Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/27/2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Railcar79
Moved On

Re: Nevernevernevernever----never!

Mind if I ask why no Culpera? I like the pieces I have in my sump. I don't think there is any such thing as bad macro

Railcar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 07:58 AM   #2
meisel1
Registered Member

Caulerpa can spread quite easily to your display tank and take over VERY quickly.

Unread 07/27/2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Reefmedic79
Life and Reef Saver

Ditto

How much deeper would the ocean be if it didn't have sponges?
P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sid

Current Tank Info: 40 Breeder, 20L Sump, 10G Fuge, JBJ A.T.O, 4" Reef Octopus, DIY Stand & Canopy, RapidLED Dimmable 36 Kit on 3 6" MakersLED Heatsink, MP10es
Reefmedic79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Railcar79
Moved On

I guess I will just have to buck the trend still. I like culpera much more than chaeto.

Unread 07/27/2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcar79 View Post
I guess I will just have to buck the trend still. I like culpera much more than chaeto.
What you don't understand is the invasiveness of Caulerpa. Yes, Caulerpa looks nice, but once you have an infestation in your display tank, it can be as hard to get rid of as Aiptasia, and just as problematic for corals (it has rhyzomes that will grow through coral flesh and its growth will both hide and shade corals).

Good luck with your decision.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 09:14 AM   #6
thegrun
Registered Member

And since it spreads in the wild overgrowing natural vegetation it is banned in some states.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Railcar79
Moved On

I suppose you are right, after keeping it from 1984-1998, I wouldn't understand...

Unread 07/27/2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
I suppose you are right, after keeping it from 1984-1998, I wouldn't understand...
If you already "knew" the answer, then why ask?

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Unread 07/27/2013, 10:33 AM   #9
dc
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
If you already "knew" the answer, then why ask?

Kevin
I'm curious as well.

Why? Because I said so of course.

-Sent via Tapatalk Smoke Signals-
dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Railcar79
Moved On

I asked cause I have never had issues with it taking over, it can be a beautiful addition to an aquarium, and telling people outright to avoid it like the plague seems downright insane.

Unread 07/27/2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
So, by neglecting this information in your first post, you were just looking for a fight?

Kevin

Unread 07/27/2013, 10:45 AM   #12
dc
Moderator Emeritus

And you rebuffed the advice. If you ask a question, you need to start with an open mind.

I had prolifera in my anemone tank several years ago and it was everywhere by the time I tore my tank down. It was actually in the tank first. I thought about putting some in my present anemone tank but decided against it for the same reason.

If it's working for you great, but it can be a pain any way you look at it. I had razor go sexual in my reef tank and that was a mess all the way around. I switched to chaeto, not as pretty granted, but safer for me.

Why? Because I said so of course.

-Sent via Tapatalk Smoke Signals-
dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 12:03 PM   #13
crsswift70
Registered Member

Yeah, odd way of posting. But for others that read this thread i'll throw in my 2 cents. I had some grape caulerpa in my refugium once. A piece managed to get in to my main which quickly found a nice place to take root and grow. It never went wild as i manually pulled it out, but it did spread to other spots in the tank. So, what was a small patch, turned in to 5 or 6 small patches, then to 10. It breaks easily and the "roots" stay attached to the rock to spring up again. I went on vacation for a week and came back to a tank over run with the stuff. I had to pull out all my rock and scrub it. What a pain. Never again. There are enough nice looking macros out there that do a good job at export for me to add one that may or may not be a nuisance. I've never heard anyone say chaeto, ulva, or gracilaria took over their tank. On the other hand, i do know someone that has a refugium absolutely packed with it that is connected to a pristine tank full of tangs. He has no issues with it apparently. So, I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying I'm not going to be the one doing it due to past experience.

Last edited by crsswift70; 07/27/2013 at 12:08 PM.
crsswift70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 12:06 PM   #14
MadScientistWRX
Moved On

Quote:
Please elaborate.

Chaeto has been a valuable asset to my sump/main tank. I purchased a small ball and now it has multiplied by a good 6 times over. I now have a great pods population in my main tank.

Glad you are doing well with it non the less.

MadScientistWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2013, 12:29 PM   #15
Palting
Registered Member

While I don't disagree with keeping Caulerpa in your sump, that advice/opinion should ALWAYS come with additional info. Caulerpa is hardy and is indeed a fast grower, faster and hardier than chaeto. But, Caulerpa can and will overgrow your DT if it gets in there. Not too bad if it's a FOWLR, but can be catastrophic in a reef tank. The ONLY time I would advise keeping Caulerpa in the refugium is if you have a good number of herbivores in your DT. Tangs and angels are good aggressive herbivores. I keep Caulerpa in my remote refugium. I have 4 tangs and a coral beauty, and they decimate any algae in the DT.

This is a photo of my refugium. This is what will cover your rocks and kill your coral in the DT when caulerpa takes over. Do not use Caulerpa if you do not have aggressive herbivores in your DT.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote