Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > SpectraPure
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/21/2013, 10:59 AM   #1
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

SpectraPure's new 99% Rejection Membrane, your potential cost savings explained...

Hello-
I wanted to take some of your time to explain and clarify why our new membranes with 99% typical rejection are so important to your RODI system water production cost of operation. I will also explain why our 99% rejection membrane performance is unique, and when you might want to change your membrane to operate your system at low cost so as to produce high quality water at the lowest cost.

History:
In the old days, vendor specs for the "best" membrane were >96%, and 98% typical.
Of course there were a few with much better rejection in these large batches of membranes so SpectraPure® individually tested each of these membranes to select only a few having the best performance to sell as our "SpectraSelect™” >98% rejection (guaranteed). Those that did not make the grade were used in less critical applications, or if below the manufacturers spec, returned to the supplier.
Around this same time, SpectraPure also developed an in house proprietary treatment process to enhance rejection, increase production, and decrease rinse up time. We still use this process today, regardless of what membrane source material we use as the benefits are substantial for high purity water production.
These original SpectraSelect membranes could easily provide a customer with a 2% rejection increase over the bottom end of the specification of the leading membranes of the day (96% rejection being the bottom end of the typical spec, and >98% rejection being our treated, individually tested and verified guarantee).
Case #1
You may ask why 98% rejection vs. 96% rejection is important, and how could such a seemingly small 2 % increase could possibly save you money in operation costs.
Case#1 Impact of going from 96% to 98% rejection on typical feed
Raw Water TDS (270) 96% rejection (10.8) 98% rejection (5.4) Improvement 200% DI Life DOUBLED

In this case, going from 96% to 98% rejection increase cuts in half (10.8ppm down to 5.4ppm) the ionic load passed on to the DI section of your RODI system. Cutting this load in half in effect DOUBLES the life of the DI section. In other words, cuts in HALF your DI costs.
Now, the best just got better
Our new 99% rejection SpectraSelectPlus™ membrane blows away the competition. It is simply the best available membrane for the money.
http://spectrapure.com/AQUARIUM/MEMB...PD-RO-Membrane
Our newest membrane is treated with our in house proprietary process to enhance rejection, increase production, and then individually tested to guarantee typical 99% rejection, and a minimum of 98%!

Is a one percent increase over our old SpectraSelect membrane really worth it you ask?
Refer to case #2 below; showing a one percent increase at these high levels of rejection DOUBLES the life of your DI! Or in other words cuts your DI costs by half!
Case #2 Impact of going from 98% to 99% rejection on typical feed
Raw Water TDS (270) 98% rejection (5.4) 99% rejection (2.7) Improvement 200% DI Life DOUBLED

The Competition
As usual, there is a competitor offering a “me too” “99%” rejection membrane, but looking closer, their spec is a minimum of 97%. Again, our SpectraSelect membrane has a minimum of 98% rejection, or at least one percent more than this competitors membrane. Refer to case #3 below In the case of going from 97% to 98%, this is a minimum improvement of 1.5 TIMES the life of the DI section. Still a significant cost reduction.

Case #3 Impact of going from 97% to 98% rejection on typical feed
Raw Water
TDS (270) 97% rejection (8.1) 98% rejection (5.4) Improvement 150% DI Life One and a half

But what if you only have 97%rejection and you go to 99% with the SpectraSelectPlus?
Case #4 shows if you go from the minimum competitor rejection spec of 97% to our typical SpectraSelectPlus™ 99% rejection, a TRIPLE life increase in your DI. Triple!

Case #4 Impact of going from 97% to 99% rejection on typical feed
Raw Water TDS (270) 97% rejection (8.1) 99% rejection (2.7) Improvement 300% DI Life TRIPLED

What if you only have 96% rejection, what will 99% rejection do for your operating cost?
To answer the question of those whom have the fairly typical industry standard 96% rejection membrane, a 99% rejection membrane will quadruple Your Di life. Let me repeat, quadrupled. Please to case #5. This is a strong case for keeping the best membrane in your system possible. Rejection performance pays huge dividends in DI life!
Case #5 Impact of going from 96% to 99% rejection on typical feed
Raw Water TDS (270) 96% rejection (10.8) 99% rejection (2.7) Improvement 400% DI Life QUADRUPLED

When should I change my membrane?
The flip side of this question is when should I change my membrane? Refer to case #6 which shows the impact of your rejection degrading from 98% to 95%, DI life is cut in half.
Case #6 Impact of going from 98% to 95% rejection on typical feed
Raw Water TDS (270) 98% rejection (5.4) 95% rejection (13.5) Increase in Ionic Load 40% DI Life >HALVED

Note: these calculations assume no CO2 which is not removed by your RO membrane, which can significantly degrade the life of your DI. High pH, or contaminates such as chloramines will also affect performance. The typical calculation charts shown reflect the IONIC load improvements relative to each Rejection Improvement.

I hope this helps you better understand why/how your RO membrane rejection is a prime driver in your RODI water production cost.
Bruce

Last edited by SpectraPure; 10/21/2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: formating issues when posting
SpectraPure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2014, 12:33 PM   #2
buffalo123
Registered Member

How can i reduce the amount of waste water. I read piggy back membrane will, however i've been looking at the 99% membrane you carry and now have to decide water savings (which is expensive in this area) or 99%.membrane.

What will dual standard RO membrane give;will rejection rate improve or stay the same? Will it save water as it said to do? whats the disadvantage?

Considered mixing 99% with standard membrane piggy back would that offer me any advantage?

buffalo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2014, 12:44 PM   #3
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

You have been given some misleading information. Regardless of the %rejection and piggy-back or not, you must maintain a waste to product ratio commensurate with your tap water HARDNESS (not TDS). You can have a 2:1 ratio IF it is less than 180 ppm. More than 180 ppm, and you will need at least a 3:1 ratio.

If you combine a 99% membrane with a 95% membrane, you will get 97% rejection.

Scott
SpectraPure

Old 02/28/2014, 01:21 PM   #4
buffalo123
Registered Member

I see now . My ppm is well over 180. so it seem the best option is 99% membrane. Unable to reduce water.
I check my current spectrapure unit and have waste water ratio of 3.66:1
3.66 waste water to 1 part good water.
From what i understand piggy backing then could reduce the life of the membrane if waste water ratio don't remain at least 3:1 ?

buffalo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2014, 01:30 PM   #5
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

That's correct. If you add a membrane and don't touch the flow restrictor, that 3.66:1 will drop to 1.83:1. The piggy-back kit comes with an appropriate flow restrictor.

Scott

Old 02/23/2015, 06:19 PM   #6
sealtea116
Registered Member

Maybe you can help me I'm looking to get a ro/DI unit and was told to get the new one that is 179.99 and was told in another forum that for 20 dollars more I can add the 99 % membrane I didint see an option for it on the website I email the sales team to ask them and no responses yet just looking to see if that is possible or is it over kill would it be best thanks for your help

sealtea116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2015, 06:26 PM   #7
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Sealtea116,

Please call sales at 480-894-5437 ext1. Ask them for the Chloramine Removal System with the 99% rejection upgrade! Sorry for the lack of response via email. I am certain it may have landed in someone's junk box. If you ever need anything else please do not hesitate to ask.

Jeremy

Old 02/23/2015, 06:29 PM   #8
sealtea116
Registered Member

So that is still a on going deal for 200 179.99 and 20 for the upgrade if so I'm ordering tomorrow

sealtea116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2015, 02:28 PM   #9
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Indeed!

Jeremy

Old 02/26/2015, 07:17 PM   #10
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I bought one of the chloramine setups. It's awesome! When I first got it I installed my booster pump which proved to be the wrong thing to do. Removing the pump has given a much longer life to the carbon blocks.

Thinking about adding an additional 99% membrane. If I am getting 60psi with a 4:1 and 43deg input temp... do you think this is enough to add a second membrane without a booster? It may be more cost effective in my particular situation to sacrifice membrane life for longer contact time.

On your high end system I installed on a customers tank it back flushed the membrane from the storage tank. Since I have an aquatec booster could I use it to do the same thing? Would this help with the life of the membrane(s)?

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2015, 09:28 PM   #11
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

tkeracer. I would stay at 90 gpd with the booster pump at a 3:1 ratio or possible 4:1. 180 gpd also will kill your pre-filtration. you don't waste anymore with a booster pump if you adjust the waste-to-product ratio properly. Also with a flush valve and a softened water source we can push 2:1-2.5:1 without concerns of scaling our membranes.

We need to get into the habit of making at least 25 gallon batches if we already haven't. This will help us maintain maximum filter life. We should only be using our floats as over-flow protection. Never should we leave our systems on all the time relying on our floats to activate and deactivate the water flow. This will cause premature failure of filters, algae and bacteria blooms in our tanks, precious time being taken on unnecessary maintenance, and our wallets much lighter.

The best way to run your system is on dual electronic floats. We have a kit perfect for any RO-RODI system. This allows our system to be automated like we want it to be, but only allowing the system to turn on when the water reaches a specific depth in the reservoir, and more importantly to turn off when the higher float is pushed upward. Ultimately it is always wise to use a mechanical float above the high float and off-set. This will allow ultimate over-flow protection if the solenoid valve were to get stuck by a small particulate.

I can ramble on for hours. So in a nutshell use the booster pump, but get a measuring cup and a stop-watch to measure the waste-to-product ratio. Check the rejection of the membrane, and then you can fine-tune your system. We are looking for the lowest tds value coming from the membrane while wasting as little as possible. Make sure you let the system run for 5 minutes before taking a gander at the RO TDS.

We can possibly trim, or restrict the waste line to make adjustments. Just tell me what your waste-to-product ratio is initially with the psi, tap tds, and ro tds. Then we will go from there!

Jeremy

Old 07/07/2015, 09:19 PM   #12
suicideissleep
Registered Member

Quick question i have a 100gpd unit from your company i put a piggy back di with two 100gpd membranes how do i figure out my flow restrictor and how do i know if its right? Thank you
Ron

suicideissleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2015, 09:20 AM   #13
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

I don't completely understand your question. If you got our Piggy-Back Kit, it came with the FR-180 Flow Restrictor. If not, then you could try to trim the existing FR down an inch at a time until you get to at least 3:1 wasteroduct ratio. If not, you will need our FR-180 Flow Restrictor.

Scott

Old 07/08/2015, 09:20 AM   #14
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

waste to product ratio.

Old 07/08/2015, 10:52 AM   #15
suicideissleep
Registered Member

Sry i had bought ur 90gpd setup and a member here on the forums was selling a piggy back kit but was only lines and canister so i bought two 90gpd membranes installed and now im atthis point so i need ur fr180 thank you very much

suicideissleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/13/2015, 03:22 PM   #16
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

You are very welcome.

Scott

Old 07/16/2015, 04:29 PM   #17
SunnyB
Registered Member

Not sure how to post a new thread, so I will hijack this one...sorry.

On 4/8/15 I purchased two "Spectrapure Spectraselect Plus 99% Rejection 90-GPD Tested RO membranes" from Paradise Pet Shop. The membranes were wet when they came and I immediately put them in RODI water and into the fridge. I am having a strange problem with them.

I am NOT a newbie. I changed the membrane, flushed it out for about an hour and had TDS of zero before DI. About 2 weeks later, I begin to make water for a WC in DT and the TDS was 29 before DI. I flushed out the system, no change. So I had the idea to change the membrane out with the spare in the fridge. BOOM..zero TDS before DI. Now, everytime I need water I have to swap out the membranes. !!!!

I live in Florida and I keep my RODI unit outside on my covered back porch. No direct sunlight. I have been making water in that area for over five years and never had this issue with any other brand of membrane. Clearly this is heat related? VERY DISAPPOINTED!! Not convenient to have to change membrane every time I need water!! I can't bring the system inside, I have no place to store it. Suggestions??

SunnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2015, 04:41 PM   #18
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Please, let's take this to our Private Message area and we can figure out what's going on.

Support at SpectraPure

Old 07/16/2015, 04:58 PM   #19
SunnyB
Registered Member

OK...Thanks!

SunnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2015, 05:06 PM   #20
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Thank you.

Old 04/27/2016, 03:22 PM   #21
m3lacoste
Registered Member

Hi,

I purchased this new membrane for my system. is 7-8PPM a good value after RO? or should I expect lower? Also how should I prevent the higher number PPM during first startup? It's in the 200s then lowers to 7-8PPM.

Thanks

m3lacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2016, 06:50 PM   #22
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

You can put a ball valve and a tee fitting after the membrane to send the first bit to the drain. What is your incoming tds. 708 seems reasonable.

Jeremy