Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: if you have kept a blue spot jawfish how long did it survive
3 months or less 20 31.25%
3 to 9 months 14 21.88%
9 months to 2 years 16 25.00%
2 years + 17 26.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07/21/2017, 09:36 AM   #451
xoomer
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitodog View Post
Please accept my sympathy regarding Maddy. I had to put my 11 year old Boxer down this past September. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
11 and a boxer, man this isn't getting easier. I'm cryin' ....at work.

I can't believe how much of a family member they become. It's depressing.

xoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2017, 02:11 PM   #452
Blue spot
Registered Member

So sorry to hear about puffer xoomer. I tell you one thing we did , which I am glad we did now . We took a lot of Maddy`s things, her bed , collar , favourite toy etc and sent them off to a company online , they sew it all up and you get back a blanket, cushion whatever you want realy. Sort of like a memory item . It's now an item we treasure in the house. You may think that's a bit weird , but ide never heard of it before and sometimes you are not sure what to do with everything around the house . You don't want to throw everything away but by the same token it's difficult looking at everything everywhere . Just putting it out their if it helps anyone.

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2017, 03:05 AM   #453
Blue spot
Registered Member

Can anyone help me with this question I have please ? Do squirrel fish eat other fish? Reason for asking I have lost a few of my smaller fish , no bodies , just gone . Looking in my tank the only fish of any size are a moorish , goldflake, 2 blue throats triggers , engineer goby and a white tail squirrel fish. Invert wise I have a pistol shrimp , a boxer shrimp and a very large sea anemone . I added 5 smaller fish 2 days ago 2 sand sifters, a spangled goby and 2 jewel blennies and this morning I have 2 jewel blennies left. They can't jump as the tank is covered. The only fish who showed any sign of aggression towards the new fish was the squirrel , hence the question .

Old 08/09/2017, 07:45 AM   #454
eastlake
Registered Member

First I'm sorry for the losses of your new fish. I'd say that the squirrel fish is likely the culprit. If memory serves the vast majority of squirrel fish are predatory and I'm guessing that if it can fit in its mouth it'll sample it. Did the squirrel fish look festively plump or very pleased with itself the day after the smaller fish went missing?

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/10/2017, 10:25 AM   #455
Blue spot
Registered Member

Cheers east , I am thinking the same thing , not sure about happy but he had wide eyes . Lol. The only other potential is the engineer goby who can be pretty vicious if you enter his spot. Now comes the next thing , how the hell am I going to catch this fish. It is very... very fast ! I've got a trap so we will see how that goes.
Apart from the above things in the tank are looking pretty good. Corals are doing particularly well which I'm realy pleased with as I have never had much luck keeping coral, yet alone growing ! The other thing is I have had no return of the byropsis yet. I am truly over the moon about this.

Old 08/15/2017, 04:10 PM   #456
Blue spot
Registered Member

Yet another confession on my part. I do not have a killer squirrel fish ��. All my fish are now accounted for. I think they must have just been settling in and hiding a little . In my defence it is a large tank

Old 08/27/2017, 05:23 AM   #457
Blue spot
Registered Member

Another update . I have just seen 2 little pieces of byropsis growing back . Not messed around with it. It's inside a barnacle so I have took it out . Gonna post so I have a record of when this stuff is returning after treatment , I think it's always around 3 months ? Everything else in the tank is doing well , I did have a low salt level for some reason last week , which has never happened before and at the same time magnesium dropped to realy low levels , put all this back to nominal but no idea why it went so far out of whack in the first place .

Old 08/27/2017, 10:59 AM   #458
dave.m
Registered Member

Why not remove the barnacle? It may be a source of pollution or the briopsis itself.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2017, 01:30 PM   #459
Blue spot
Registered Member

Gone Dave . Gobys can find a new home . Good thinking .

Old 11/05/2017, 04:34 PM   #460
Blue spot
Registered Member

Itís been a while since I have done an update . But for once everything has been uneventful ! I seem to have hit a fish tank sweet spot ! No problems , corals growing , fish healthy and breading. I donít know what to do with myself I will get some photos so you can see whatís happening .

Tags
8ft, blue spot, new tank, reef