Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/14/2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Misled
RC Mod

"Wood" picture thread

Post them here!!!

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon rimless Deep Blue lagoon
Misled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

Veneer I'm using on a setof speakers I'm building.

Old 11/14/2014, 10:21 PM   #3
toothybugs
In Memoriam

A teaser of my favorite hobby... A purpleheart reelseat and raw bamboo strips to a cane fly rod I built last fall.

toothybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2014, 09:51 AM   #4
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Jesse...

In a past life, I went down the DIY speaker rabbit hole... Hell, I even own the mostly defunct diyspeakers.net forum that was once the "bass list" Usenet group where many of the industry icons used to hang out. There is a pile of amazing information there in the Archive section and while there is very little traffic (almost none) many of the gurus still watch the list and answer questions when they see them.

I still have an Adire "Shiva" driver that I never built into a sub and a bunch of drivers (tang band and parts express) for the award winning Adire Audio "Bang!" speakers.

That is beautiful veneer Jesse. Have you dropped by JoeWoodworker.com to see the veneer press plans? I have a nice Ghast pump (another rabbit hole) but never completed the project.

In any case, I got nuthing for this thread but a few (grainy) iPhone photos of a bathroom built-in project. Here is the base for the cabinet and the router setup:

Stain (ML Campbell Wood Song II) was custom formulated by DSC in Carnegie to fully match existing vanity that this cabinet was built to match. Top coated with ML Campbell pre-cat lacquer sprayed on my back porch (eek) with an Astaro gravity gun (first time ever really sprayed anything). Freud raised panel bit was used for upper profile and a Rocker bullnose (checked) for the lower, then followed by a 1/8" quarter round over for the profile on the upper edge of the bullnose... PITA

All solid cherry (purchased from Mars Lumber in Mars PA) and built in my freezing cold "shop" (shed) with the trusty Kerosun heater and plenty of Dogfishead 90 (NEVER BEFORE! using router or TS) as a surprise Christmas present for the warden. Full height cabinet was lined with ceder T&G and 3 years later STILL HAS NO DOORS...

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2014, 03:19 PM   #5
JaYbIrD1969
Registered Member

Jesse. I am veneer junkie! Thats a beautiful sheet I really enjoy the burls and mostly get my supplies here... http://www.veneersupplies.com/catego...neer__A__-__G/

Youre killin me Nate. Beautiful!

Heres a few knives I made...

JaYbIrD1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2014, 04:58 PM   #6
toothybugs
In Memoriam

Do I see ... DAMASCUS STEEL?!

Old 11/16/2014, 07:59 AM   #7
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Or is that Valyrian steel...

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2014, 10:24 AM   #8
Misled
RC Mod

Very nice all!!! I have a conundrum. I was at the wood shop working a bit yesterday. The guy that owns it got a package from UPS and as he was opening it he called me over. As it un-rolled on the table, my mouth hit the floor. A bunch of very tightly figured Sapele Pommele!!!! We were discussing how the grain might look on the speakers since they are a bit small. He has plenty extra.

Old 11/16/2014, 11:59 AM   #9
JaYbIrD1969
Registered Member

Really Jesse? Are you talking veneer or solid? Both forms has always been a bit expensive for my blood (depending on the figure intensity) I got a small sample of some highly figured sepele pommele veneer and made a small cigar box with it. i put it on my site and it sold in about 10 minutes. LOL

Old 11/16/2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Misled
RC Mod

This is a little 4" X 6" piece I brought home. It was from the outer packing to identify so it was beat up. Name your finishing please.

Old 11/16/2014, 08:34 PM   #11
Misled
RC Mod

Jay, I forgot to also say it's a veneer. He has 15 large sheets. Can do my speakers with one sheet, but he'll cut what he needs for the original project, (a serving table). I'll use scrap pieces. Ok, not a lot of pics, but some quality wood. Pick a winner Jay!!!

Old 11/16/2014, 09:26 PM   #12
JaYbIrD1969
Registered Member

I gotta go with Nate. Toothybug. Its not really fair cause he knows what I like. Exotic wood and flyfishing aside from that, l like the effort he put in . I do wish there were more entries being the woodaholic that I am

Old 11/16/2014, 09:29 PM   #13
JaYbIrD1969
Registered Member

To answer a couple questions, the knife on the right is Damascus and I finish most of my fly fishing products and cigar boxes with spar

Old 11/16/2014, 10:00 PM   #14
toothybugs
In Memoriam

Whoo!

Well, I thought about going with something technical and seeing what you could do with that ("High ISO - 3200 or Higher" with my debacles/ learning on nighttime shooting) but I really liked the turnout with the Animals thread, so I'm going to ask us all for something fun.

Candids.

The thought came from playing with settings and built-in filters on my anniversary weekend, and the Missus was reaching for something when I clicked this one:

Ignore the ugly guy in the background.

Old 11/16/2014, 10:13 PM   #15
JaYbIrD1969
Registered Member

Is it just me or does " the missus" look like Tina Fey?

Old 11/17/2014, 05:06 AM   #16
toothybugs
In Memoriam

You aren't the first to say that!

Old 11/21/2014, 09:34 PM   #17
Misled
RC Mod

"Candid" picture thread