Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/12/2015, 12:08 PM   #1
dbulick
Registered Member

DIY Stand Doors

Has anyone used a closet sliding track to put doors on their DIY stands? Seems like this would be a great way to have full access to the inside of the stand, as well as being able to take the doors off easily if necessary? If you have done it can you post a picture of what yours looks like?

dbulick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

I wonder about just using easy-removal panels for such access. Maybe even some unfinished cabinet doors as from Home Depot. I'd be wary, however, of having any long-run unsupported opening, because just water running down the front glass from work in the tank can have its effect over time.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2015, 12:53 PM   #3
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbulick View Post
Has anyone used a closet sliding track to put doors on their DIY stands? Seems like this would be a great way to have full access to the inside of the stand, as well as being able to take the doors off easily if necessary? If you have done it can you post a picture of what yours looks like?
Are you talking about side by side sliding doors or Bi fold doors...

Either or would not make a very finished look. The Sliding doors would only give you access to half the opening at one time... But you could do them with hidden track system and inset them. Again taking up space inside the stand..

I WOULD Say either hidden hinge inset doors or as said above just get some pre made or have some doors made would be best. You can even do them magnetic or mechanical catches and NO Hinges ..

ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2015, 12:55 PM   #4
BAETech2004
Registered Member

I've had zero issues with support, I doubled two-bys above opening. My LFS built a stand with a sliding system. Only issue is you need the room to slide it open on both sides.

Current Tank Info: 34 Gallon Shallow, Cutsom Stand, Nanobox T5/LED Hybrid, Vertex Omega 130 Skimmer, Apex Controller, 20L Sump, Sicce 3.0 return
BAETech2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2015, 12:57 PM   #5
dbulick
Registered Member

Talking about the side by side sliding track. I will post a picture of what I have done so far. It isn't fonished, need to paint and trim out the doors etc. True you only have access to half at a time, but that's more than you would have with a traditional hinged door. I also wouldn't leave it unsupported for a long run. Having a center post doesn't inhibit access too much.

Unread 07/12/2015, 03:49 PM   #6
Reidchabot
Registered Member

Reminds of a build i saw awhile back, instead of sliding door track they used soft close kitchen drawer tracks. Only problem i could see would be door weight if you're making a larger stand. I attached a picture, and this is the build link.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5149_zpsbbc90db9.jpg (58.2 KB, 558 views)
Reidchabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2015, 09:12 PM   #7
sleepydoc
Registered Member

If you want sliding doors, I've heard of someone using drawer slides. The problem with that is you need space for the drawers to slide over, so you could at most have access to half of the stand.

Other options include removable hinges like Erica suggested. These let you easily remove the doors when necessary, but otherwise have the convenience of operating like regular doors otherwise.

If you don't want hinges, a french cleat could work, or magnets - glue a horizontal strip of wood inside the door to rest on the bottom of the door opening, then some magnets at the top to hold them in place.

Unread 07/12/2015, 09:14 PM   #8
dbulick
Registered Member

My other problem is that I don't know that I would have enough room to open standard doors without moving our couch that is close to the tank as well.

Unread 07/12/2015, 11:07 PM   #9
fishresponse
Registered Member

Interested in this too. Anyone done a French cleat? Can you buy this at the big box stores?

265g w/ 20" synergy overflow box
Hamilton Cebu MH/T5 fixture w/ 250w Radium bulbs
SPS/LPS mix | 30g (long) refugium with cheato | 40g sump
fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2015, 07:55 AM   #10
dbulick
Registered Member

Here is what I have so far. Please excuse the lack of unfinished stuff. I am still going to trim around the doors, and paint everything that isn't painted yet. It is a work in progress needless to say. Overall I am happy with the functionality, not sure about the aesthetic yet though.

Unread 07/17/2015, 12:26 AM   #11
ThatReefGuyTV
Registered Member

Looks good

ThatReefGuyTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2015, 12:27 AM   #12
ThatReefGuyTV
Registered Member

I think I would try this

ThatReefGuyTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2015, 01:24 PM   #13
sleepydoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishresponse View Post
Interested in this too. Anyone done a French cleat? Can you buy this at the big box stores?

Usually people just make them - it's simply a 1 x 3 ripped at a 45° angle. I'm pretty sure most home centers sell molding that would also work. You can also make some with a router.

Unread 07/18/2015, 08:38 AM   #14
dbulick
Registered Member

I am almost done finishing the area with the sliding doors, life moves slow on projects when you have a 2 year old and pregnant wife. I will post some new completed pictures today.

Unread 07/19/2015, 10:20 PM   #15
fishresponse
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
Usually people just make them - it's simply a 1 x 3 ripped at a 45° angle. I'm pretty sure most home centers sell molding that would also work. You can also make some with a router.
Thanks for the info

265g w/ 20" synergy overflow box
Hamilton Cebu MH/T5 fixture w/ 250w Radium bulbs
SPS/LPS mix | 30g (long) refugium with cheato | 40g sump
fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2015, 07:29 AM   #16
laga77
Registered Member

I have sliding doors on my 120 stand. They are 1/2 plywood panels with veneer strips on the edges for appearance. They sit in tracks mounted on the outside on the cabinet made out of oak strips. They are made so they can be slid from side to side or lifted out for removal.

Current Tank Info: 50G SPS/NPS Reef, 120G Mixed Reef, 120G FOWRL, 29G Seahorse tank, 20G Observation tank,
laga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2015, 01:17 PM   #17
s2nhle
Registered Member

Tagging along. Thank you for sharing.

s2nhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 09:53 AM   #18
dbulick
Registered Member

Ok, took me a lot longer to get to this than I expected, still not done, but close enough that you can get the idea. I am happy with the functionality, with my couch so close to the stand I wouldn't be able to open traditional doors. I need to put trim on the corners of the stand still and figure out what I want to do with trim at the top, but that will wait for another day. Also ignore the lights not being straight, that is yet another project.

Full Stand, notice the couch on the right side I had to stand on end to get out of the way.

Doors closed. Still need to trim corners of stand.

Doors Open
[/URL]
Can slide the doors of the rail to the right or left if you needed full access for some reason.

Last edited by dbulick; 07/22/2015 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Forum Pictures rather than links.
Unread 07/23/2015, 04:16 AM   #19
kinnadian
Registered Member

My tank stand doors are held on by magnets (one in each corner).

I can take the whole door off and put it to the side without having to have it on a hinge or a runner.

kinnadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 07:48 PM   #20
rimless75g
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAETech2004 View Post
I've had zero issues with support, I doubled two-bys above opening. My LFS built a stand with a sliding system. Only issue is you need the room to slide it open on both sides.

How big is the stand? It looks like it fit a 75 gallon tank. That is a soild build.

rimless75g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 10:22 PM   #21
ryan968
Registered Member

I prefer euro style cabinet hinges. They function like a normal door and when you need to remove them, it is quick and easy.

ryan968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 11:10 PM   #22
yamaha racer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan968 View Post
I prefer euro style cabinet hinges. They function like a normal door and when you need to remove them, it is quick and easy.
I agree, everything I build have Blum hinges. Fully adjustable and pop off literally in a half second. Top notch as well. Although u usually need a jig for the boring process, you can also try your local cabinet shop. Most have a boring machine and you could probably buy the hinges too from them at a good price. And if I remember correctly the plate is only .25" thick so it takes up almost no space

yamaha racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 07:23 AM   #23
thestreetzking
Registered Member

my plan was to just use magnets on a front panel, keep it clean and simple, but my tank is not running a sump so I dont need to access it that often

thestreetzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2015, 09:35 AM   #24
dbulick
Registered Member

The issue I was trying to solve was not being able to open the doors if they were on hinges. Had I gone with magnets that could have worked, but then I would just be removing the doors every time I ever needed to do anything.

I would say that this is probably not for everyone, but so far I am really enjoying the functionality of being able to just slide the door out of the way and then put it back when I am done.

Unread 07/25/2015, 11:28 AM   #25
markandamb
Registered Member

Cool I like the doors. I like the magnet idea as well

markandamb is offline   Reply With Quote