Reef Central Online Community
Digital Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/16/2013, 06:17 PM   #1
drmrp17
Registered Member

Radion Pro Problems

I have been keeping reef aquariums for a few years now. I started off with 250 watt MH for my first tank. Switched to Radion Pros for my current tank (75 gal).

I have not been able to dial these things in yet. Currently the fixtures are 6 inches off of the water mounted in a canopy. I have tried increasing the intensity over 35% and it killed half my coral and fish (ich breakout).

I am running a chiller and keep the tank at 80 degrees, have big skimmer, uv sterilizer, and monitor my levels like crazy. Yet, I my corals suck compared to my MH. Fish seemed stressed. Overall not working out well.

Attached is my current lighting cycle. I am using Ecosmart Live, radiant color template, on for 11 hours, with peak intensity at 35%. Am I running these things wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (46.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 10/16/2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Saltar
Registered Member

I ran my pros at around 35-40 for awhile and I started to lose a few corals. I started going up by 5% at a time and corals started doing better and better. I am currently at 60% and all corals doing well. Getting growth and color. Using modified template similar to yours. 35% to low might be your issue.

Saltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2013, 12:43 AM   #3
Eastamherstbias
Registered Member

you are a tad close to the water line. You may need to clean them on a regular basis or they will be caked with salt. They should be about 9 inches off the water line.
Gen 1s are similar to a 250mh.

140g Basement Frag System 5 x Radion
Eastamherstbias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2013, 06:48 AM   #4
Alex Y EcoTech
Registered Member

drmrp,

I would also recommend raising your Radions to a minimum of 8 inches off the surface of the water. From there, try enabling acclimation mode to allow both your corals and fish time to adjust.

Alex Y EcoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2013, 07:07 AM   #5
prox
Registered Member

I m keeping intensity 50% @ 20k setting. Above that and my sps will start to bleach. My light is about 1 ft above surface. 2 pros on 3 x 3ft x 55cm deep. Corals position about half of tank depth