Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/03/2015, 05:55 PM   #1
banthonyb71
Registered Member

Sponge my take over the reefs?

http://theconversation.com/sponge-v-...w-battle-40927

Just found this article when I was searching for a certain thread. Something must be done about over fishing. or all the corals will be in our aquariums.

banthonyb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/04/2015, 05:44 PM   #2
billsreef
10 & Over Club

It's not just sponge growth, but also macro algae growth (probably more so the algae) that is causing problems from overgrowth due to loss of grazers...primarily Parrot Fish which are targeted in many Caribbean Island fisheries.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2015, 06:33 PM   #3
Timfish
Registered Member

I would encourage you to read Forest Rohwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" The big problem with reefs is the over fishing of the sharks (makes up 85% of the fish biomass {and provides a lot of poop loaded with phosphates, uric acid [nitrogen], calcium and magnesium carbonate crystals for corals to feed on}) then the big herbivores as Billsreef pointed out. Sponges are critical for converting the DOC released by algae into DIC used by corals. Unfortunately when the big herbivores are fished out that leaves a lot more algae releasing a lot more DOC for the sponges spurring their growth to deal with it. (And skimmers don't do much for DOC, do your water changes!)

Old 05/09/2015, 02:02 AM   #4
Azedenkae
Registered Member

Well... it may not be all that bad. Sponge reefs used to be very common millions of years ago, and served similar purposes anyways, to coral reefs. :3

Azedenkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2015, 08:12 AM   #5
CoralReefBoffin
Moved On

Amen to the post about overfishing Sharks as a MAJOR, yet often overlooked (very unfortu ate), reason why the Oceans are doing so poorly so rapidly as of late ... "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" is definitely an excellent book, which I would highly recommend for anyone with a University/Research reading level

CoralReefBoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2015, 08:14 AM   #6
CoralReefBoffin
Moved On

Azedenkae. Please don't be one of those; perpetuating the "well, its all fine, things used to be that way before ... Yea, and the Planet was once run by dinosaurs ... C'mon now people !

Old 05/09/2015, 09:34 AM   #7
CoralReefBoffin
Moved On

And if you're one offended (get a grip) by that post, you likely are a part of the problem. Cause a change in thinking/behavior, and be a part of the solution ...

Old 05/10/2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Azedenkae
Registered Member

Gee I thought my intentions would be obvious with a ':3' at the end, but guess not. >_>

Azedenkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/10/2015, 07:50 PM   #9
billsreef
10 & Over Club

We keep telling Doug and Jason to install that sarcasm font

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote