Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Enjoy
That's what she said....

Red Dragon 1500 Pump not working.... Advice?

Hey guys - it's been awhile.

Well I went to check on the tank a few days ago and the Vertex Alpha 200 Skimmer wasn't working - Red Dragon pump seems dead. I soaked it in vinegar for almost 2 days, took it all apart, cleaned 100% and........ nothing.

Anything else I can try to salvage the pump or just pick my head up and move on. I really hate to have to buy a replacement since it is a pricey pump.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Current Tank Info: 48x30x20 Rimless
Enjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2013, 12:06 PM   #2
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

If you have to replace it, I believe the motor block is the same as the Laguna 1500.

If you take the volute off and plug it in, do you feel any resistance on the pinwheel? That should tell you if the motor block is dead

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Enjoy
That's what she said....

Hey Mike,

No when I plug it in - nothing happens.

Is the laguna 1500 identical? I can use the pinwheel, and PVC front end of the Red Dragon?

Unread 08/22/2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Enjoy
That's what she said....

Anyone have a spare skimmer I could borrow for ~ 150g?

Unread 08/22/2013, 12:16 PM   #5
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoy View Post
Hey Mike,

No when I plug it in - nothing happens.

Is the laguna 1500 identical? I can use the pinwheel, and PVC front end of the Red Dragon?
RD does a couple of mods to make it their own, but I'm pretty positive it's the same motor block. You may want to confirm the Equipment forum on RC.

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
Unread 08/22/2013, 01:46 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

The laguna Max Flo 1500 is the same motor block as the RD 1500. You do get a longer power cable though. The other difference is that the RD has the base plate with the rubber feet which you either need to carefully remove from the RD and glue onto the Laguna or So cal tropical reef outlet has a base they sell for the Laguna pump which should work in conjunction with the Alpha. Once you get the pump, you transfer the impeller housing and impeller onto the Laguna and you are set.

I recently purchased a Max-Flo 1500 just so I have a spare pump. You take apart the pond pump assembly and inside is the pump motor.

The Max-flo 1500 has been discontinued but there are still some out there if you dig around. I noticed some on eBay for $159 Or best offer. You could probably get it for around $130.00

If I were you, I'd go get yourself one of these pumps so you can put your skimmer back to good use.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2013, 01:59 PM   #7
cayecaulker
Registered Member

The replacement for the Laguna Max Flo 1500 is now the Laguna Max Flo 1350 (PT#8240). The motor block is identical to the Red Dragon 1500. How do I know? My Red Dragon 1500 went on the fritz Monday. I spoke with Victor (ATB) and he suggested the Max Flo 1350 as a direct replacement.
I ordered one from Dr. Foster Smith with overnight delivery. Of course, the day the new pump arrived my Red Dragon started working again...

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

Current Tank Info: 48X30X20 Lee-Mar all starphire display, custom Advanced Acrylics sump, Vertex Alpha 200, 10-bulb Geiseman Matrix T5 with LED. APEX Controlled. Mixed Reef Madness
cayecaulker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2013, 02:25 PM   #8
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
The Max-flo 1500 has been discontinued but there are still some out there if you dig around. I noticed some on eBay for $159 Or best offer. You could probably get it for around $130.00

If I were you, I'd go get yourself one of these pumps so you can put your skimmer back to good use.
Oh wow, I didn't know that they were no longer making this pump. My skimmer uses this pump and I use one for my return. I better buy an spare.

Unread 08/22/2013, 02:27 PM   #9
nikecivic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoy View Post
Hey guys - it's been awhile.

Well I went to check on the tank a few days ago and the Vertex Alpha 200 Skimmer wasn't working - Red Dragon pump seems dead. I soaked it in vinegar for almost 2 days, took it all apart, cleaned 100% and........ nothing.

Anything else I can try to salvage the pump or just pick my head up and move on. I really hate to have to buy a replacement since it is a pricey pump.

Anyone have any suggestions?
My Red Dragon 1600 pump for my BK Mini 160 died on me after the 2 year warranty. I went to SoCal Tropical to ask for a warranty and Tom said to call the Royal Exclusive distributor. After several emails and pictures, I shipped the pump to them and they ended up replacing the pump for free. I think the pump is over $400 if I bought a new one.

I would try to contact the sales rep (I can't find my old emails) before you end up buying a new pump or skimmer.

----------------------

Current Tank Info: 180 Glass Tank (6'x2'x2') with a Bubble King Mini 160 (on the second Red Dragon pump), Korallin 1502, Apex w/WXM, Ecotech Radion G1 w/TIR lenses, (2) Ecotech MP40w (one w/ES upgrade) w/Battery Backup, (2) Jebao WP25, Jebao DC12000, 55g acrylic sump
nikecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Enjoy
That's what she said....

Thanks so much to everyone for their replies as well as the many people that PM'd offering their skimmers to borrow - sincerely appreciate this community.

I am going to contact Mike at Socal Tropical Fish. Maybe get a bit of a discount for the My Miami frag he owes me from back in the day when I had coral

slief - I completely agree. And thank you for the great information

Unread 08/23/2013, 01:20 PM   #11
gcarroll
Registered Member

If you end up needing a Laguna 1500 I have a brand new one in the garage. Let me know, I won't be needing since I'm taking the tank down.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2013, 09:36 PM   #12
oscar.millan
Registered Member

I had the same issue with my Red Dragon pump, it turned out to be a calcified bearing. I honestly thought it was dead.

In my case, I use Kalk which means heavy calcification anywhere there is friction or heat. The impeller shaft and the bearings are a perfect place for calcification and that's what ended up causing the problem for me.

Step one: Soak your entire Impeller, magnet, shaft assembly in vinegar.
Step two: Grab the bearing with some needle nose pliers and turn until its free.
Step three: Soak in vinegar again for a few hours.

This did the trick for me, hope this helps you out. Saved me from buying a new pump.

-Tesla

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef, 90g rimless cube.
oscar.millan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2013, 08:19 PM   #13
miracles38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar.millan View Post
I had the same issue with my Red Dragon pump, it turned out to be a calcified bearing. I honestly thought it was dead.

In my case, I use Kalk which means heavy calcification anywhere there is friction or heat. The impeller shaft and the bearings are a perfect place for calcification and that's what ended up causing the problem for me.

Step one: Soak your entire Impeller, magnet, shaft assembly in vinegar.
Step two: Grab the bearing with some needle nose pliers and turn until its free.
Step three: Soak in vinegar again for a few hours.

This did the trick for me, hope this helps you out. Saved me from buying a new pump.

Can you please explain what to do for Step 2. My Red Dragon for my Alpha 170 has stopped working. It will spin the impeller for a few seconds when first powered up, but then quits. I'm thinking the motor is kaput, but want to try whatever I can first.

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
miracles38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2013, 01:26 PM   #14
sean2sean
Registered Member

i end up buying a bubble blaster pump for my sm250. my red dragon also went dead. didnt want to shell out 600 bucks for a pump.

sean2sean is offline   Reply With Quote