Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02/07/2018, 05:36 PM   #4451
cscultho
Registered Member

If i were a betting man....and i am....the dinos will be back. Especially if you have a sand bed. Dinos have a way of forming a protective barrier and hiding to wait out the bad times (chemicals) and come out a visit when the time is right.

Ive had the dinos receed for several months after chemical treatments and then out of nowhere the dinos blow up once the N & P levels bottom out.

If you beat it with dino x....thats great and your the first person ive met who beat dinos with this product.

cscultho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2018, 06:09 PM   #4452
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscultho View Post
If those are indeed Dino's which they appear to be -- it is a long tough battle. No chemicals on the market will treat it. Chemicals only make the situation worse causing so many other issues throwing the eco system out of balance. The only treatment that seems to make a dent is elevating N03 & P04 levels along with pulling out your sand bed. A UV works depending on which strain of dino you have.

If your N & P levels are zero i would start by boosting up those levels. Avoid chemicals if at all possible. Just my $0.02

Imo, thatís absolutly true except i kept my sandbed.

Added O3 2 hrs a night

Started feeding a LOT MORE

Exported tons of those buggers siphoning those little buggers into the dino trap in my video above

Gone in about 2 weeks.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 135 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 250W X2 20k radiums mixed SPS
five.five-six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2018, 06:10 PM   #4453
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscultho View Post
If i were a betting man....and i am....the dinos will be back. Especially if you have a sand bed. Dinos have a way of forming a protective barrier and hiding to wait out the bad times (chemicals) and come out a visit when the time is right.

Ive had the dinos receed for several months after chemical treatments and then out of nowhere the dinos blow up once the N & P levels bottom out.

If you beat it with dino x....thats great and your the first person ive met who beat dinos with this product.

DinoX seems to be hit n miss depending on strain.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 135 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 250W X2 20k radiums mixed SPS
five.five-six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #4454
Maticed
Registered Member

Guys I need some advise; I'm thinking about adding more cuc like some snails. I have a lot of denitrus buil-up every couple of days on my rocks that I think maybe adding fuel for the dino"s. But after fighting almost a year with dino's my water has seen dinoX, phycoEx, dinoxal, H2O2 and I didn't do a water change for months, I'm afraid this wil fuel more dino's. Has my water become dangerous to snails or other micro-fauna? I have GFO bags in the water for a couple of weeks now, does this remove al the toxins from the dino's and dino-treatments? Thanks for the help!

Maticed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM   #4455
bertoni
RC Mod

GFO will remove phosphate and silicate, but it won't remove much in the way of organics. Some fresh carbon will help remove organics. You might need several batches, if there's a lot of organic content in the water. Unfortunately, we have no practical way to measure that parameter.

When you say "detritus" do you mean leftover food and the like, or some sort of microbial growth?

I'd probably do a few water changes, although they might fuel a bit of growth, to keep the ionic balance in line.

Old Today, 10:25 PM   #4456
rjjr1963
Registered Member

I believe I have ostreopsis dinos. They are primarily on the sand bed but I've lost two acropora. I started running carbon and vacuumed the sand every night. Po3 was 10 and Po4 was .1 They kept coming back every day for about a week. I bought a UV Sterilizer and it had an immediate impact. It didn't get rid of the problem but slowed it down so I only have to siphon about every third day. Not sure where to go from here but I might try adjusting the flow rate on the UV sterilizer then give it some time to see where the tank goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o2alraNmsY

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is online now   Reply With Quote