, 07:41 PM   #24
XStroX
Registered Member

Crappy picture quality but wanted to show the tank on the new stand.

I tested out the refugium for leaks as well and no exterior leaks but one of the baffles has a leak. I'll fix it up in the next few days.

Also I hit a snag with my BeanAnimal setup but I posted in the BeanAnimal thread to hopefully get some ideas there. I think I have an idea that will take care of my concerns though.

photo.jpg

Unread 07/29/2013, 07:25 PM   #25
XStroX
Registered Member

Tested the final refugium:

photo IMG_1159small_zps6100f762.jpg

Let the water sit for half an hour. No leaks detected. I sure hope that is all I needed to do as I'm a bit nervous having built this myself.

Should have the dry plumbing done by the weekend. I'm going to have lots of questions though. Trying to squeeze a BeanAnimal drainage system into a tank with Euro style bracing is not the greatest idea I'm now realizing.