Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2015, 01:40 PM   #1
DaveRaz
Reef Rookie

Protein skimmer waste

We compost for backyard garden and wondering if dumping this waste in the compost bin would be ok. Seems legit. Anyone else do this?

Edit to say. DOCs are obviously good for plants right? You see plush growth along streams and rivers and this is why, I premise. Obviously in addition to the water.

Last edited by DaveRaz; 02/15/2015 at 01:49 PM.
DaveRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2015, 05:06 PM   #2
viper12775
Registered Member

I'm sure it would have a high salt content I'm not sure if it would hurt plants you use the compost on

viper12775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2015, 08:08 PM   #3
sreefs
Registered Member

The salt is not good for most plants. I would not use it for that.

Current Tank Info: 225 Coast To Coast SPS reef. T5 lighting
sreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2015, 08:19 PM   #4
kegogut
Registered Member

Ive used it for fertilizer in my plants for years with no ill effects. Well,just the outside plants as the smell in the house should be considered an ill effect. At least it is in the wife's eyes!

The salt content can be high in it but if you dilute it with water when feeding plants or your dumping it in a compost pile the salt content is negligible.

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2015, 09:08 PM   #5
sreefs
Registered Member

I know several people that use it to kill weeds and grass in there patio and drive ways. So I would not use it to feed plants. IMO
Many plants can not tolerate any salt in the soil or water.

Unread 02/15/2015, 10:07 PM   #6
sabo
Registered Member

I dump all my waste water on the lawn. Was wondering if it would kill it. Hasn't done any harm at all.

sabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2015, 10:41 PM   #7
silverarrow27
Registered Member

I use the skimmate on the lawn, plants, and flowers with no ill-effects either. Been doing it for a couple years now.

Current Tank Info: None
silverarrow27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2015, 04:00 AM   #8
kegogut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreefs View Post
I know several people that use it to kill weeds and grass in there patio and drive ways. So I would not use it to feed plants. IMO
Many plants can not tolerate any salt in the soil or water.
I dont think this is true.

Skimmate wont kill grass or weeds. Ive been dumping it into my plants for years and nothing has EVER died.

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
Unread 02/16/2015, 08:42 AM   #9
sreefs
Registered Member

I guess it has to do with the type of plant, but I know many plants can not take any salt in there water. Do as you please and if you see no negative results keep on.

Unread 02/18/2015, 02:00 PM   #10
Zooxanthus
Registered Member

plants do well with small amounts of salt. I was thinking of this same thing only to use on my hydroponic garden. I was going to wash it with fresh water and let the plankton settle and pour out the water, this should get most of the salt out.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal Reef 3x 250w HQI's w/T5's, Phosban reactor, Protein skimmer, UV. sterilizer, Trickle Filter
Zooxanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2015, 02:21 PM   #11
kegogut
Registered Member

What I usually do is pour my skimmer cup into a 5g bucket and then fill up the bucket with 3 or so gallons of water and then water my pants with that. I've never had any problems with plants having negative effects.

Unread 02/18/2015, 02:29 PM   #12
Zooxanthus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegogut View Post
What I usually do is pour my skimmer cup into a 5g bucket and then fill up the bucket with 3 or so gallons of water and then water my pants with that. I've never had any problems with plants having negative effects.
you actually water your pants? I have not tried that yet lol j/k

Current Tank Info: 180 gal Reef 3x 250w HQI's w/T5's, Phosban reactor, Protein skimmer, UV. sterilizer, Trickle Filter
Zooxanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2015, 07:00 PM   #13
dogface 13
Registered Member

i've put it in the same spot in the grass and don't notice anything dieing etc...

dogface 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2015, 03:11 PM   #14
Mishri
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabo View Post
I dump all my waste water on the lawn. Was wondering if it would kill it. Hasn't done any harm at all.
Once it builds up and reaches the roots you'll see some serious issues with your lawn.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07227.html

You are likely within salt tolerance for the type of lawn you have, but eventually your grass wont be so green, then it will barely green up.. then it will just be dead. It can take awhile.

I wouldn't use it in composte. given enough salt build up you'll start having problems... now, it is a small fraction of your composte, so it's possible it wont be a problem. I just see no reason to risk it.

I actually ran into nitrate build up from emptying high nitrate water onto my lawn and fertilizing too much...a good lawn is difficult to maintain, especially once you screw it up.

Unread 02/27/2015, 05:20 PM   #15
g0rilla
Registered Member.

maybe your plants have become salt tolerant after years of getting skimate dumped on them !

g0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote