Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/01/2014, 01:35 PM   #1
Genetics
Registered Member

June 2014 Tank of the Month

This month we are featuring Andrew Sandler's (hedgedrew) 900 US-gallon reef aquarium.

More details can be found here.

Congratulations, Andrew!

Also check out the Reefkeeping Blog!

If you'd like to nominate a tank for Tank of the Month, click here or use the button to the right.

Current Tank Info: Planning phase.
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2014, 04:26 AM   #2
DgenR8
I'm an American
and I remember

I truly love all the tanks we feature, but this one is a standout among standouts!
Absolutely breathtaking, thanks so much for sharing with us, Andrew.

On top of that, she's being abused by those to whom she has given everything... Lies about her abound, and seem to come from all sides. Just breaks my heart. Maybe, if we join together, we can help her heal.
She's well over 230 years old, but way too young to die. Her name is 'America'... And I love her and I have always been proud of her.

Current Tank Info: 220 gal reef with 200+ gals of sump and refugium.
DgenR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2014, 05:01 AM   #3
Pny
Registered Member

Impressive list of fish inside those few tanks...

Pny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2014, 06:14 AM   #4
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Such an impressive setup Andrew!

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Misled
RC Mod

Absolutely amazing!!!

Current Tank Info: 54 corner goin away. 80 gallon rimless Deep Blue lagoon beginning!!!
Misled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2014, 02:50 PM   #6
TRK
Registered Member

Simply amazing! Your list of fish floored me.

TRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2014, 10:33 PM   #7
mrkalel
Registered Member

Just wow.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 144 Gal Half-Circle Display / AGA 72 Gal Bow-Front Fuge / Oceanic 60 Gal Sump 3 / ReeFlo Hammerhead Return / AquaC EV-240 Skimmer w. Mag 18 / Basement Sump & Fuge / 4 Reefbreeders Supernova's
mrkalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2014, 03:14 AM   #8
FastUno
Registered Member

Wow!

Current Tank Info: SW, Reef
FastUno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2014, 09:59 AM   #9
glaukos
Registered Member

Congratulations andrew!
Amazing!

Old 06/03/2014, 12:24 PM   #10
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

WOW!! Definitely the most impressive system that I have ever read about up there with Peter and Copps. You could charge admission to your house for for viewing your one of a kind collection of fish. Your SPS reef is so healthy and mature it's unbelieveable. Congratulations Andrew on a very well deserved honor and a system that I have been waiting to see pictures of for many months.

BTW, what is your overall impression of the blue line angel? Absolutely stunning fish to me.

Last edited by aandfsoccr04; 06/03/2014 at 12:51 PM.
aandfsoccr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2014, 02:43 PM   #11
GoldeneyeRet
Registered Member

Absolutely stunning system!

Congrats on the well deserved honor.

GoldeneyeRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2014, 03:45 PM   #12
Elliott
Registered Member

most impressive fish list in a reef tank, hands down, well done!

would like to hear more about your experiences with which fish eat which corals, and specific LPS that you have been able to keep with all those angels and butterflies

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2014, 04:03 PM   #13
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Thank you everyone!!!! I just realized this hit today. I was told june 5th. Wasn't prepared yet. Lol. I will go back and try to answer all these questions.

hedgedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2014, 04:07 PM   #14
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Aandfsocccr04. Blue line has been no issue at all for sps. We got him at 1.5 inch and he was in my 40 where he did pick at fleshy things like acans and lobo. Once I moved him into sps tank I have not had an issue. He's now about 4 inch.

Old 06/03/2014, 04:17 PM   #15
hedgedrew
Registered Member

So blasto has been on with angels. So has hammer and frogspawn. Those last 2 have not been good for butterfly's. They eat it. Angels have no issue with torch coral either. so far. Acans forget it. Lobos forget it. But stuff like maze brain or red dot brain or chalice has been just fine. So if it swells up and fleshy it's probably no good. Havnt seen an sps that's been issue except whith some coral eating butterfly's I kept for while. Btw for some reason they leave red and brown alevapora alone. Forget plate coral,

Old 06/03/2014, 05:43 PM   #16
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Elliott I tried to answer your question my best first shot. Anything more specific just fire away. Some of the angels like to taste euphillia like elegance. Byt some reason frog spawn doesn't interest them. And some reason blaso is reasonable. Not sure why.

Old 06/03/2014, 06:14 PM   #17
Kaman8
Registered Member

Really love your bandit angel and peppermint

Gratiana
Kaman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2014, 06:17 PM   #18
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Kaman besides the cospic and maybe the clarion, those two fish have a personality to themselves.

Old 06/03/2014, 09:08 PM   #19
Elliott
Registered Member

thanks Andrew, you answered my question very well

beautiful display

now, onward and upward as they say, bigger and better!

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2014, 09:12 PM   #20
waterdrinker
Registered Member

Spellbinding system!

waterdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2014, 12:25 AM   #21
dotcommer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgenr8 View Post
i truly love all the tanks we feature, but this one is a standout among standouts!
Absolutely breathtaking, thanks so much for sharing with us, andrew.
^^^^+1

Current Tank Info: Redsea Max 250 Mixed Reef, 125 Gal FOWLR, 90 Gal Mixed Reef, 30 Gal Fresh Water
dotcommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2014, 05:44 AM   #22
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Well what can one say about this tankthat has not been already said, It has to be the most amazing tank I have every seen in my 20+ years in the hobby. I really dont have many questions as the information in the write up says it all. but I do have a few questions about the Pair of peppermint angels - Centropyge boylei

First off I am and have always been a fan of centropyge angelfish for many years. I probably was one of the first to breed centropyge aurantius and documented it back in 1997 but was unable to raise any fry past 72 hours. After a couple of years I came very close to breaking the 72 hour mark with advice from a friend from the Brooklyn aquarium as I was a volunteer there. But then between work and kids I was forced to break down the aquarium and get rid of the fish a very sad day. I do have one picture left that I could share if you’re interested.

I have always dreamed of trying again with either centropyge replendins impossible to obtain and when available way be hound what I could afford or Centrepiece boylei but the cost associated with them is way above and beyond what I could ever afford as well.

I remember sending a very long hand written letter to Richard Pyle back in 1995 at the Waikiki Aquarium about this little fish but he never returned anything back to me well, It’s only been 20 years maybe he’s a little busy.

So after seeing your amazing tank and at the end of you tank thread I see that you have a pair of these little fish I was blown away. I know they are a small fortune but could I ask a favor from you. If and when they decided to spawn could you send me the eggs so I can again try raising the fry? I am very confident that with the newer technology I could get some to survive with a few ideas that I didn’t try the last time.
Well it was really nice to see such an amazing aquaria you have and it has brought me not only joy but it is very inspirational.
Here is my email address [email protected] if you every want to share more pictures of the Centrepiece boylei as it has always been a dream to own them. I will never forget the article that was written in FAMA magazine when the fish was first discovered truly an amazing find. And a long quest to at least see them in person.

As always thank you very much for sharing what I consider a once in a life time experience
Michael

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........®

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2014, 05:57 AM   #23
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Thank you for your kind words Michael. But here's the bad news. Just recently subsequently to many pics and write up, we lost one of our peps. These 2 were definitely a pair. But the one that died suddenly never learned or adopted to easting out of the water column. Was just a constant reef picker. We had him for about a year and thought he was eating especially with all the live baby brine we hatched and fed. But that fish was in no way like the one I have now who chases down food in water. I think it may have slowly starved but I'm not sure. So at the moment I have only one little bugger!! But I will pair them him or her again and then we can talk. O know peps will be around again later in year and this time I think Rufus and Karen will be holding them months before giving them to hobbyist. Theres been 2 issues with these fish. First apparently some had difficulty transferring to synthetic seawater. Those that used natural did much better at first. If that wasn't the issue, then the feeding in water column was the other. I'm not 100 per sure but I think there was over a 75 per mortality rate on the 20 or so that we're collected. I know they will do it better next time around. Making sure they can deal with water transition and food. Anytime you can contact me I'm in touch with this peppermint project.

Old 06/04/2014, 07:05 AM   #24
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Beautiful!

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2014, 07:14 AM   #25
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Thankyou all.