Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2015, 07:49 PM   #1
pigskin018
Registered Member

Moving live rock

So I was just about to add cool fish after the boring cycling and found I'm moving back to MN from Louisiana.

So my question is how would a person transfer live rock with out killing everything? Also I can't move into my new place for a month after the move so it's going to need to be stored for that time.

Would filling up a 55 gallon barrel with the tank water and having it sit in there be ok? Would be able to have power head but no light really. It's going to be in the dark so I feel like I'm screwed and might just be better off not using a barrel or any water and then reseed rock once I'm all set up again.

Idk... any input would be appreciated

pigskin018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2015, 08:55 AM   #2
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

You could keep the 'live' rock live with the barrel, pump, water and heat. Lots of work to set up.

You could also just dry it and start over when you are settled in. Much less work and easier/lighter to move.

For me, I'd choose the latter. There is enough to deal with moving to be babysitting some rock! On second thought, I'd sell/give away the rock so I don't have to move it!

Unread 06/11/2015, 01:11 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

Wrap it in wet newspaper for the move, granted it's about 24 hours. The evaporation will keep it cool, which is good, (slows down chemical processes)---and if you just plunk it into a Rubbermaid Brute trashcan with salt water and high aeration from the bottom (drop an aeration plate or wand down to the bottom and let 'er rip on high---or run your return pump and roil it up to turn that water over continually, should be ok. Keep it cool---the dark is not a problem for the rock. High temperature is. 70's, even low 70's would be just fine. Watch your salinity, do a couple of small water changes, should work.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2015, 08:07 PM   #4
pigskin018
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I think I'll just put all in the barrel and hope for the best. Using air stone and powerhead hopefully that works.

At worst everything dies and I reseed like woody said.

Unread 06/22/2015, 02:42 PM   #5
birdfish
Premium Member

I would move it dry - by which I mean wrapped in saltwater-wetted newspaper.
Then once there, put it in the barrel, and like the others say, low on the temps,
high on circulation, and if any way to put just a little light on it a few hours a
day it would be great, but you don't want a full light cycle when no snails and
tangs on it. The partial water-change or two is a good idea as well.

birdfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2015, 03:42 PM   #6
pigskin018
Registered Member

Thanks bird. I already got all rock in a 55 gallon barrel with a 3100 gph pump running all day. Will be moving in a week and then I have to store the rock for another 2 or 3 weeks. So hopefully I don't get too much lose..

Unread 07/03/2015, 11:07 PM   #7
Wsufan18
Registered Member

I had brutes packed full in my garage for over a month. Just circ pump and lids on. Transferred when new tank came and no dead, no cycle. Reused the water too. Good luck!

Wsufan18 is offline   Reply With Quote