Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

New gigentia anemone

I just thought I would post up some pictures of my new anemone I picked up today from the Lfs. My 2 clownfish took to it within 5 min it's of it being in the tank

Ma_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

Unread 03/24/2015, 05:41 PM   #3
D-Nak
Registered Member

Do you have QT tank ready to go?

Unread 03/24/2015, 05:51 PM   #4
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Do you have QT tank ready to go?
Yes

Unread 03/24/2015, 06:10 PM   #5
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma_reefer View Post
Yes
Great -- if you see the clowns trying to force their way into the nem's mouth, remove the nem and place it in the QT tank.

IMO, the initial photos show a sick anemone that needs to be treated, but it could just be stressed and not fully acclimated. I don't think the clowns are helping the process.

Unread 03/24/2015, 06:13 PM   #6
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

Okay thank you for the heads up I will keep an eye on them. It's hard to tell in some of the photos but the tenticles look fully inflated just not the disk if that makes sense

Unread 03/24/2015, 06:31 PM   #7
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

When I put the anemone in the tank it was super sticky, I could feel it's tenticles sticking to the glove. Which is a good sign I hope?

Unread 03/24/2015, 06:34 PM   #8
addictedreefer
Registered Member

Oh lord. That's one sick puppy. If you don't see dramatic improvement by morning you need to pull and treat. Get everything ready in the meantime.

addictedreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2015, 06:39 PM   #9
addictedreefer
Registered Member

Also, gigs need to attach to the rock, typically near the rock/sand interface. Ordinarily, I would advise to move it to a more a suitable location, but beacsuse I am confident you will need to treat, that is not a good idea. In the meantime I'd place a rock near him that he can attach to but that you can easily remove when necessary.

Unread 03/24/2015, 06:50 PM   #10
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedreefer View Post
Also, gigs need to attach to the rock, typically near the rock/sand interface. Ordinarily, I would advise to move it to a more a suitable location, but beacsuse I am confident you will need to treat, that is not a good idea. In the meantime I'd place a rock near him that he can attach to but that you can easily remove when necessary.
I think my pictures don't show it correctly they make it look much more deflated and stringy in the tenticles. Than it is. I moved a rock next to it like you suggested. I was mistaken I thought they liked the sand like haddoni I was hoping it would attach its food to the bottom glass it's opened up to probably 7" and it's ruffled looking on half the other side where I pushed the rock up towards seems irritated

Unread 03/24/2015, 07:05 PM   #11
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

I hope these photos show it better, please advise me on if you think it needs treatment, thank you

Unread 03/24/2015, 09:40 PM   #12
clorox
Registered Member

If it hasn't attached yet I would place it directly on a small rock and see if it attaches. It is likely just stressed because you placed it on the sand. Like others said, if it deflates, pull it out and treat right away.

One other thing....gigs need consistent flow and it appears that you have very little especially since it's on the sand.

clorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2015, 09:51 PM   #13
OrionN
Moved on

I agree with clorox. He type it first.
That anemone is either very sick or very newly place in aquarium.
I would start treat him if he look like that 12 hrs after in your tank.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2015, 09:58 PM   #14
blackwagon
Registered Member

Is that the same nem in the basket? How old is your tank? Whats your flow look like?

My sand can't even stay on my sandbed let alone a blob of water.

blackwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 03:10 AM   #15
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwagon View Post
Is that the same nem in the basket? How old is your tank? Whats your flow look like?

My sand can't even stay on my sandbed let alone a blob of water.
The nem in the basket is the photo the Lfs sent me. My tank is 13 months old, in the photos all pumps are off I'm using my iPad to take them and I can't get it to focus with them on, about 900gph return pump a maxspect gyre 130 I believe (the smaller of the two) and 1 vortech mp10

Edit: it did attach to the rock I placed next to it last nite

Last edited by Ma_reefer; 03/25/2015 at 03:34 AM.
Unread 03/25/2015, 05:35 AM   #16
OrionN
Moved on

You should take the photo with everything is normal so we can see how it is actually.
Gigantea like to attach his foot in a crevice to hide his foot, rather than a horizontal exposed rock. Put a irregular rock on top of your rock and he likely like it better and stay put.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 03/25/2015, 02:25 PM   #17
addictedreefer
Registered Member

Any update today?

Unread 03/25/2015, 04:38 PM   #18
Jrsdaddy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedreefer View Post
Any update today?
Hate to say it but it's probably dead or close to it, judging from the pics it didn't look very healthy or happy.

Jrsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 04:47 PM   #19
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsdaddy View Post
Hate to say it but it's probably dead or close to it, judging from the pics it didn't look very healthy or happy.
If treatment began it could bounce back.

Unread 03/25/2015, 04:51 PM   #20
Jrsdaddy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
If treatment began it could bounce back.
I agree 100% but the OP seems like he didn't want to believe it was sick.

Jrsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 07:25 AM   #21
addictedreefer
Registered Member

I hope OP will at least keep us posted . . .

Unread 03/27/2015, 03:23 AM   #22
Ma_reefer
Registered Member

sorry I haven't been updated this in 2 days the nem had to go to qt I started a cipro treatment yesterday morning( I know your supposed to start before nite, but I wanted to observe it in qt without the clownfish) it was pretty mad last night, but I did a water change and did the second dose of cipro

Unread 03/27/2015, 05:30 AM   #23
OrionN
Moved on

Do a lot of water change. If it deflates or if the water is cloudy, then change it as soon as you can and add new antibiotic.
BTW, the picture the LFS send you is not the picture of your anemone. Your anemone is much too small. If you just do a rough tentacles count you will see that your anemone is not the same as the one pictured.

Unread 03/27/2015, 08:38 AM   #24
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Do a lot of water change. If it deflates or if the water is cloudy, then change it as soon as you can and add new antibiotic.
BTW, the picture the LFS send you is not the picture of your anemone. Your anemone is much too small. If you just do a rough tentacles count you will see that your anemone is not the same as the one pictured.
I was actually thinking the same thing...

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 09:15 AM   #25
REEFBUILDER1
Registered Member

Time to dump that lfs

REEFBUILDER1 is offline   Reply With Quote