Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2016, 03:05 PM   #1576
dave.m
Registered Member

I don't see the need for the blocks unless you are going minimal rocks and no sand in the display tank. The bacteria grow on just about every surface: rocks, sand, glass panes, interiors of pipes, etc. As South City noted above, if you are looking for bacterial denitrification filtering to occur at any useful rate then you will need an anaerobic environment such as the interior of live rock or a sand bed that is more than 2" thick, or the blocks if you haven't anything else.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2016, 08:20 PM   #1577
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

My gravel bed is about 3 inches. I guess I have no issues with my tank. Was just curious if they would be beneficial.

Unread 02/24/2016, 07:09 AM   #1578
corbosman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoaz View Post
I have an all in one Royal Exclusive Dreambox sump. Everything is in there- but no separate or additional refugium.
Was it made to exact specs, or did you buy one of their regular products? How were they to work with? Did you buy their skimmer as well? im also thinking of buying a dreambox as it seems like a real solid product.

corbosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 08:39 AM   #1579
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Corbosman- i bought the largest Dreambox they make and made some modifications- mainly the drains that bring water to the sump are on the side instead of on top because my skimmer is not under the tank- it's in a separate room. I think my dimensions are about 9 feet long, 3 feet deep and about 3 feet tall. I can get you exact measurements when I get home tonight. I can't say enough good things about the sump- it's built like a tank, it is extremely functional, gorgeous to look at and it just plain works. Here are a few photos:

Everything is housed in its own climate controlled room in the garage:

Unread 02/24/2016, 08:58 AM   #1580
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

BTW- the red stand I had fabricated on my own. And I put the glass panes into the doors in the fish room so when I drive home, I can check water levels and make sure everything is functioning ok with a quick glance. The sump is also lit up with LED lighting so that if my daughter comes home and feeds the fish, she changes the color of the sump from red to green, meaning the fish have been fed.

Unread 02/24/2016, 09:26 AM   #1581
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Here is a video of my sump room- no posted this earlier but no clue on which page so I'll post it again. Shows the entire set up:

And another:

Unread 02/24/2016, 09:26 AM   #1582
MelloW33
Registered Member

Quote:
The sump is also lit up with LED lighting so that if my daughter comes home and feeds the fish, she changes the color of the sump from red to green, meaning the fish have been fed.

That is awesome! She should do you a favor and change it to the current mood of your wife so you know what you're walking in to!

Unread 02/24/2016, 10:06 AM   #1583
cprice
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloW33 View Post
That is awesome! She should do you a favor and change it to the current mood of your wife so you know what you're walking in to!
MVP award for best idea so far!

cprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 01:46 PM   #1584
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

I have two teenage daughters. Their mood is 1000 times worse than my wifes will ever be.

Unread 02/24/2016, 03:12 PM   #1585
cprice
Moved On

How do your daughters feel knowing they have to downsize their future weddings now that you have this tank??

Unread 02/24/2016, 03:53 PM   #1586
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Who said anything about downsizing?

Unread 02/24/2016, 06:36 PM   #1587
rickztahone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice View Post
How do your daughters feel knowing they have to downsize their future weddings now that you have this tank??
Imagine how much he puts in to his aquarium, now imagine how much he'd spend on his kids?!?

rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 07:02 PM   #1588
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

I know we are joking around a bit but I want to be serious for a few moments. It's important to understand that I would never ever sacrifice my family or the necessities of life -food shelter water – to help fund a hobby. Everything that was done on the tank was done with discretionary dollars and it was not as if I went into debt to do it.

This is an important lesson in life as I see too many people leveraging their lives on credit cards and living beyond their means. I was a happy man making $16,000 a year back in the day and I'm a happy man now making more money. But at the end of the day I've managed to live my life without chasing frivolous items and trying to keep up with the Joneses.

I've been fortunate to have a great career and a great family and it's important to know that I've preserved enough to give my kids a great life in the future. However they will earn every bit of it and whatever I give them will just be gravy on top. At the end of the day it's important to be aware of your limitations and not go be on them so you can be happy and not just try to chase material goods.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy buying things like anyone else but never at the expense of stressing myself out and not being able to pay the bills. Ok carry on- soapbox over.

Unread 02/24/2016, 07:09 PM   #1589
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Ok carry on- soapbox over.
IMO... It's a shame that people even bring up the subject of someone's income/wealth... Those questions should not be allowed, the way politics and religion are taboo subjects

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 07:14 PM   #1590
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

First of all, I don't think any of the comments were meant in a nasty way, at least I didn't take them as such. But in reality, it doesn't bother me. I've done well financially- big deal. Doesn't make me any better than anyone else. I've lived life well off and I've struggled to pay bills monthly. Who hasn't?

At the end of the day I'm not ashamed of whatever little I've accumulated for my family. It's all relative. I know people that make 10 million a year who feel poor cause they were hanging out with people making 100 million a year buying islands.

Just worry about yourself and not worry about what others are doing. At the end of the day, every single person in the world except one has someone else who makes more money than them.

Unread 02/24/2016, 07:40 PM   #1591
MelloW33
Registered Member

Back on topic...I think you have plenty of live rock in the display and your sump that your pod population is going to explode over time. You may already be seeing some at night with a flashlight.

Unread 02/25/2016, 09:18 AM   #1592
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Quote:
I know we are joking around a bit but I want to be serious for a few moments. It's important to understand that I would never ever sacrifice my family or the necessities of life -food shelter water – to help fund a hobby. ...
Ok carry on- soapbox over.
Well said!

Unread 02/25/2016, 11:17 AM   #1593
cprice
Moved On

Quote:
I know we are joking around a bit but I want to be serious for a few moments. It's important to understand that I would never ever sacrifice my family or the necessities of life -food shelter water – to help fund a hobby. Everything that was done on the tank was done with discretionary dollars and it was not as if I went into debt to do it.

This is an important lesson in life as I see too many people leveraging their lives on credit cards and living beyond their means. I was a happy man making $16,000 a year back in the day and I'm a happy man now making more money. But at the end of the day I've managed to live my life without chasing frivolous items and trying to keep up with the Joneses.

I've been fortunate to have a great career and a great family and it's important to know that I've preserved enough to give my kids a great life in the future. However they will earn every bit of it and whatever I give them will just be gravy on top. At the end of the day it's important to be aware of your limitations and not go be on them so you can be happy and not just try to chase material goods.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy buying things like anyone else but never at the expense of stressing myself out and not being able to pay the bills. Ok carry on- soapbox over.
Just having a laugh never meant anything by it. I think those are sound principles and my wife and I try to always live below our means. I would never assume you were forgoing any sort of necessities for your family. I'll keep the sarcasm to a minimum

Unread 02/25/2016, 11:17 AM   #1594
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Honestly- I didnt take offense at all.

Unread 02/25/2016, 11:34 AM   #1595
TheClev
Registered Member

Been lurking for a while and just finished reading the entirety of the thread last night/today from beginning to end, and had to create an account to commend you on your journey. As others have said, beautiful house and tank!

Been out of the hobby for about 13 years and recently got the bug again and am trying to catch up on what's changed. While I most definitely won't be going that big any time soon, I admire the diligence and patience you've had in this process. Especially considering this was a "side" project to building a new house, wow just wow. Enjoy!

TheClev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2016, 05:50 PM   #1596
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Thank you so much. I learned a ton from all the great members here. Appreciate your kind words.

Unread 02/26/2016, 07:00 PM   #1597
rbarn
Registered Member

MarinePure ceramic media blocks are the best non-moving bio media on the market now, bar none. It's flow characteristics and surfaces are unmatched. It is the go to bio media these days for the koi guys, and those fish-junkies put reefers to shame.

If you're looking for some supplemental bio-surface area it is well worth it's price premium.

rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2016, 11:11 PM   #1598
frankabagnale
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
MarinePure ceramic media blocks are the best non-moving bio media on the market now, bar none. It's flow characteristics and surfaces are unmatched. It is the go to bio media these days for the koi guys, and those fish-junkies put reefers to shame.

If you're looking for some supplemental bio-surface area it is well worth it's price premium.
What's going on with your discus tank rbarn?

frankabagnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2016, 12:02 PM   #1599
Acrononomus
Registered Member

What an amazing thread! Great attention to detail .....!

Acrononomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2016, 12:07 AM   #1600
Brian Crook
Registered Member

All I can say is wow! Just started into this thread. Great build and awesome house! I'll be keeping up on this one.

Brian Crook is offline   Reply With Quote