Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 08/24/2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Critical1
Registered Member

ph swing overnight

What is your normal ph swing overnight?

Mine is 8.1 when the lights go out and when the lights come back on the next day it is 7.85.

Is that to much of a swing? If so.....any suggestion on how to keep more stable.

Critical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2013, 11:22 AM   #2
spieszak
Registered Member

My swing is about .1.. so depending on where I'm at (still playing with my alk dosing to get it where i want it/stable), I run a high of about 8.21 and a low of about 8.11.
Reverse lighting my sump is what did the most to keep it from larger swings.

Old 08/24/2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Arkayology
Registered Member

That isn't a big swing. I wouldn't worry about trying to keep it stable unless you drop below 7.6ish. If you really want to try and keep it up during the night you can run a reverse light cycle on your fuge if you have one, dose your alk at night if you dose, or keep a window open. IMO, don't worry about it.

in between tanks
Arkayology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2013, 11:28 AM   #4
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical1 View Post
What is your normal ph swing overnight?

Mine is 8.1 when the lights go out and when the lights come back on the next day it is 7.85.

Is that to much of a swing? If so.....any suggestion on how to keep more stable.
That's natural. It really isn't a problem.

Current Tank: Undergoing reconstruction...
disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2013, 04:19 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that many tanks show such a swing. I'd ignore it, personally.

Old 08/24/2013, 04:23 PM   #6
blanden.adam
Registered Member

Agreed, that swing is actually quite small (mine goes from 8.3 to 8.0-8.1, or if I've had guests over that night as low as 7.9)

Current Tank Info: Low Tech Reef. 282 gallon starphire display. 2x400W Radiums in Cozumel Sun reflectors. 150 Gallon Rubbermaid Sump w/50 gallon chaeto refugium. Lifereef skimmer. 2-part dosing.
blanden.adam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2013, 01:53 AM   #7
hallzoo
Registered Member

7.78 to 8.10 when using sodium bicarbonate in my 2-part, 8.2 to 8.4 when using sodium carbonate.

Never saw any difference in livestock health with either pH range.

hallzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2013, 02:47 PM   #8
PaulieReef
Registered Member

I know if there was a .3 ph swing in a human it could be pretty bad. I am still fairly new to reef chemistry, but I would assume the lower swing the better? I mean there are may references in chem books to how our body is like a walking aquarium :P.

PaulieReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2013, 03:18 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

Cells regulate their internal pH very tightly because the reactions needed to stay alive only work in a fairly small range. Generally, organisms are reasonable well-adapted to smaller pH shifts like that, which can happen in some natural environments, too. Lagoons would be one example.

Old 08/25/2013, 05:25 PM   #10
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieReef View Post
I know if there was a .3 ph swing in a human it could be pretty bad. I am still fairly new to reef chemistry, but I would assume the lower swing the better? I mean there are may references in chem books to how our body is like a walking aquarium :P.
Intracellular pH swings may be bad, but we're talking about pH swings in the water outside the cell. The cells in our corals maintain intracellular pH well below that of the water outside. I can't find the article Cliff posted about a year or two ago, but it was something like 7.2 inside the cells.

Just changing the pH a little bit outside isn't necessarily going to change things inside.

Current Tank: Undergoing reconstruction...
disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote