Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 04/27/2017, 11:26 AM   #4326
karimwassef
Registered Member
 
karimwassef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,841
Cyano and dinos have different causes and different fixes.

My conclusion is that dinos are in every system but are kept under control by the algae that normally occupy that part of the food chain and N, P cycles. When all things are in balance, algae take up excess N and P and dinos can't take over.

Overzealous reef keepers who remove all algae by eliminating either N or P (chemicals, C dosing) create an environment without limits to dinos. Once they take hold, dinos alter the chemistry to keep algae out.

The fix is to decimate their population and reestabliah safe zones for algae to thrive and rebalance the system. This sometimes includes adding N and P back to allow normal algae growth.


__________________
Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2017, 11:42 AM   #4327
Starvin Marvin
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkuranel View Post
One should read 000 microsiemens but not even 001.
Root causes should be eleminated at first?

In most case people are going with TDS meter but around 005 - 006 microsiemens.

Ali,

Just to clarify, are you saying that a TDS meter should be giving results in microsiemens? I always thought it gave results in Total Dissolved Solids Parts Per Million.

Is it possible that a difference of 004 on a TDS meter will cause nuisance Algae issues?

By the time the RO comes out of my Tubing, it is approx 6 PPM TDS.

After it sits in the bucket for days, it usually is 8-11 PPM TDS.

Thank you for clarifying.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Starvin Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2017, 12:15 PM   #4328
africangrey
Registered Member
 
africangrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: N San Jose
Posts: 1,430
I think this will help you to be familiarized with mohms or microsiemen for ultra pure water, or water for injection. Not sure if we need this kind of purity.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
Ali,

Just to clarify, are you saying that a TDS meter should be giving results in microsiemens? I always thought it gave results in Total Dissolved Solids Parts Per Million.

Is it possible that a difference of 004 on a TDS meter will cause nuisance Algae issues?

By the time the RO comes out of my Tubing, it is approx 6 PPM TDS.

After it sits in the bucket for days, it usually is 8-11 PPM TDS.

Thank you for clarifying.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



africangrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2017, 03:29 PM   #4329
bertoni
RC Mod
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
Posts: 85,860
Water should come out of a RO/DI setup at 0 ppm TDS. Once carbon dioxide and other compounds start entering it, the TDS will rise. That's not important as long as the containers are food-grade and not contaminated.

A TDS above zero out of a RO/DI unit means that the DI is shot:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.htm

That article has more on what happens then.


__________________
Jonathan Bertoni
bertoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2017, 05:20 PM   #4330
taricha
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Miss
Posts: 535
Neat. 2 UV successes on less common species.
Hefner's = small cell amphidinium (like a. carterae) - UV won't work on common large cell amphidinium.
Trmiv's = Coolia


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


taricha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2017, 09:31 AM   #4331
arkuranel
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ankara Turkey
Posts: 14
Hello Steve,

Looking at the link of Randey Holmes:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.htm

We read this:

“Monitor the DI resins by measuring the effluent’s conductivity, either with an inline meter (set to its most sensitive level), or by measuring the effluent manually. If you are using a TDS or conductivity meter, then the measured value should drop to near zero, or maybe 0-1 ppm TDS or 0-1 mS/cm. Higher values indicate that something is not functioning properly, or that the DI resin is becoming saturated and needs replacement. That does not necessarily mean, however, that 2 ppm TDS water is not OK to use. But beware that the flow of impurities and the conductivity may begin to rise fairly sharply when the resin becomes saturated. Do not agonize over 1 ppm versus zero ppm. While pure water has a TDS well below 1 ppm, uncertainties from carbon dioxide in the air (which gets into the water and ionizes to provide some conductivity; about 0.7 mS/cm for saturation with normal levels of CO2, possibly higher indoors) and the conductivity/TDS meter itself may yield results of 1 or 2 ppm even from totally pure water by not being exactly zeroed properly. Also note that the first impurities to leave the DI resin as it becomes saturated may be things that you are particularly concerned with (such as ammonia if your water supply uses chloramine or silica if there is a lot in the source water).”

The difference –apart from what they are- with TDS Meter and Conductivity Meter is simple: The probe is the same for conductivity and salinity, but for salinity readings a correction factor is applied to the conductivity value. The correction factor takes the conductivity reading and converts it to ppm of NaCl (table salt). Salts, minerals, and even dissolved gases contribute uniformly to the conductivity of a solution. This means that the conductivity can be used as an indicator of the amount of dissolved materials in a solution. TDS can be used fairly accurately when determining the concentration of a single salt, such as NaCl, but error can arise when trying to compare two different types of solutions.

So, in short I would offer a conductivity meter and to read 000 micro Siemens.


Returning back to “cause” of cyane and dino blooms (yes, I know the differences..) I put sand bottom and rocks slowly and continuously leaking phosphate, I am wondering whether there is any method to get aware of this? Apart from limewater or water changes? May be this:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2582403

Meaning we might rinse sand and/or rock with such a product –like a cure for 20 days- and then with RO water and then put it to the tank?

Would you offer any product –at this moment- for this purpose Bertoni?


arkuranel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2017, 09:34 AM   #4332
arkuranel
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ankara Turkey
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkuranel View Post
Hello Starvin,

Looking at the link of Randey Holmes:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.htm

We read this:

“Monitor the DI resins by measuring the effluent’s conductivity, either with an inline meter (set to its most sensitive level), or by measuring the effluent manually. If you are using a TDS or conductivity meter, then the measured value should drop to near zero, or maybe 0-1 ppm TDS or 0-1 mS/cm. Higher values indicate that something is not functioning properly, or that the DI resin is becoming saturated and needs replacement. That does not necessarily mean, however, that 2 ppm TDS water is not OK to use. But beware that the flow of impurities and the conductivity may begin to rise fairly sharply when the resin becomes saturated. Do not agonize over 1 ppm versus zero ppm. While pure water has a TDS well below 1 ppm, uncertainties from carbon dioxide in the air (which gets into the water and ionizes to provide some conductivity; about 0.7 mS/cm for saturation with normal levels of CO2, possibly higher indoors) and the conductivity/TDS meter itself may yield results of 1 or 2 ppm even from totally pure water by not being exactly zeroed properly. Also note that the first impurities to leave the DI resin as it becomes saturated may be things that you are particularly concerned with (such as ammonia if your water supply uses chloramine or silica if there is a lot in the source water).”

The difference –apart from what they are- with TDS Meter and Conductivity Meter is simple: The probe is the same for conductivity and salinity, but for salinity readings a correction factor is applied to the conductivity value. The correction factor takes the conductivity reading and converts it to ppm of NaCl (table salt). Salts, minerals, and even dissolved gases contribute uniformly to the conductivity of a solution. This means that the conductivity can be used as an indicator of the amount of dissolved materials in a solution. TDS can be used fairly accurately when determining the concentration of a single salt, such as NaCl, but error can arise when trying to compare two different types of solutions.

So, in short I would offer a conductivity meter and to read 000 micro Siemens.


Returning back to “cause” of cyano and dino blooms (yes, I know the differences..) I put sand bottom and rocks slowly and continuously leaking phosphate, I am wondering whether there is any method to get aware of this? Apart from limewater or water changes? May be this:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2582403

Meaning we might rinse sand and/or rock with such a product –like a cure for 20 days- and then with RO water and then put it to the tank?

Would you offer any product –at this moment- for this purpose Bertoni?



arkuranel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2017, 09:49 AM   #4333
arkuranel
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ankara Turkey
Posts: 14
sorry for this duplicate. I couldn't edit or delete my messages. Wish post number 4331 would be deleted by modarators.


arkuranel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2017, 11:39 AM   #4334
karimwassef
Registered Member
 
karimwassef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,841
Reducing phosphates for cyano is ok, but for dinos it isn't. For dinos, you actually need phosphates.

My best solution to reduce N and P is an algae scrubber.


__________________
Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2017, 01:55 PM   #4335
Magik
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post

My conclusion is that dinos are in every system but are kept under control by the algae that normally occupy that part of the food chain and N, P cycles. When all things are in balance, algae take up excess N and P and dinos can't take over.

Overzealous reef keepers who remove all algae by eliminating either N or P (chemicals, C dosing) create an environment without limits to dinos. Once they take hold, dinos alter the chemistry to keep algae out.
Exactly my experience. Had dinos only once in my 7 years of reefing, soon after I started to dose vodka to keep my water "cleaner"


Magik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2017, 10:30 AM   #4336
nvladik
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 363


Help ID for a friend please


nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2017, 01:37 PM   #4337
taricha
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Miss
Posts: 535
Ostreopsis sesame seeds


taricha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2017, 01:40 PM   #4338
nvladik
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
Ostreopsis sesame seeds


Thanks, that's what I thought also.


nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2017, 11:17 PM   #4339
Crackem
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Aventura
Posts: 897
http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/cr...dfdzv.mp4.html


Hopefully this link works. It's a video. I'm hoping it's not Dino's.


__________________
120 gallon 48x24x24 controlled by Neptune Apex and 4 Tunze 6105's, Bubbleking Double Cone 180, 48" ATI 8 Bulb dimmable, 2 x 48" XHO Blue Reefbrites, 2x Neptune DOS, 40 Breeder Sump...
Crackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2017, 06:44 AM   #4340
nvladik
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackem View Post
http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/cr...dfdzv.mp4.html


Hopefully this link works. It's a video. I'm hoping it's not Dino's.
Can't pull up the video...


nvladik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2017, 07:14 AM   #4341
Hefner413
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: WV
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackem View Post
http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/cr...dfdzv.mp4.html


Hopefully this link works. It's a video. I'm hoping it's not Dino's.

Video works fine for me. Could be cyano or dinos or both. You can tell better with a microscope or by doing some of the tests gone over previously in the thread (I'm not as familiar with these because I just used my child's toy microscope).


Hefner413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2017, 11:33 AM   #4342
taricha
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Miss
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefner413 View Post
Could be cyano or dinos or both. You can tell better with a microscope or by doing some of the tests gone over previously in the thread
Yeah. Microscope. If not, at least search for paper towel dino test.
I see a bunch of snails in the vid. Are they alive? If they are dead/dying, definitely dinos.
If the snails are healthy, then you'll have to do other tests.



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk


taricha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2017, 12:36 PM   #4343
Crackem
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Aventura
Posts: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
Yeah. Microscope. If not, at least search for paper towel dino test.
I see a bunch of snails in the vid. Are they alive? If they are dead/dying, definitely dinos.
If the snails are healthy, then you'll have to do other tests.



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
A lot of snails are dead, but I think it's mainly cause they fell over and couldn't turn back over. There are definitely a lot of snails that are alive.


__________________
120 gallon 48x24x24 controlled by Neptune Apex and 4 Tunze 6105's, Bubbleking Double Cone 180, 48" ATI 8 Bulb dimmable, 2 x 48" XHO Blue Reefbrites, 2x Neptune DOS, 40 Breeder Sump...
Crackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2017, 11:01 PM   #4344
bheron
Registered Member
 
bheron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Cyano and dinos have different causes and different fixes.

My conclusion is that dinos are in every system but are kept under control by the algae that normally occupy that part of the food chain and N, P cycles. When all things are in balance, algae take up excess N and P and dinos can't take over.

Overzealous reef keepers who remove all algae by eliminating either N or P (chemicals, C dosing) create an environment without limits to dinos. Once they take hold, dinos alter the chemistry to keep algae out.

The fix is to decimate their population and reestabliah safe zones for algae to thrive and rebalance the system. This sometimes includes adding N and P back to allow normal algae growth.

Thanks great comments! I completely agree however I'm still battling them. I rid them in the past by going "dirty" and basically overfed for weeks. Then started a huge GHA problem. Then installed a ATS. Tank got clean and now dinos back. I just confirmed I have the Amphidinium sp type.

So two questions based on your comments:

1) besides overfeeding how can I raise P04?

2) do I still run my ATS? Seems like a bit counterproductive?


__________________
Bryan

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/07/2017, 11:14 PM   #4345
karimwassef
Registered Member
 
karimwassef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,841
wait.. you have a functioning scrubber and dinos? Are you sure?

dinos will generally kill a scrubber. Can you share some pics?


__________________
Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2017, 09:56 AM   #4346
jason2459
Registered Member

 
jason2459's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 9,650
IME, cyano and dinoflagellates go hand in hand and have had the same cause and fix in my system.

I've also had a thriving ATS and have had cyano and dino blooms at the same time.

I would not try and pin one thing to a species as diverse as dinoflagellates.


__________________
rebuild and recovery log:
No more red house, you'll have to click on my name and visit my homepage!

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2017, 02:29 PM   #4347
bheron
Registered Member
 
bheron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
wait.. you have a functioning scrubber and dinos? Are you sure?

dinos will generally kill a scrubber. Can you share some pics?
Here's a pic of my ATS. Not a great pic. The yellow in the middle is a result of their too much flow or too much light I believe.

So I have stump remover to raise NO3 but what should I use to raise PO4? My nitrates are usually at 5PPM so they're in check. but PO4 is always undetectable with a hanna low range checker.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATS.jpg (54.1 KB, 39 views)
__________________
Bryan

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2017, 02:47 PM   #4348
karimwassef
Registered Member
 
karimwassef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,841
ATS pulls on both N and P. If you're limited on one of them, you'll have less growth.

My readings for both N and P are usually very close to zero with my setup. That just means that my feeding is less than or in balance with the uptake in my system as a whole.

I'm not sure how to add just P.

I terms of cyano and dinos teaming up. They are linked but only one way. Dinos can create opportunities for a cyano "alliance" . But cyano doesn't always imply dinos are present or are coming - in my system at least.


__________________
Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2017, 08:54 AM   #4349
taricha
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Miss
Posts: 535
Bheron, are you dosing anything other than ca,alk, stump remover?
I've come to conclusion that overfeeding is a really bad way to elevate nutrients when fighting dinos. I'll post links later, but basically macroalgae processes simple forms of N better than complicated ones (duh). But weirdly dinos uptake complicated forms of N (aminos) better than simple ones.
Stump remover is "better" than extra fish food.

Seachem flourish phosphorus is straight p and a (teensy bit of k).
For the more reckless, high p miracle grow liquid fertilizer is something I've used to raise p. At the levels we're talking about (
<.10ppm phosphate) the other things in there are vanishingly small. And if I'm running healthy algae in my system, I'm not worried about accumulation of weird trace metal stuff.

Cyano: From what I've seen ostis are not closely associated with cyano. amphidinium frequently follows cyano and happily colonizes a cyano mat, sometimes turning it brown to the eye.
Jason's dinos showed up on the sand and seemed hand in hand with cyano much like amphidinium in other systems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk


taricha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2017, 12:41 PM   #4350
bheron
Registered Member
 
bheron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
Bheron, are you dosing anything other than ca,alk, stump remover?
I've come to conclusion that overfeeding is a really bad way to elevate nutrients when fighting dinos. I'll post links later, but basically macroalgae processes simple forms of N better than complicated ones (duh). But weirdly dinos uptake complicated forms of N (aminos) better than simple ones.
Stump remover is "better" than extra fish food.

Seachem flourish phosphorus is straight p and a (teensy bit of k).
For the more reckless, high p miracle grow liquid fertilizer is something I've used to raise p. At the levels we're talking about (
<.10ppm phosphate) the other things in there are vanishingly small. And if I'm running healthy algae in my system, I'm not worried about accumulation of weird trace metal stuff.

Cyano: From what I've seen ostis are not closely associated with cyano. amphidinium frequently follows cyano and happily colonizes a cyano mat, sometimes turning it brown to the eye.
Jason's dinos showed up on the sand and seemed hand in hand with cyano much like amphidinium in other systems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Thanks Taricha, great stuff. I was hoping to find a better way of dosing P and heard about the Seachem Flourish product. I'm thinking this is the route for my specific Dinos since the overfeeding seemed to control them before. I'm going to give this a try, along with stump remover, to keep N and P at optimum levels. N between 5 and 10 PPM and P you say between 0 and 0.1 PPM?

Also interestingly the scenario you outlined sounds like what happened to me - "amphidinium frequently follows cyano and happily colonizes a cyano mat, sometimes turning it brown to the eye....showed up on the sand and seemed hand in hand with cyano..."

Finally, you said "I'm running healthy algae". Can you expand on what you mean by that? I'm in the process of adding more space to my system, specifically for refugium purposes. Planning to stock it with the right microfauna, phytoplankton, zooplankton (still learning here).


__________________
Bryan

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014