Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Pdxile
Registered Member

Super-fancy RODI unit, worth it?

I am buying a house with a well and low water pressure, so I need to buy a booster pump. I also want an inline TDS meter. Instead of kluging my basic RODI together with these extras, I decided I'd rather have a neat, clean easy to organize unit with the bells and whistles built in.
I'm selling the basic (water general rd-150) and looking at this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271144534134...84.m1423.l2649
The price is ridiculous, but as they say the cheap comes out expensive.
Does anyone have this unit, or have a suggestion of something similar?
Peace,
H

Pdxile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 01:09 AM   #2
Sonyardo
Registered Member

look at the 5 and 6 stage units at the filter guys.
http://thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

Sonyardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 01:44 AM   #3
Pdxile
Registered Member

They look good, but none of them (unless I missed it) has an integrated booster pump. That is #1 on my wish list.

Right now I'm running a water general rd-150 getting 0-1 TDS. I'm quite satisfied with production and quality but spending $100 to modify a 2 year old unit that will soon need a replacement membrane sounds like throwing good money after bad.

Unread 07/15/2013, 06:31 AM   #4
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Here's another alternative. Just as expensive, but with the integrated look you're after:

http://www.aquaticlife.com/products/357

Depending on how clean your well water is (with respect to particulates), you may need more than one prefilter. Or you can put a "jumbo" 2-cylinder combo on your whole house to keep the particulates out of your plumbing.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 06:39 AM   #5
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Look on the Spectra-Pure website. They come with pressure pumps and are one of the best units made.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 06:40 AM   #6
thegrun
Registered Member

The aquatic life unit is great, I have two friends who use them. I personally prefer separate component so if your booster pump went out you can still make water.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 06:45 AM   #7
Dapg8gt
Registered Member

I totally agree at that price point why not go spectrapure.. I too had the water general and it was a great unit.. I since have got the maxcap by spectrapure and I am happier with the build quality and overall use of it.. It's a little more for replacement cartridges(pre) but is made by one of the leaders in water technology and is a quality unit suited to do what it's intended.. I personally would go for the tried and true spectrapure unit w/booster pump FWIW plus the spectrapure has 1 more stage of filtration and less things to break in the future..

280g radium lit sps flat living in my garage rent free.

Current Tank Info: 105g SPS dominant euro braced powered by 4 ecotech pumps and lit by an ATI powermodule controlled by a reef angel =).
Dapg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Sonyardo
Registered Member

I would go with separate components as well. You don't wanna get caught up in a situation where you can't get parts. I would also consider modifying the water well to solve the water pressure issue and skip the booster pump altogether.

Sonyardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 08:00 AM   #9
blue736
Registered Member

Ya get you a booster pump, tds meter,new membrane, & new filters. Be cheaper than a new unit (and less work too).

blue736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 09:00 AM   #10
ggsteve
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyardo View Post
I would go with separate components as well. You don't wanna get caught up in a situation where you can't get parts. I would also consider modifying the water well to solve the water pressure issue and skip the booster pump altogether.
When I installed my BRS unit I thought I was going to have to get a booster pump. Instead I increased the pressure on the pressure switch of my well by about 10 psi. Not only did that improve the efficiency of the RODI unit, the increased water pressure is great in the shower!

ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 09:18 AM   #11
SaltwaterSensei
Premium Member

What about the BRS setups? what are your guys thoughts and reviews on their units? They're very competitively priced and you can even hame them build you something custom, however I'm not 100% positive if they still do that you'd have to ask them.

Current Tank Info: Waiting for a 48x36x28 rimless to arrive
SaltwaterSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 09:35 AM   #12
ggsteve
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSensei View Post
What about the BRS setups? what are your guys thoughts and reviews on their units? They're very competitively priced and you can even hame them build you something custom, however I'm not 100% positive if they still do that you'd have to ask them.
Mine is great. It came with connections for all manner of installation, good build quality and good customer service. Get the "Plus" version, you will want/need the TDS meter, flush kit and pressure gauge.

ggsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 09:57 AM   #13
nemosworld
Registered Member

if you want a unit with bells and whistles, vertex has the best I have seen.
http://www.vertexaquaristik.com/Prod...S/Default.aspx

LFS and buddy of mine has one, this thing produces 200gpd.

great quality build and the computer works.

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Cube
nemosworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Thunder32
Registered Member

Filter

I love my BRS water filter, I have the 5 stage unit. The guy's there are always helpful when you need advice, they have all the replacement elements on hand for fast shipping. You can't go wrong. I've had my filter for well over 5 years now and it still rocks, giving me the greatest water.

Thunder32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 10:42 AM   #15
Pdxile
Registered Member

Thanks everyone! I've got a lot more research to do, for sure. One thing that I am sad about is not being able to increase water pressure at the well. It's a $2500 repair! Ouch!

Unread 07/15/2013, 10:48 AM   #16
S14Swap240sx
Registered Member

Spectrapure!

after all the research, it offers 5 stages, backed by a company that only does water filters and pumps. cant ask for much more.

thatfishplace has it on sale pretty cheap right now, maxcap 90.. saw it on their advertisement above this morning

http://www.thatpetplace.com/spectrap...-system-90-gpd

S14Swap240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 11:02 AM   #17
Palting
Registered Member

I have the BRS 5 stage Deluxe. I am quite happy with it, and recommend it. It has all you would need except for the booster pump. This unit, http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-...tem-75gpd.html , plus this pump, http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-4-aq...-pump-kit.html, will cost $344.98. If you like to spend money, you can customize the unit to add more TDS meters or switch to glycerin filled pressure gauges, etc.

One company that has been actively answering questions in this forum is BFS. Very helpful for newbies and RODI questions, including excellent answers to some puzzling things I had, so I also recommend them. Their unit, http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/sh...ry=168&Sub=166 , plus their pump, http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/sh...ry=503&Sub=151 , will cost $317.99. I'm sure they will be happy to take your money as well if you want to customize and add more bells and whistles .

My first RODI was AquaticLife brand. Not happy with it at all, would not recommend it. Design looks good, but build quality is poor.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 12:07 PM   #18
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Being on a private well myself I would recommend having your water tested first and then go with a reputable company. I personally recommend Spectrapure but there are others. Well water varies greatly and if you have water with particular filtering needs its better to find out before purchasing a unit.

Unread 07/15/2013, 12:15 PM   #19
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyardo View Post
look at the 5 and 6 stage units at the filter guys.
http://thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm
+1
Been using mine for years with no problems and their customer service is fantastic.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2013, 01:03 PM   #20
Fizz71
FragSwapper

I used this one for years:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pure-flo...tfc-3-canister

..I'm not sure if they changed the design but on mine it flushed automatically. Every time the unit turned on it flushed the membrane for a about 10 seconds...I forget if it did it after too. It was a nice feature. No DI on those though, but you can get one of those from BRS and other places.

I eventually moved and didn't need the pump so I used it without for a while. It also had some leaking issues (after 5 or 6 years) but it was in my basement so I didn't care to figure out why.

Current Tank Info: Current system is 8x2x2 240g peninsula setup with a single "chamber" 100g sump in the basement with an RDSB. All corals are 100% home grown from frags of fellow reefers (low natural reef impact).
Fizz71 is offline   Reply With Quote