Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2015, 11:01 AM   #1
noy
Registered Member

Sponge propagation

I bought a small blue sponge a few months ago

IMG_2033

it was a broken frag from a larger colony. I didn't have a lot of experience with sponges so just wanted to see how this one would work out.

Just today I noticed that there is some propagation and tiny patches of blue sponges growing in different parts of the tank.

Spongepropjpg

The crud on it is from the maintenance I was doing (disturbing the substrate). This patch is about 2 feet from the original colony. Will be keeping an eye on this to see - didn't realize sponges propagated this way.

noy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2015, 06:26 AM   #2
jmareef1022
Registered Member

If you could get that to spread that would be awesome. .I also have a small piece the size of a quarter that I have in a rock Aswell... it has the color but just can't get it to grow....very nice

jmareef1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2015, 06:53 PM   #3
jmowbray
Registered Member

Can I get a cutting? lol I have been trying to find someone local that has a blue spong with no luck.

jmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2015, 09:08 AM   #4
noy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
Can I get a cutting? lol I have been trying to find someone local that has a blue spong with no luck.
Ha ha, don't think it will be worth the expense of getting any necessary export/CITES permits for this (or even shipping for that matter). I'm in Canada.

Unread 03/09/2015, 04:41 PM   #5
Reef Frog
Registered Member

I've found the ball and finger sponges to be very hard to keep even in a mature tank that grows other "volunteer" sponges. But I've seen a blue sponge like yours advertised from trustworthy vendors on line as being "hardy", and that seems true possibly since yours looks excellent and is multiplying.

Are you doing anything special to keep it? Like additives or food? Could you describe your tank conditions, nutrient levels etc? Do you run GFO or carbon, or do you carbon dose?

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2015, 08:45 PM   #6
noy
Registered Member

i really don't do anything special for the sponge. The tank has a lot of sun corals so I feed those regularly and dose phyto 2x a week. High nutrients. PO4 between 0.06 to 0.1. I run a lot of GFO. Carbon in a bag. I did carbon dose (Nitraguard) but not in the last 4 months.

Unread 03/11/2015, 05:41 PM   #7
Reef Frog
Registered Member

Thanks noy. Do you know the species name or common name used in the SW hobby? Do you know (or think) this blue sponge is photosynthetic or NPS?

Do you think it might work in a T5-lit, mixed reef (LPS/non AcropiaSPS, Suns/Dendro) with PO4 ~.04. Or do you think your richer water and phyto feeding is the key to success? Thanks for tolerating all the questions!

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2015, 08:28 PM   #8
noy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Frog View Post
Thanks noy. Do you know the species name or common name used in the SW hobby? Do you know (or think) this blue sponge is photosynthetic or NPS?

Do you think it might work in a T5-lit, mixed reef (LPS/non AcropiaSPS, Suns/Dendro) with PO4 ~.04. Or do you think your richer water and phyto feeding is the key to success? Thanks for tolerating all the questions!
No problems with questions - think that's how we all learn.

Haliclona sp. I looked through a marine species registry but couldn't narrow down the species. That particular genus has a very diverse number of species.

I've been told and have read its photosynthetic but I am fairly sure it derives a large part of its food requirements from filter feeding, i.e., it won't make it on light alone. I would characterize it as NPS with the ability to supplement via photosynthesis (although not necessarily via zooxanthellae).

I think the rich nutrient environment with specific phyto supplementation is much more important than the lighting requirement. Mine is in a moderate light environment - T5 (6x54w) with LED supplementation (Kessils). I keep large Tangs in the same tank and they feed on Nori sheets and NLS pellets (pm). I really think the fish waste from a plant diet is a significant contributor to success.

I think it require moderate to good flow to ensure a steady supply of nutrient rich water.

Unread 03/23/2015, 06:41 AM   #9
Nembo
Registered Member

Hi,i've had this blue sponge in my display tank for the last 4 years or more.It isn't a fast grower but it is a steady grower.I've moved it once from it's original rock to a new position and it has regrown in the original so now I have 2 blue sponges.
I have noticed it grows as a bright blue colour under strong lighting and it also grows a lot faster so I believe it to be photosynthetic and producing a fair amount of it's food requirements from the lighting.The other piece growing in lower light levels has gradually darkened to more of a purple and grows much slower.
I feed the tank with live phyto every day and also add fauna marine ultra seafan for a non photo gorgonian I have.

Nembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2016, 07:41 PM   #10
Nick James
Registered Member

***Hijack alert***

I was looking to find info on propogating the smaller encrusting sponges you find as hitchhikers on love rock. I want to share it with my brother in law who started with mostly dry live rock and I think it would be beneficial for him to have in his tank.

Here are some photos of the various sponges I have growing. The cryptic dark purple and brown looking sponges that hide underneath are not included but they are plentiful in my rock.

Can any of these sponges be easily propagated?

Nick James is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 06:33 AM   #11
noy
Registered Member

The yellow ones look like Clathrina.

I find a lot of the ones that occur as hitchhikers "propagate" based on your tank's nutrient situation. They seem to do better in mature systems. So while they may seem rampant in your environment there is no guarantee they will survive in a different setup - especially a newer one.

My blue sponge is still kicking. Not a whole lot of growth though.

Unread 02/11/2016, 04:59 PM   #12
Nick James
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noy View Post
The yellow ones look like Clathrina.

I find a lot of the ones that occur as hitchhikers "propagate" based on your tank's nutrient situation. They seem to do better in mature systems. So while they may seem rampant in your environment there is no guarantee they will survive in a different setup - especially a newer one.

My blue sponge is still kicking. Not a whole lot of growth though.
Thanks for the response Noy. I am coming up your way Saturday morning to pick up a branching Cyphastrea frag.

Nick James is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2016, 10:20 PM   #13
Wonton Soup
Registered Member

I have successfully propagated a number of sponges within my own tank. I've never given any to other aquarists to see if they'd continue growing for them.

I just use a clean Xacto blade and slice a protruding portion of the sponge and relocate it in my tank, in a location similar to where I found it growing.
One crucial thing, in my mind, is to not remove it from the water if possible as air trapped inside the sponge can potentially prevent parts of it from receiving food.

I now have a number of different kinds of sponge growing throughout my tank. I imagine the same technique could be used to trade sponge to someone else. I'd probably try to trade entire rocks though, instead of a frag plug.

Wonton Soup is offline   Reply With Quote