Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/07/2015, 01:31 PM   #1
yankeeslover
Registered Member

General food questions.. and interested in a scooter blemmy

right now in my 46 gallon tank i have two clown fish and a gramma.. also have multiple cleanup crew... tank is of course fully cycled and going good with live rock. My LFS has two awsome looking scooter blemmys left... he states he has never had an issue with any scooters eating(like i always read) and that they eat brime shrimp with ease... for my questions.
I feed my existing fish omega one flake food or small pellet food twice per day... and then couple days per week i will supliment with brine or mysis shrimp.. If i go with the blemmy, is it ok to feed frozen shrimp once per day? my LFS says to go 100% frozen and only feed once per day...he says to go between mysis, brime shimp and emerald entree... only feed once per day and get off the flake food completly.. Is this good advice? my clowns and royal actually love those omega one small sinking pellets..eat them up like crazy.. but should I stop this and only go once feeding per day with frozen?
and as far as the blemmys, are they hard to spot feed with a turkey baster? anyways, what other kinds of frozen food are good with my selection? if your wondering im using a skimmer for filtration.. I do not have anytype of sump...thanks..

yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 01:42 PM   #2
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

I would hold off on the bleeny until your tank starts producing a fair amount of pods. My little guy hunts all day for food, but my current tank is almost 5yrs old and can handle his constant feeding.

Unread 07/07/2015, 01:55 PM   #3
gone fishin
Registered Member

Dragonets will eat frozen food. The problem is they usually get outcompeted for the food. Also, frozen is not their primary food source. Personally I would not give much chance of long term success for let alone a pair. The link may be of some use to you. Just my two cents worth.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2495138

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 03:24 PM   #4
CStrickland
Registered Member

Also, don't mistake a pod explosion during the first few months for a mature tank. About 2 months in my tank was crawling with pods, and then they balanced out to not very many at all. If I were you I'd wait (and kick the guy at your lfs in his shins )

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 03:29 PM   #5
yankeeslover
Registered Member

how do i get

Pods to start in my tank? and how will i know they started?

Unread 07/07/2015, 04:08 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

See the commentary among the stickies re mandarins. Scooters are smaller, but they're not a blenny: they're a dragonet, just like the mandys, and have a lot of the same problems in a tank that doesn't' have a mature (as in year old) fuge.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 04:40 PM   #7
yankeeslover
Registered Member

Crap guys... I just made my first boo boo with this tank... I just drove the 1.5 hrs to the fish store and purchased the scooter.. i didnt have a chance to really read my own thread.. So should I now expect this blemmy to slowly rot away? oh boy.... store is 1.5 hrs each way... OUCH... i did pick up some frozen cyclops, and frozen emerald entrees.. and some more frozen mysis...
as far as my other questions, is it ok to feed frozen food twice per day and get rid of the flakes? or are the flakes ok? plus should i feed once or twice per day?

Unread 07/07/2015, 07:04 PM   #8
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone fishin View Post
Dragonets will eat frozen food. The problem is they usually get outcompeted for the food. Also, frozen is not their primary food source. Personally I would not give much chance of long term success for let alone a pair. The link may be of some use to you. Just my two cents worth.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2495138
This. Multiple feedings will help but dragonets are:
+ poor competitors
+ eat constantly

As such, especially in a newish tank, the odds of success are poor.

Unread 07/07/2015, 08:18 PM   #9
CStrickland
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
Crap guys... I just made my first boo boo with this tank... I just drove the 1.5 hrs to the fish store and purchased the scooter
It wasn't too far to drive when you wanted to buy it, not too far to drive to return it so it won't starve in your care. I don't see any reason why you would keep it, rather than do whatever you must to make your "first boo boo" right. Ya gotta feed your pets, this one eats something you can't give it yet.

But you already know that, your first post mentions how you always read about the trouble with scooters, and you responded to the thread after the sticky was linked. I think you know better, and your conscience is going to bug you til you get right. Just bring him back lol

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
Unread 07/14/2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Nrupaw
Registered Member

I made the mistake of getting red scooter dragonet when my tank was new. I used to feed it H2o's Coral food mix. it has frozen copepods i think.

but overall the female died pretty quick. the male lasted a few months, and then managed to jump out of the tank. my tank has a glass lid, still don't know how he jumped out

Nrupaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2015, 01:48 PM   #11
yankeeslover
Registered Member

Thanks

i actually took the little guy/gal back.. I got a fire-fish and a banded serpant starfish instead.

Unread 07/14/2015, 02:09 PM   #12
Nrupaw
Registered Member

great. firefish gobies are fun. one of my favorites

Nrupaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2015, 07:13 PM   #13
CStrickland
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
i actually took the little guy/gal back.. I got a fire-fish and a banded serpant starfish instead.
I'm proud of you!