Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/27/2014, 08:44 PM   #1
inktomi
Aviator

ATI Sirius X Lights

Hi -

I see some rumblings online about the new fully LED light from ATI - the Sirius X line. I even see it available for sale from some European stores already.

It seems like they're available in several different models... the ATI Sirius X1, X2, X4, X6, and the X8 depending on how many LED clusters you need or want to cover your tank.

Does anyone know anything about the US launch of these lights? There's some nice Youtube videos floating around, but not much detail on when we can order them ourselves.

I've been looking for a nice LED light to replace my PowerModule, and the Sirius X line might be the ticket.. if only I could find more details about them!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10892_0.jpg (101.0 KB, 275 views)
inktomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2014, 09:17 AM   #2
idlop
Registered Member

Hi

See you:http://hennings-miniriff.jimdo.com/v...sammenfassung/

idlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2014, 09:27 AM   #3
kc350twin
Registered Member

Get pumped saltwater . Com is showing them with pricing. They are in California

Old 05/11/2014, 11:36 AM   #4
inktomi
Aviator

Your link to Hennings-Miniriff has a par chart that shows them preforming very well.

Par/watt at least, the X2 is at 260.03 compared to the Ecotech Radion XR30w Pro at 153.23. I'm not sure which, but this is either 30, 45, or 60 cm from the lamp.

I'm surprised I haven't heard anything more about them.

Old 05/15/2014, 05:52 PM   #5
kc350twin
Registered Member

Maybe a post in the reef geek forum will get some more action

Old 05/24/2014, 10:21 PM   #6
kc350twin
Registered Member

Old 06/13/2014, 12:14 PM   #7
AD87
Registered Member

bump

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2014, 12:30 PM   #8
kc350twin
Registered Member

Check out the inter zoo bulk reef vids.
They have them featured.

Old 06/13/2014, 12:54 PM   #9
kc350twin
Registered Member

http://enews.bulkreefsupply.com/q/GL...4asMGSCEX76SJu

Old 06/14/2014, 02:21 PM   #10
inktomi
Aviator

I saw that ReefGeek sells the lights now, but still haven't decided if I want to use a Sirius light or some Kessil 260WE on my tank..

Old 06/14/2014, 04:55 PM   #11
A_Z
Registered Member

I might order the X4, but it would be for a nature aquarium. The fixture looks much sharper than the Radion and AI lights. Like something off a spaceship.

A_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/23/2014, 06:01 PM   #12
AD87
Registered Member

What makes these LEDs different than say a radion?

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2014, 08:27 PM   #13
Leanan
Registered Member

Has anyone tried these out yet? I'm considering the X2 for a 24x24x20 semi-cube.

Leanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2014, 05:57 AM   #14
ZON
Registered Member

I saw in interzoo..is a sunpower body with led at opposite side.. Center of fixture is empty..i ask them and said me becaise are too powerful and burning corals ..

ZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2014, 08:00 AM   #15
Oliver P.
Registered Member

Hello,

the Sirius is pretty popular here in Germany. ATI Nothamerica will have them soon, too.

@Zon
this is not exaclty what we told you @ Interzoo. We have two lines of LED-Clusters (with computer optimized Refelctors) in order to get an uniform Light distribution at a wide area below the penpant. Hereby your aquarium will be illuminated more equally and you are more flexible to place stoney (SPS) Corals.

It is incredible important to have the same high par readings in a wide area. Not the typical highest par readings in the center below the pendant an not enough light in the outer areas.

That is the reason why we use two lines of LED-Clusters in our Sirius. Also, the distance of each LED is exactly calculated. The Sirius is designed to have an even Par-distribution. Dont forget, we are manufacture of T5-lights for a long time and we have an own lab to control and to work out everything.

If we would add another line of LED-Cluster in the center, we simply have too much light in the center. More than that. It would lead to an uneven light distribution (to much light in the center) and a higher risk to burn corals.

Also, it is not just the Sunpower body. I agree it looks similar. But this is caused by using the same material for the housing. Inside the Sirius we use massive Alumium-profiles. We decided to use the same housing-material for different reasons:
1. It is proven, lightweight, durable and rust-proof.
2. It is made of aluminium. In this way the complete housing can work as a heatsink, too

By the way, you can control the temperature of all LED-Cluster every time at the Display.

Ok, I just want to jump in here, before something leads to misunderstandings.

Thanks and best regards,
Oliver Pritzel

Oliver P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/29/2014, 10:11 AM   #16
Leanan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver P. View Post
Hello,

the Sirius is pretty popular here in Germany. ATI Nothamerica will have them soon, too.

@Zon
this is not exaclty what we told you @ Interzoo. We have two lines of LED-Clusters (with computer optimized Refelctors) in order to get an uniform Light distribution at a wide area below the penpant. Hereby your aquarium will be illuminated more equally and you are more flexible to place stoney (SPS) Corals.

It is incredible important to have the same high par readings in a wide area. Not the typical highest par readings in the center below the pendant an not enough light in the outer areas.

That is the reason why we use two lines of LED-Clusters in our Sirius. Also, the distance of each LED is exactly calculated. The Sirius is designed to have an even Par-distribution. Dont forget, we are manufacture of T5-lights for a long time and we have an own lab to control and to work out everything.

If we would add another line of LED-Cluster in the center, we simply have too much light in the center. More than that. It would lead to an uneven light distribution (to much light in the center) and a higher risk to burn corals.

Also, it is not just the Sunpower body. I agree it looks similar. But this is caused by using the same material for the housing. Inside the Sirius we use massive Alumium-profiles. We decided to use the same housing-material for different reasons:
1. It is proven, lightweight, durable and rust-proof.
2. It is made of aluminium. In this way the complete housing can work as a heatsink, too

By the way, you can control the temperature of all LED-Cluster every time at the Display.

Ok, I just want to jump in here, before something leads to misunderstandings.

Thanks and best regards,
Oliver Pritzel
Thanks for jumping in! So would the X2 be a good fit for a 24x24x20 cube? Also, can the LED clusters be changed out in the future if a LED burns out?

Old 06/29/2014, 11:02 AM   #17
ZON
Registered Member

Hi oliver.. Maybe i understand bad..and write bad also.. But thank you for explanations..for led i told you that is very true and interesting this solution...for the sunpower body i don't wanted to mean that was the same , but only similar and is a positive thing that a brand have various model in unique design

Old 06/29/2014, 11:04 AM   #18
ZON
Registered Member

And remember that the cube in show was very well illuminated..

Old 06/29/2014, 07:25 PM   #19
Oliver P.
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for jumping in! So would the X2 be a good fit for a 24x24x20 cube?
@Leanan
The x2 is perfect for a 24 x24 cube. The cube here in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3fe...t=brstv_061314 is a 24x24x24 cube.
The Sirius x2 in this video runs at 100%. This is much more than most coral really need. We recommand to start with max. 50%. More blue and royalblue, 20- 50% white and 10-20% red. But any Sirius is already pre-programmed in this ways. (settings default). Together with the built in controller and the build in LED-Driver it is more a plug and play solution.

Quote:
Also, can the LED clusters be changed out in the future if a LED burns out?
The LED clusters can be changed out without opening the fixture. We did this to give customres the possibility to change the LED-Clusters if we see better LEDs in the future. It is nearly impossible that a LED can burn out in a Sirius. All our LED-Clusters have a temperature-sensor. In this way we can control the temperatur of the LEDs (active cooling) and you can always see the actual temperature on the display. So in our case you dont have to trust that the temperature is not too high...you know it.

@Zon
thanks, and by the way .... you have a great SPS-tank. I love to see nice SPS-Tanks of my customers. Sometimes I come here to see all the nice tanks. It is always such a treat for me...

regards,
Oliver

Oliver P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2014, 02:12 AM   #20
ZON
Registered Member

@oliver thank you ...but tank is at 50% of his potential..now i just changed skimmer to my old love BK..and finding a way with right light for acroporas.. maybe adding a powermodule 4x54 on the back is a good way.. i'm thinking i love LIGHT on tanks...

Old 06/30/2014, 10:03 AM   #21
Endemion
Registered Member

I've been running the Sirius X2 for a week now and love it. I have a 25x25x12 and the light distribution is even across the entire cube. No spot lighting effect at all.

I hooked it up to my laptop with the programming software and decided to keep the default 50% lighting cycle since I don't have any demanding corals yet. Though due to my shallow water depth, I'm sure SPS would do just fine at this intensity. It's pre-programmed for a nice day/night cycle with the lights gradually coming on in the morning and increasing in intensity for mid day. At night it decreases, and the cyan/red/white LED's fade more than the blue leaving an actinic look in the late evening. But even those fade even further until they are barely on for a true night resting period after I've gone to bed.

You can use the programming software to easily manipulate these intensities and color ranges for certain times of the day. My only complaint is that mine didn't come with any sort of manual so I had to figure all of this out on my own. Also, in order to program the lights with a computer, you will need a laptop unless your desktop is right next to your tank. My package contained a PS2-->USB dongle that plugs into the light, and a USB extension cable that you hook into that so you can sit down and plug it into your laptop. I think I would have preferred a flash drive or something so I didn't have to plug directly into the lighting fixture with a laptop. If I didn't have my work laptop at home, I would have had no way to push the saved lighting profile to the light, and instead would have needed to use the manual controls on the fixture itself (much more difficult). This is also the only way you can download the current lighting profile from the light and into the ATI Sirius software, so can you look at it and tweak it if you'd like.

One of the cooler features of the software is an accelerated full day cycle you can use while plugged into the lighting fixture so you can see what your programmed lighting schedule will look like during the course of the day and see the fading effects. Also, while making changes to the lighting coloration, you can preview any of these with the push of a button and see the fixture change to what you're currently working on.

Anyway, since I didn't see any comments from people that actually owned the lighting fixture, I thought folks might enjoy a first impression. I'm very happy with my new fixture and would recommend it for anyone looking for a well built LED fixture with the ability to customize your colors/intensity/time schedule.

-Josh

Last edited by Endemion; 06/30/2014 at 10:19 AM.
Endemion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/30/2014, 01:38 PM   #22
Leanan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver P. View Post
@Leanan
The x2 is perfect for a 24 x24 cube. The cube here in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3fe...t=brstv_061314 is a 24x24x24 cube.
The Sirius x2 in this video runs at 100%. This is much more than most coral really need. We recommand to start with max. 50%. More blue and royalblue, 20- 50% white and 10-20% red. But any Sirius is already pre-programmed in this ways. (settings default). Together with the built in controller and the build in LED-Driver it is more a plug and play solution.

The LED clusters can be changed out without opening the fixture. We did this to give customres the possibility to change the LED-Clusters if we see better LEDs in the future. It is nearly impossible that a LED can burn out in a Sirius. All our LED-Clusters have a temperature-sensor. In this way we can control the temperatur of the LEDs (active cooling) and you can always see the actual temperature on the display. So in our case you dont have to trust that the temperature is not too high...you know it.

@Zon
thanks, and by the way .... you have a great SPS-tank. I love to see nice SPS-Tanks of my customers. Sometimes I come here to see all the nice tanks. It is always such a treat for me...

regards,
Oliver
That's great, thanks so much for the info and the video link!

Old 06/30/2014, 01:43 PM   #23
Leanan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endemion View Post
I've been running the Sirius X2 for a week now and love it. I have a 25x25x12 and the light distribution is even across the entire cube. No spot lighting effect at all.

I hooked it up to my laptop with the programming software and decided to keep the default 50% lighting cycle since I don't have any demanding corals yet. Though due to my shallow water depth, I'm sure SPS would do just fine at this intensity. It's pre-programmed for a nice day/night cycle with the lights gradually coming on in the morning and increasing in intensity for mid day. At night it decreases, and the cyan/red/white LED's fade more than the blue leaving an actinic look in the late evening. But even those fade even further until they are barely on for a true night resting period after I've gone to bed.

You can use the programming software to easily manipulate these intensities and color ranges for certain times of the day. My only complaint is that mine didn't come with any sort of manual so I had to figure all of this out on my own. Also, in order to program the lights with a computer, you will need a laptop unless your desktop is right next to your tank. My package contained a PS2-->USB dongle that plugs into the light, and a USB extension cable that you hook into that so you can sit down and plug it into your laptop. I think I would have preferred a flash drive or something so I didn't have to plug directly into the lighting fixture with a laptop. If I didn't have my work laptop at home, I would have had no way to push the saved lighting profile to the light, and instead would have needed to use the manual controls on the fixture itself (much more difficult). This is also the only way you can download the current lighting profile from the light and into the ATI Sirius software, so can you look at it and tweak it if you'd like.

One of the cooler features of the software is an accelerated full day cycle you can use while plugged into the lighting fixture so you can see what your programmed lighting schedule will look like during the course of the day and see the fading effects. Also, while making changes to the lighting coloration, you can preview any of these with the push of a button and see the fixture change to what you're currently working on.

Anyway, since I didn't see any comments from people that actually owned the lighting fixture, I thought folks might enjoy a first impression. I'm very happy with my new fixture and would recommend it for anyone looking for a well built LED fixture with the ability to customize your colors/intensity/time schedule.

-Josh
Thanks so much for giving your first impression; I really like these lights so far, but it's still a big purchase for my first tank so hearing from someone who owns it is really helpful. That's really cool that there's an accelerated cycle with the software, and that it comes with the pre-programmed day/night cycle. Less to worry about in the beginning, but with the ability to tweak it later on as necessary; sounds perfect.

Old 07/08/2014, 05:11 PM   #24
Christian J
Registered Member

According to http://www.atinorthamerica.com/sirius_led_fixture.php these fixtures are suitable for 28" wide tanks (front to back). Will this cause light spill or glare over tanks that are less wide than that (say 20")?

Do the LED colors mix well, or can you see any "disco ball" effect? In the video above you can't tell either way due to overexposure.

Last edited by Christian J; 07/08/2014 at 05:17 PM.
Christian J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2014, 06:09 PM   #25
Leanan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian J View Post
According to http://www.atinorthamerica.com/sirius_led_fixture.php these fixtures are suitable for 28" wide tanks (front to back). Will this cause light spill or glare over tanks that are less wide than that (say 20")?

Do the LED colors mix well, or can you see any "disco ball" effect? In the video above you can't tell either way due to overexposure.
I'm also curious about both of these questions, can anyone chime in?