Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/06/2014, 05:30 PM   #1
gemini aquarius(t)
Always Learning

I Finally Found One!

A Rhizo! I have always wanted one, but never been able to find one/afford one at the same time. My time has come!

Just wanted to share!

Unread 10/07/2014, 01:47 PM   #2
noy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini aquarius(t) View Post
A Rhizo! I have always wanted one, but never been able to find one/afford one at the same time. My time has come!

Just wanted to share!
Its a lovely small colony and i hate to quell your excitement but that is not a Rhizo. Its a Eguchipsammia fistula (often referred to incorrectly as dendrophyllia fistula). Common names are Orange cup coral, fat head dendro's, firecracker coral, Orange Sun Coral.

Rhizo's grow in a singular clam shell and the indivdual heads are much larger. I have thread on here with a number of images of Rhizo's.

noy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 04:57 PM   #3
gemini aquarius(t)
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by noy View Post
Its a lovely small colony and i hate to quell your excitement but that is not a Rhizo. Its a Eguchipsammia fistula (often referred to incorrectly as dendrophyllia fistula). Common names are Orange cup coral, fat head dendro's, firecracker coral, Orange Sun Coral.

Rhizo's grow in a singular clam shell and the indivdual heads are much larger. I have thread on here with a number of images of Rhizo's.
Sorry, with the curved glass I could only get in the the background. But yes that is a colony of fistula in the foreground

Unread 10/07/2014, 05:57 PM   #4
organism
code monkey

I don't think it's a Rhizo, looks more like a Monomyces or Balanophyllia. Rhizo's have much more of a football type shape with a pronounced oval skeleton.

Unread 10/07/2014, 08:19 PM   #5
noy
Registered Member

ok, i see it now. Sorry, totally zoned in on the foreground coral you had in focus.
I have seen these pop up all over in LFS recently and sold as Rhizo's. They could well be less developed ones. Mature Rhizo have thicker and well defined walls (septa) and are wider in proportion to their length.

Great find anyways.

Think i'll pick one of these up to see how it develops.

noy is offline   Reply With Quote