Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/24/2014, 08:31 PM   #1
fiji4118
Registered Member

Is the Aeris EPIC right for my daughter and me

Thought I'd float this here as I'm not getting a ton of responses on the scuba sites. Pasted the same question below and I would love some insight.

I have not had a chance to dive since the year I was certified (2003). My a lot has changed! My daughter is going through open water certification and I was looking into getting computers for both of us. We will be vacation divers for the most part and she will hold a junior certification for a few years that will limit our depth. I thought it would be nice to have hoseless AI on these so that I could monitor her air (I realize there is a very limited distance for the transmitters and I could probably just as easily look while I was next to her!). I came across the Aeris Epic new online for less that $400 with a transmitter. Seems like a pretty good deal for a computer with AI since I have seen these transmitters for Aeris/Oceanic at around $250-300 alone. The reviews I have been able to find are favorable but it is an older model. Pro/cons for this computer? Better plan than the one I have?

Thanks!

fiji4118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2014, 11:07 AM   #2
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Haven't had my hands on that particular one, but it looks like a decent computer. That said, I make my daughter use the tables and we check on each other's air via old fashioned hand signals...the basics that won't fail even when the modern electronics do When I get around to upgrading my old Aladin, I'll likely look for a good 2 for deal and get her one as well. By then she'll have had enough diving under her weight belt to still be able to fall back on the basics when the need arises.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2014, 11:29 AM   #3
ace_92101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
Haven't had my hands on that particular one, but it looks like a decent computer. That said, I make my daughter use the tables and we check on each other's air via old fashioned hand signals...the basics that won't fail even when the modern electronics do When I get around to upgrading my old Aladin, I'll likely look for a good 2 for deal and get her one as well. By then she'll have had enough diving under her weight belt to still be able to fall back on the basics when the need arises.
+1. I have an Oceanic VT 4.1, which I love. That said, learning the basics is always good. Additionally, computers can take a lot of study to understand and use especially if you don't dive a lot. Good luck diving with your daughter!

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2014, 04:53 PM   #4
snorvich
Team RC member

I learned doing it the old fashion way. Some things about wireless: it is desirable to have a backup pressure gage, when certain strobes recycle, they can temporarily impact wireless transmission. Keep batteries current.

Unread 06/25/2014, 06:10 PM   #5
fiji4118
Registered Member

Thanks all. Back ups are a must. I think the transmitter is the same one that can be used in Oceanic as well so we could upgrade down the road if the need arose. She is doing tables in class right now. Definitely a skill to have. I had to reread the book to check her answers. Apparently it isn't taught as much now since computers are so prevalent. But my thought is at that price it seems like a no brainer to add another level of safety/security.

fiji4118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2014, 11:22 AM   #6
PeterHall
Registered Member

I see some guys that have an issue with their transmitter and cant dive. It might be better to get a pressure gauge then upgrade to a transmitter later,

PeterHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2014, 01:03 AM   #7
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

this computer has been around awhile. Its lower/middle of the road.

Living in a dive community, I rarely see folks diving Aeris gear.

Personally, i would pass on the Aeris and look at another lineup if you plan on diving a lot. If you're going to get in the water a couple of times a year, might be a sound purchase.

i would suggest you not look at the Suunto D4/D6. Everyone i know has sent there's back for either warranty work, or a new battery replacement prematurely.

i dont want to jump into the whole transmitter vs hose pressure gage argument.

i have been diving with the same transmitter computer for the last 3 1/2+ years....never had to scratch a dive due to equipment failure. if im on vacation, i make sure to bring a hose/gage as a backup...never had to use it.

good luck!

Unread 07/05/2014, 06:57 PM   #8
PeterHall
Registered Member

I have a suunto d4i and love it. How long should a battery last?

PeterHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2014, 07:51 PM   #9
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterHall View Post
I have a suunto d4i and love it. How long should a battery last?

I've seen some sent back well under a year for battery replacement.....if you wear it as a wrist watch, as many folks do. I dont think this is the norm, but i've seen it.

the transmitters last a bit longer, up to 2 years or so.

i have to say around here....equipment gets used week in, week out, so might not be a fair metric on what is "average".

Most people are lucky to dive 3 times a year....that can be a normal weeks worth of diving here.

sucks you have to send it in to get a new CR2450 battery if you plan on ever using the warranty, not user replaceable.

it seems they either work great for the long haul, or some start to glitch on you around month 2 +, and you send it in.

There was a huge group buy a couple of years ago..$595 for the D4i w/xmitter so a lot of folks have them here.

Of course, you hear about the problems more than the non-problematic ones.

i have not seen any problems on the higher end D9's and D10's

Unread 07/28/2014, 10:02 AM   #10
Deinonych
Registered Member

I prefer console-style dive computers so I don't have to deal with the transmitter. I use an Atomic Cobalt that I absolutely love. It ain't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote