Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/01/2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Baldguy
Registered Member

Hydrogen Peroxide Dip for Algae?

I and others have used a 1:3 hydrogen peroxide dip to knock out hair algae on zoa frags. Will this work on SPS frags? Dip the whole plug and coral?

Baldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2013, 09:08 PM   #2
NeverlosT
Registered Member

I only do it on SPS frags, in my experience with Zoa frags if they get any in them it is bad news for the Zoa.

With SPS I dip the whole plug and coral and I use 50/50

NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Dexters Reef
Registered Member

Be careful...if I get 1 drop of straight h202 on a sps, that area browns and gets extremely stressed and takes weeks to heal (going through that now with a ora turquoise stag)

Old 07/02/2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Baldguy
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I never had any problem dipping zoas, good to know it's safe for SPS also.

Baldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

I've only had problems dipping SPS.. I would be cautious if you are going to do it.. I never dip the coral(except zoas) I use a syringe and cover the plug with straight peroxide and let it sit for a few minutes.. I lost a few acros a while ago dipping the whole coral and will never do it again.. Ricordia are sensitive to it also IME.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).
Dapg8gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/02/2013, 10:52 PM   #6
AdamDeMamp
Registered Member

I've been using the peroxide mix for algae control. Sps do get pale and bleached looking with it, but recovers. I've never lost a coral directly caused by peroxide. It kills bubble algae like a pro. If you're getting hair algae on the sps coral itself, just cut that part off and let it grow back out. It works for me. I hate algae. Make your tank look like poop IMO.

AdamDeMamp is offline   Reply With Quote