Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Genesis Reef Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/04/2014, 11:42 AM   #1
MarlinHooker
Registered Member

Waste water reservoir question

I'm assuming most people mount this reservoir above a sink and use gravity to drain the reservoir. However, I will not have a drain available and plan to dump the waste water into a toilet tank. My wife would prefer not to see this tube along the wall coming down from above the toilet tank so I'm thinking about using a pump to pump the seawater from the reservoir into the toilet tank which would allow me to run the tube along the baseboard & up into the back of the tank, thereby hiding the tubing.

Does your system have some way that I could turn on an auxiliary pump 1 hr after a water change is complete to pump out the water from the waste reservoir? ( I plan to change out 1 gal of seawater every 12 hrs 7 days a week.)

Current Tank Info: 150 mixed reef
MarlinHooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2014, 07:21 AM   #2
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Unfortunately there is no means to turn another pump on at a specified interval, only the pumps that are plugged into the Control Module.

Perhaps this would be as simple as using an appliance timer? Just a thought.

Kevin

Old 10/07/2014, 11:08 AM   #3
MarlinHooker
Registered Member

yeah, I thought of that as well, don't see why that wouldn't work ...

Old 10/08/2014, 04:06 AM   #4
sean2sean
Registered Member

if your running an apex... you can use float valve switches to activate and deactivate a pump on the power strip for your apex.

sean2sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2014, 06:54 AM   #5
MarlinHooker
Registered Member

Looks like I may not need a pump after all. My wife seems to be ok with the 1/4" tube running down the wall from underneath the bottom of the cabinet which is over the toilet tank as long as we hang something on the wall to hide it. This way I don't to add another pump to the system which is something else to fail. I like using gravity where I can ....

I had a plumber come over to look at it and he said the other thing we could do was remove the toilet, cut slot in the concrete foundation running from the toilet drain to my fish room ( about 2') and install a PVC trap like under a sink and then I could just stick the waste water lines into that drain in the fish room. Nice clean eloquent solution bUt I don't know if I want to spend the $500 to do it ...