Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

How long do new JBJ Chillers last?

Do aquarium chillers last more then two years or do they typically break after the warranty runs out? I bought a jbj 1/5 HP 1.5 Years ago and wonder if it's reliable enough to keep a few more years?

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2013, 11:38 PM   #2
reeftivo
Skim junkie

My arctics 1/10 has been running for 6 years. I just back flush it twice a year and clean the air filter. It's been running a little louder the last year, so maybe the compressor is getting tired. It's not too loud though. It's just something I've noticed for a while.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 01:15 AM   #3
JMN68
Registered Member

I have had my chiller for over eight years and it is still running strong. At the beginning of the year, I would back flush my chiller and clean out the coils.

JMN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 04:02 AM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I used my 1/10th hp JBJ for about 4 years and it's still working for the person I sold it to 4 years ago (so 8 years total). And it was way more quiet than a couple of other chillers I have owned. Now I have a 1hp AquaEuro hasn't missed a beat in 4 years and it sits outside on the north wall (shady) of the house in SW Florida! But the last 8 months it hasn't had to work very hard because I switched from MH to led. So it runs about 10%-20% as much as it did before (we keep our house at 80F over night and 84F in the afternoon, so the chiller does still have some work to do in the summertime).

Unread 08/09/2013, 07:31 AM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have had three chillers in my reefing career. Never was particularly diligent about maintaining them, kept them outside (though protected from rain) and ran them pretty hard - even so, got 6 years out of the first two, and sold the third after 4 years.

ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Mmiller40gt
arrogant reefer

I got a old drop it about 15 years old. Works like a champ. Actually froze my sump close to solid once.

Mmiller40gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 08:42 AM   #7
bowfront
10 & Over Club

I ran my 1/5 hp JBJ for 5 years with hardly any care other than clean the filter not very often. Never any problems.

bowfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 10:45 AM   #8
ReachTheSky
Registered Member

I ran my 1/4hp for 2-3 years and it ran like a champ. The guy I sold it to has been running it for nearly a year now. Still running strong.

Current tank: 7.5g Nano-Reef | Modified AquaClear50 | RapidLED Par38 bulb | 2x Koralia 240gph
ReachTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 10:53 AM   #9
h0bite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN68 View Post
I have had my chiller for over eight years and it is still running strong. At the beginning of the year, I would back flush my chiller and clean out the coils.
What do mean .....back flush my chiller ?
I think I never do that in 3 years....I just clean the air filter every week.
Thanks

h0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 11:38 AM   #10
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0bite View Post
What do mean .....back flush my chiller ?
I think I never do that in 3 years....I just clean the air filter every week.
Thanks
disconnecting the feed pump and put it on the outflow side. The lines build up sludge after a while which will effect the performance. If you put it on the outflow it will blow most of the sludge out the other end.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 03:09 PM   #11
JMN68
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftivo View Post
disconnecting the feed pump and put it on the outflow side. The lines build up sludge after a while which will effect the performance. If you put it on the outflow it will blow most of the sludge out the other end.
Yes, that is it. It is just preventive maintenance because I think most of us don't want to drop $500 to $600 on a replacement chiller.

JMN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 05:28 PM   #12
h0bite
Registered Member

Ok thanks!
So.I will try it tonight....I will plug the feeding pump in the outflow side...and all the scrap will go out by inflow plug.
That it that all ??
Thanks

h0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 06:24 PM   #13
Mmiller40gt
arrogant reefer

I pull my wife chiller an fill it with vinegar. The cold seems to cause calcium deposits.

Mmiller40gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium chillers, chiller, jbj chiller