Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Zeovit USA
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/16/2013, 11:12 PM   #1
dunk373
Registered Member

Pohls xtra or xtra special

I have been adding pohls xtra to my tank many sps and a few Lps. I noticed my Lps have become pale. I have Candycanes that have a green center and have a dark outside with prominent white lines. Now the outside is almost white, but still great pe at night. My nutrients are low nitrate is unreadable and po4 is .01-.05. I am wondering if the xtra special is a better choice for me? I have been reading that the xtra lightens corals and the special darkens them is this true? Thanks for the help. Oh and all the other products seem to do as advertised. I have many of them and my tank is very low on iron so I've been adding the iron for 4 days. What can I expect from the addition of iron? And why could I be so low? I use a scrubber and harvest algae weekly also use instant ocean salt and 2 part.

Current Tank Info: 150g display piped to sps frag tanks in the basement
dunk373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2013, 11:32 PM   #2
ejocam
CORAL WHOLESALER

Pohls Xtra is food for corals that are already light in color. The special is supposed to be stronger. I would minimize the dosing and watch for the reaction in the corals.

Iron will help with Soft Corals and also aid in the Green/Yellow Colored SPS colors. Iron, like most other elements are exported through filtration and also utilized by organisms in the tank. Your salt mix could be really low in Iron therefore the lack of it in your system.

ejocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2013, 08:37 AM   #3
dunk373
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply I will post a pic of the Candycanes as soon as I can. What could cause the loss of color to these? They started with color after adding product they were extending sweepers and after continued use they turned almost white. The products I am using are pohls xtra, coral booster, k balance, b balance, pot. Iodide fluoride, and iron. I have been adding for about two weeks. And less then the Recommended dose.

Old 06/17/2013, 08:59 AM   #4
ejocam
CORAL WHOLESALER

How many gallons is your tank?
How many days of each additive are you using?
How much of each additive are you dosing per day?

Old 06/17/2013, 09:20 AM   #5
dunk373
Registered Member

Tank is total 300 gallons. I started dosing the amounts on bottle but just set a schedule like this.
Iron 1 drop/100g a day
Potassium iodide fluoride 1 drop/100g a day
B balance 1 ml/100g every tues/sat
Coral booster 1ml/25g every 3 days
K balance 1ml/100g every tues/sat
Pohls xtra 1ml/50g every 4 days

Old 06/17/2013, 04:42 PM   #6
dunk373
Registered Member

before

after

Old 06/19/2013, 06:45 PM   #7
dunk373
Registered Member

any advice?

Old 06/25/2013, 12:20 PM   #8
dunk373
Registered Member

Am i dosing the right amounts? Is it due to the xtra? Any suggestions?

Old 06/25/2013, 11:19 PM   #9
ejocam
CORAL WHOLESALER

I would recommend that you stop the B-Balance & Iron dosing for 2-3 weeks or until you see any changes for the better.

Potassium Iodide can be dosed 1 drop per 25g every other day. If you are using Lugols Solution, then you can stop dosing PI for that day.

K-balance can be cut to once a week.

What are you using for Nutrient Export?

How often do you feed?

How often do you do water changes and how much?

Old 06/26/2013, 07:27 AM   #10
dunk373
Registered Member

I feed corals every night. Wc once a month 20%. Nutrient export is skimmer, algae scrubber, Gfo, denitrate, and carbon. I took denitrate offline 2 days ago and thinking about stopping carbon and maybe Gfo. I think nutrients are too low. While that pic shows loss of color it is Lps. My sps look better and 90% of my corals are sps.

Old 07/04/2013, 01:17 PM   #11
ejocam
CORAL WHOLESALER

So how are them corals looking today? Interested to know since you have slowed down on the nutrient export.

Old 07/04/2013, 01:26 PM   #12
dunk373
Registered Member

Thanks still looking the same. I have been adding a lot of tech m. Battling byropsis. I stopped all additives yesterday and did a wc. I took off scrubber, carbon, and denitrate so hope it's better

Old 07/04/2013, 01:38 PM   #13
ejocam
CORAL WHOLESALER

The bryopsis can be defeated, but will take some dilligence. Cut down on light duration. Manual removal. Natural removal, Tangs, Blennies, Rabbit Fish, Urchins, Blue Leg Hermits, Sea Hare, Red Band Trochus and Turbo Snails. All this will continuous cleaning of filtration equipment.

Good luck!

Current Tank Info: 5600 S.F. :)