Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/30/2015, 04:32 AM   #1
GPHowell
Registered Member

Question Linking external filters

I have a 350 L reef aquarium that's about 2 years old. I run two external filters (no sump or skimmer)- 1 Eheim pro filled with mechanical/bio media etc and 1 Eheim classic with nitrate and phosphate absorber, carbon etc. The Eheim pro has an inline heater and UV steriliser fitted on the return.

I currently run the two pumps as completely separate units but would like to link them in parallel so I can tidy up the various tubing etc. The Eheim pro uses 16/22 tubing and the classic uses 12/16 tubing. I was thinking about having single, say, 20mm PVC inlets and returns with suitably sized y-pieces and hose nozzles splitting off from each to the two filters.

So, questions:
The pumps are obviously different powers so is there a danger of the bigger pump forcing flow back into the smaller pump and damaging it?

Should I use non-return valves to protect one or both of the pumps?

Does anyone have a diagram of a similar setup that is working well?

Is the whole thing a bad idea?

PS- I know a lot of people frown on the use of external filters and not sumps/skimmers for reef aquaria but I'd rather avoid that topic here! It's working for me over the last couple of years!

Thanks

GPHowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2015, 07:48 AM   #2
Shawn O
Registered Member

Would imagine running the more powerful unit first. Plump the exiting water through a T fitting with a gate valve (to bleed off excess pressure) then through the weaker pump.

>Stronger pump>T fitting w/gate valve>weaker pump>exit.

Current Tank Info: 55gal tank, sumpless, ReefOctopus Classic 90, Twin bulb T5.
Shawn O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2015, 09:11 AM   #3
GPHowell
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn O View Post
Would imagine running the more powerful unit first. Plump the exiting water through a T fitting with a gate valve (to bleed off excess pressure) then through the weaker pump.

>Stronger pump>T fitting w/gate valve>weaker pump>exit.
Thanks for the suggestion. That would have the two pumps connected in series though, right? I think that will negatively reduce the overall filtration performance...

Unread 06/30/2015, 09:48 AM   #4
Shawn O
Registered Member

No clue on filtration performance, I was only considering the pump performance and keeping pressure reduced on the 2nd pump. It should still work, given that you're removing large solids in the first and fine solids in the second.

Otherwise, split with a Y fitting to each canister. I would imagine, if you're splitting total pressure between two canisters in parallel, the pressure would be greatly decreased going to either. This may or may not not give you enough pressure to the first, if it's needed. It's worth a shot if you're trying to reduce the number of pumps and the electricity consumption. The worst that can happen is you have to go back to using two pumps.

Current Tank Info: 55gal tank, sumpless, ReefOctopus Classic 90, Twin bulb T5.
Shawn O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2015, 11:24 AM   #5
GPHowell
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn O View Post
No clue on filtration performance, I was only considering the pump performance and keeping pressure reduced on the 2nd pump. It should still work, given that you're removing large solids in the first and fine solids in the second.

Otherwise, split with a Y fitting to each canister. I would imagine, if you're splitting total pressure between two canisters in parallel, the pressure would be greatly decreased going to either. This may or may not not give you enough pressure to the first, if it's needed. It's worth a shot if you're trying to reduce the number of pumps and the electricity consumption. The worst that can happen is you have to go back to using two pumps.
thanks, Shawn - I don't think I stated very clearly in the post that I intend to keep both pumps powered (I want to maintain the current flow across the filters) but just reduce the amount of pipework...

cheers

Unread 06/30/2015, 05:14 PM   #6
ericarenee
Registered Member

I think If i am understanding your Question as wanting less clutter in the back of the tank. I see no reason why you could not run each of the return to tank lines Next to each other. Then right before they each go over the top Connect them into a wye pipe Just be sure you go say from 2 -1 1/2 inch pipes to a single 1 or 1/2 inch Return Nozel.. That way each pump will be pushing its OWN Water from the Canister to the tank Top Rim..
In theory it should work.... I say Trial and Error. I do not think you will damage the pumps experimenting to find the best solution...

ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2015, 03:23 AM   #7
GPHowell
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
I think If i am understanding your Question as wanting less clutter in the back of the tank. I see no reason why you could not run each of the return to tank lines Next to each other. Then right before they each go over the top Connect them into a wye pipe Just be sure you go say from 2 -1 1/2 inch pipes to a single 1 or 1/2 inch Return Nozel.. That way each pump will be pushing its OWN Water from the Canister to the tank Top Rim..
In theory it should work.... I say Trial and Error. I do not think you will damage the pumps experimenting to find the best solution...
That sounds like a good plan. I tend to enjoy a bit of trial and error...

thanks

Unread 07/01/2015, 07:58 AM   #8
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHowell View Post
That sounds like a good plan. I tend to enjoy a bit of trial and error...

thanks
Good Luck and HAPPY Dry Floors. I know mine would not be .GRRR...

ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote