Reef Central Online Community
The Filter Guys

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 09/06/2013, 06:20 AM   #1
moga
Registered Member
 
moga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,219
Anyone use MicMol LED?

Anyone know about this MicMol brand?

from Hongkong.. looks slick but i haven't seen any users.

http://www.micmol.com


__________________
Since 2001,

30x30x20 cube with GHL LED Mitras LED lighting tank. No sump is good tank~
moga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2013, 06:41 AM   #2
cjm5283
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 70
It looks "A real amazing". Well actually it kind of looks like a product from Apple.

I have not heard of them or used them but I do want to note that their Distance/Size/Par table is all screwed up. How can a light have a square inch size smaller than the product itself. Its lights are 7.8" x 7.8" which is 60.84 sq. inch. Using their table you have to keep the light over a foot away just to light its own area...


cjm5283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2013, 06:45 AM   #3
moga
Registered Member
 
moga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm5283 View Post
It looks "A real amazing". Well actually it kind of looks like a product from Apple.

I have not heard of them or used them but I do want to note that their Distance/Size/Par table is all screwed up. How can a light have a square inch size smaller than the product itself. Its lights are 7.8" x 7.8" which is 60.84 sq. inch. Using their table you have to keep the light over a foot away just to light its own area...
well, thanks for your input.. i have no knowledge in this LEDology..

i will keep waiting for input from others as well.~


__________________
Since 2001,

30x30x20 cube with GHL LED Mitras LED lighting tank. No sump is good tank~
moga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member
 
Ron Reefman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 10,021
They look pretty good for smaller size tanks. They are still too close to a 1:1 blue to white ratio. And with that ratio there is little or no need for red or green leds. If the ratio were 3:1 then the red and green could be useful. Other than that, they look well made, good looking and they are using good leds. I really like the way the leds are not behind a glass plate and are spread out over the surface of the fixture. There are a few others like that out there.

My questions are:
How big is the tank you are going to use these over and how many fixtures do you plan to use?
How much do they cost? If the Pro is more than $300, it's too much. There are $320 fixtures out there with 2.0 to 2.5 times as many leds and good built-in controllers. They may not have Cree leds, but you can't run them at 100%, so who really cares?


__________________
The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. (Neil deGrasse Tyson)
Visit my build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2593017
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Uglyman
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 60
Here is a thread from our aussie reefing site with some info on the micmol lights.

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewto...0&hilit=micmol

HTH


Uglyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2013, 11:31 PM   #6
asid61
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 1,113
I don't know. They use regular blue instead of royal blue, and that's supposed to look "windexy". Also, the blues are XP-E.
EDIT: The color version looks pretty good though.


asid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/06/2013, 11:53 PM   #7
yanagisawa
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 30
I come from Hongkong and I do not hear any news talking about this light or anyone using it, either.


yanagisawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2013, 09:54 AM   #8
DJ Liquid
Registered Member
 
DJ Liquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 24
Amazing

I have the new version. I had it for two weeks now. It's one piece of beautiful hardware. Nothing I've seen but Apple products have as nice of a design. Most of what on this thread is wrong. It's spread and power are more then enough within a 24x24 tank or a 29 gallon biocube. It comes with an anti-salt corrosive aluminum alloy arm and a pendant hanging kit. The light is controllable via a touch led display... it even has a thunder storm mode. For the money nothing comes close. They have a blue and color version comparable/similar to the hydra/vega led arrangement. They are cree leds. The box/packaging/design all apple. Brilliant. The only con is that settings are not user friendly but work and there are youtube video guides available to assist as the manual doesn't help. But, boy is it sweet. I will post pics shortly. Btw- The customer service is second to none. I will post a pic/s shortly. DISCLAIMER- I by no means am associated with MicMol or the LED industry whatsoever. I just had the guts to try something new that others have been skeptical to buy and I am glad I did.


__________________
SeaClear System II 75 gallon acrylic reef with three Kessil 360WE's.
DJ Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Ron Reefman
Registered Member
 
Ron Reefman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 10,021
DJ, what are the colors and numbers of leds?


__________________
The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. (Neil deGrasse Tyson)
Visit my build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2593017
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2013, 10:25 AM   #10
DJ Liquid
Registered Member
 
DJ Liquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 24
http://www.micmol.com/aquamini/techspecs.html
The link say's it all. I'll be ordering the color mini soon.


__________________
SeaClear System II 75 gallon acrylic reef with three Kessil 360WE's.
DJ Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2013, 10:57 AM   #11
asid61
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Liquid View Post
I have the new version. I had it for two weeks now. It's one piece of beautiful hardware. Nothing I've seen but Apple products have as nice of a design. Most of what on this thread is wrong. It's spread and power are more then enough within a 24x24 tank or a 29 gallon biocube. It comes with an anti-salt corrosive aluminum alloy arm and a pendant hanging kit. The light is controllable via a touch led display... it even has a thunder storm mode. For the money nothing comes close. They have a blue and color version comparable/similar to the hydra/vega led arrangement. They are cree leds. The box/packaging/design all apple. Brilliant. The only con is that settings are not user friendly but work and there are youtube video guides available to assist as the manual doesn't help. But, boy is it sweet. I will post pics shortly. Btw- The customer service is second to none. I will post a pic/s shortly. DISCLAIMER- I by no means am associated with MicMol or the LED industry whatsoever. I just had the guts to try something new that others have been skeptical to buy and I am glad I did.
You're saying 9 leds is enough for a 29 gallon biocube? Try out SPS and see what happens. If it works, then they've revolutionized leds.


asid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2013, 10:31 PM   #12
DJ Liquid
Registered Member
 
DJ Liquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 24



__________________
SeaClear System II 75 gallon acrylic reef with three Kessil 360WE's.
DJ Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2013, 06:55 AM   #13
Ron Reefman
Registered Member
 
Ron Reefman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 10,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
You're saying 9 leds is enough for a 29 gallon biocube? Try out SPS and see what happens. If it works, then they've revolutionized leds.
asid61 and I often don't see things eye to eye, but on this one I'm 100% in agreement!

And IMHO the led color selection is too white, or in the case of the 'color' fixture you really don't need the red or green leds. White leds add enough red into the mix until you hit about a 3:1 or 4:1 mix of blue to white. Then a bit of red and green may be useful. But in a 9 led fixture they don't help as much as they hurt! You have way too much red and green that the coral could care less about. It may look good to your eyes, but that isn't what the coral or it's zooxanthellae feel about it. They want blue spectrum and lots of it. Add in as little white as you can to make it look OK to your eyes and you have a good compromise. 4 blue, 3 white, 1 red and 1 green is just way off the mark as far as your corals are concerned. But that's just my opinion.


__________________
The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. (Neil deGrasse Tyson)
Visit my build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2593017

Last edited by Ron Reefman; 09/08/2013 at 07:01 AM.
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/08/2013, 08:54 AM   #14
DJ Liquid
Registered Member
 
DJ Liquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 24
Reefman-Then again the colors are dimmable can be turned up or down. Also, I have the "blue" non color version with more blue spectrum and everything is reacting nicely to it including my acropora.


__________________
SeaClear System II 75 gallon acrylic reef with three Kessil 360WE's.
DJ Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/09/2013, 04:39 PM   #15
asid61
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 1,113
Oh, so just blue+white, 9 leds, and your corals are still alive?
Replace immediately, or your corals will slowly die over a month or two.


asid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2013, 06:38 AM   #16
moga
Registered Member
 
moga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,219
I think it's enough for my 7gallon tank~..\


__________________
Since 2001,

30x30x20 cube with GHL LED Mitras LED lighting tank. No sump is good tank~
moga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2013, 04:58 PM   #17
asid61
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by moga View Post
I think it's enough for my 7gallon tank~..\
Oh, yes, that's true. For 7 gallons it's perfect.


asid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2013, 09:32 PM   #18
zachts
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO.
Posts: 3,266
It sure is pretty but I don't see much on what operating current the chips run at to make a comparison of how well it might work. only total power consumption...

thier spectrum graphs look fake, as there is no way one red and one green make that big of a spike with all the blue and white on. likewise they have almost no green or yellow showing on the standard graph even with all those white chips?

I give it props for style and features but it seems a bit lacking in performance. the full size one probably would be fine on a biocube though. the mini, well only for the nano tanks....but a darn pretty option.


zachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2013, 11:40 PM   #19
asid61
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachts View Post
It sure is pretty but I don't see much on what operating current the chips run at to make a comparison of how well it might work. only total power consumption...

thier spectrum graphs look fake, as there is no way one red and one green make that big of a spike with all the blue and white on. likewise they have almost no green or yellow showing on the standard graph even with all those white chips?

I give it props for style and features but it seems a bit lacking in performance. the full size one probably would be fine on a biocube though. the mini, well only for the nano tanks....but a darn pretty option.
I agree about the graphs. They look very different, and the red, green, and violet peaks are all the same height. Just looks weird.
However, most people won't get use out of graphs anyway; it's the leds that matter. You generally don't mix Crees with no-name leds of extremely bad quality to make a large difference in the graph and output.


asid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2013, 12:24 AM   #20
Ron Reefman
Registered Member
 
Ron Reefman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 10,021
I think most led fixture manufacturers don't even own the equipment do do a real spectrum graph of the fixture.


__________________
The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. (Neil deGrasse Tyson)
Visit my build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2593017
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2013, 12:30 AM   #21
Pacific Sun RD
Przemek Cybulski
 
Pacific Sun RD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gdynia
Posts: 2,843
Ron, all reliable and honest manufacturers should have a real spectrum charts their lamps, is not it?


Pacific Sun RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2013, 12:39 AM   #22
asid61
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Sun RD View Post
Ron, all reliable and honest manufacturers should have a real spectrum charts their lamps, is not it?
I think it's nice to have them, but I am more worried personally about he leds themselves. A spectral chart is nice, but a rough estimate would be all that's need. However, faking a chart is kind of low.


asid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2013, 07:02 AM   #23
moga
Registered Member
 
moga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,219
how about this bulb?

http://coralcompulsion.com/led-36w-14k-Full


__________________
Since 2001,

30x30x20 cube with GHL LED Mitras LED lighting tank. No sump is good tank~
moga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2013, 07:05 PM   #24
asid61
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by moga View Post
It looks okay, but I don't know if you will get 14k. More like 12k.


asid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2013, 03:19 AM   #25
Ron Reefman
Registered Member
 
Ron Reefman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 10,021
And with so few leds in total and a 3:2 blue to white ratio, you really don't need the red or green leds. It's a waste of led space that could have been blue. The white leds will have enough red spectrum and the green... well, in this case, is just a waste, IMHO. You only need red and green leds if you have a high ratio of blue to white leds (like 3:1 or higher) and a lot of leds (like 48 or more).


__________________
The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. (Neil deGrasse Tyson)
Visit my build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2593017
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014