Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

Rhizos or bust

Got a line on a rhizo for sale, and at the cost associated, I thought I would ask if these are the real deal. Thanks

Unread 10/14/2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

Think I found my answer a few posts down, and I thought these looked to thin, and not that football shape. Some sort of Monomyces I believe now.

Unread 10/14/2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Nemato
Registered Member

They are flabellids such as Rhizotrochus, the same family.

I would love to put my hands on one or two Monomyces. You are so lucky, I have been loocking for them for a while and can't not find them where I live...

I would take it if I have any possibility.

Last edited by Nemato; 10/14/2014 at 11:36 AM.
Nemato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

Would you pay $300 per?

Unread 10/14/2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Nemato
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked View Post
Would you pay $300 per?
Years back, when people were talking about 200 or 300 per rhizo, I just found one but for 90. What I want to say is that prices can vary and sometimes are inflated.

I dunno how much a monomyces go for, but given my difficulties to find some... Yep I would pay. Will look extremely cool in my azoox tank hehe

Unread 10/16/2014, 01:04 PM   #6
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked View Post
Would you pay $300 per?
They're not even close to rhizos and are sure not worth rhizo money imo. To give you an idea they're paying about $30 for them from suppliers and a lot of stores have these or have access to them right now, anything over $80 is shamelessly unethical, but again that's just my opinion. If you feel comfortable paying 1,000% markup to a place that purposely mislabeled Monomyces to get more money out of you then it's worth what you're willing to pay for it.

You can also try going to a good (ethical) LFS in your area and have them ask their suppliers about "Balanyphyllia," it's what they're being sold as from the wholesalers who have them at the moment. Or you can have them email those pics to their suppliers so they can check.

Unread 10/17/2014, 01:08 AM   #7
Nemato
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
They're not even close to rhizos and are sure not worth rhizo money imo. To give you an idea they're paying about $30 for them from suppliers and a lot of stores have these or have access to them right now, anything over $80 is shamelessly unethical, but again that's just my opinion. If you feel comfortable paying 1,000% markup to a place that purposely mislabeled Monomyces to get more money out of you then it's worth what you're willing to pay for it.

You can also try going to a good (ethical) LFS in your area and have them ask their suppliers about "Balanyphyllia," it's what they're being sold as from the wholesalers who have them at the moment. Or you can have them email those pics to their suppliers so they can check.
If you see that in this way, paying it for a rhizo it's a shame too. They are over over over priced

And if they are close or not, they are both in the family Flabellidae. Don't think that price is a good way for classifying species.

And for 'ethical' LFS. Or they are purchasing from unethical majorists or they are extremely unethical, depending on if they know what they are getting or not. Mislabelling corals for trading them camouflaged with species with more cites quotas is by far the 'most ethical practise in this hobby'.

Last edited by Nemato; 10/17/2014 at 01:15 AM.
Unread 10/17/2014, 11:52 AM   #8
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemato View Post
If you see that in this way, paying it for a rhizo it's a shame too. They are over over over priced
but Rhizo's, when they were coming in, were about $150-200 wholesale for healthy ones whereas these are $30-50 wholesale.

Quote:
And for 'ethical' LFS. Or they are purchasing from unethical majorists or they are extremely unethical, depending on if they know what they are getting or not.
Well, considering wholesalers sell these as "balanophyllia" and any wholesaler who put "Rhizotrochus" on their stocklist would be pretty much guaranteeing a full day visit from the department of fish and wildlife, it's probably not a toss-up as to who is doing the name changing.

Unread 10/17/2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Nemato
Registered Member

'but Rhizo's, when they were coming in, were about $150-200 wholesale for healthy ones whereas these are $30-50 wholesale.'

Ok, talking about Europe. But got mine for 90$ on sale and healthy, and I can tell you they did not loose money. Most of what I've seen here were near 170, with some more expensive with same colour and pattern.

It's just the same that happen with all, how many are available and how demmanded they are. There was and incredible fever with acans, and their prices were incredibly high. Now they are much more cheaper, even the rare acan maxima.

Unread 10/19/2014, 05:40 AM   #10
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

The fact that I couldn't get pics with polyps out a bit more was a no deal for me anyways. Thanks guys for all the info.